Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

So We're About A Week Out From The Firmware Anniversary Give Or Take...

RipperShred

Whose taking bets on whether the new firmware will drop around then? I mean, being the neurotics that we are, there's significance in the anniversary of the update and high (albeit groundless and without any real reason) anticipation over it.

I'm personally curious as to whether the firmware will advance the platform, but have my ear to the ground as to what other companies (i.e. digitech pretty much said they're releasing new flagship floorboards/FX processors shortly) and starting a new gear fund, putting up guitars for sale, etc. for a kemper, axe ultra/II, whatever. I love my HD PRO, and shortly it will either become my backup rig, or depending on the next update, maintain its place as my go-to processor.

I'm waiting with baited-breath to see what's going to happen in the weeks to come.

Well I wanted to know what's the time gap between the penultimate firmware and the last one of the "first generation" PODs and what I've found out is:

1) POD XT: Two years between the two

2) POD X3: One year between the two

So, place your bets folks...

Prediction:  A firmware update is imminent. It will be a significant update I believe. We could move from 2 to 3.0. It might even be ready, but I personally sense that it will not come out until Digitech unveils their new modeling which will be in the next couple of weeks.  I personally can't wait to see what Digitech come up with to see how line6 will counter.

• Upvote 1

My prediction is we're not getting anything.  I think Line6 is working on their next gen hardware and that's atleast a year away.  The competitors will catch up and maybe even be get slightly ahead then Line6 will jump back out in the lead next year.  btw - I hope I'm wrong.

I just hope in the future that Line will have a low end line like the HD300, then an HD500 for most people, and a high end line that kind'a competes with Axe and Kemper but for under a $1000 bucks.

• Upvote 1

I just hope in the future that Line will have a low end line like the HD300, then an HD500 for most people, and a high end line that kind'a competes with Axe and Kemper but for under a $1000 bucks.

A hd 1000 would be a must for me, for a logical price 800$ about.

Prediction:  A firmware update is imminent. It will be a significant update I believe. We could move from 2 to 3.0. It might even be ready, but I personally sense that it will not come out until Digitech unveils their new modeling which will be in the next couple of weeks.  I personally can't wait to see what Digitech come up with to see how line6 will counter.

Hope you are true. When digitech will put the new for sale?

A hd 1000 would be a must for me, for a logical price 800$ about.

Hope you are true. When digitech will put the new for sale?

They already released the update for the lower end RP series and leaked out RP360 on sweet water website and then took it down. So far the effects have been upgraded with better algorithms but the modeling hasn't. Their rep hinted that in the next couple of weeks they will release upgrades to the RP500 and 1000 and that will include updated newer Amp Modeling algorithms.

If you look at what has leaked out so far,  their new RP360 has 40 seconds looper and advanced effects algorithms (tons of effects) and it's under $200! Once the new units with new amp modeling are released, I think line 6 will answer with updating their HD. If they don't,  Digitech will steal the show and sales this Christmas. I highly doubt line 6 will release new hardware. The HD series is a top seller and with update to 3.0 they will sell even more. Take a look at the bottom of the page in the link for what Digitech will sell for under 200.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=1331617&page=2

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I'm REALLY curious as to the successor of the gsp1101, and how that will measure up. I sold my GSP1101 to buy an HD PRO because I wanted dual amp setups, and the modeling on the amps it does have is better, but MAN O' MAN do I miss all the functionality of that unit. If the HD PRO's amp models weren't so good I would've switched back immediate. The midi implementation on the GSP1101 was leaps and bounds better than HD PRO's. You could pick any parameter, and set it to the expression pedal or a cc on/off button and be good to go, and I mean ANY parameter, and any number of parameters to a single button, or multiple buttons. The sky's the limit. And thanks to "Stan" and the must-be-beta program, there were SO MANY amp models, and they were good too, not quite as good as the HD equivalents, but more than respectable. Not to mention global EQ, 3-band selectable parametric EQ, all with actual Hz, db, and Q bandwith parameters... 

*edit* forgot to mention that with the unofficial firmware update, it does USER IRs. Which is a game-changer in itself. And if memory serves me, you can actually send a the full amp signal + IR out via the XLRs, and just-preamp out to a poweramp/combo amp via the 1/4" outs. Friggin' awesome.

lol, I'm gushing over it. :P Anyways, if they've made a new rack mount unit, with modeling as-good-or-better-than the HD series... Well, I'll have to take a good hard look at it, because other than dual amps, slightly better amp models, and the flexible FX routing options of my HD PRO, I'd still be rocking that GSP1101. I mean, it's still a contender and has an MSRP a good 200 bucks less than the HD PRO does, and you're not sacrificing that much with the price drop.

Like I said before, I'm waiting with baited-breath; it's a good time to be in the modeling community. Digitech bringing all this healthy competition to the affordable preamp/FX arena means that Line 6 will have to "nut up, or shut up." :D

I really think there are two questions:

1. When will they announce a Firmware Change.

2. When will they release a Firmware Change.

There could easily be 9 months between question 1 and question 2.

That's right. And there could easily be more than that from now to Q1. In fact, it could be never............ ;) ....... and I'll still be very happy that my HD500 is now even better than when I bought it. And I thought my money was well spent way back then.

That's right. And there could easily be more than that from now to Q1. In fact, it could be never............ ;) ....... and I'll still be very happy that my HD500 is now even better than when I bought it. And I thought my money was well spent way back then.

But what if Digitech new releases have similar amp modeling but better effects, better yet what if what digitech releases in the next few weeks are regarded by the market as being better amp models and better effects. You might still hold on to the POD but many would be selling and switching and sale would suffer. Line 6 wouldn't allow this to happen if they can and the least they can do is update. I'd be willing to bet that a huge update is imminent and is just a matter of time, based on the reception  of the new digitech product. If digitech is a flop, the update can be a paid update, but if it's a home run, Line 6 will very likely provide a free update. If they're not ready for this, the CEO should be conducting a  talent management project 

Silver I agree the HD500 as it sits is a good value. However, it is a flawed product!!!! That could be enhancde to realize its potential.

Karl,

I have owned POD Pro, XT Live, X3L,and the HD500. I seems that each release improved on features and sonic quality until the HD. The HD product had a significant increase in sonic quality but a step back in features that we came to expect.

As I said the HD500 as it sits is a good value.

We could start a new thread. But here are just a few nits.

1. Limited DSP. Yes I know the X has been released. I would upgrade to the X if I understood how long Line 6 is comittmented to this architecture. Not knowing means I would have to risk my precious GAS allocations, to a product that might be obsoleted by a new product sooner than expected......Yes I know this isn't firmware but the fact that an underpowered product was initially released forcing the X release a year of so latter really means I have to purchase the X to get the power that most expected from the HD500. Essentially 2X $.

2. Improved equalizers (percent vs actual freq) really.......When they were designing and testing these features, I'm sure a guitarist was not part of the review. Come on, is there anyone who can make a defense of this with a staight face. These might be sonically the best equalizers aroung, but the total fail at the user interface makes them difficult or (flawed).

3. Flexible outputs ( 1/4 inch and xlr) ( don't know if this is a firmware issue or hardware). We had all this in X3l. I know all the arguments back and forth, buyer beware, do your homework. Look at all the features vs the cost. I am sure that most of the loyal Line 6 PODers just assumed the the cool connectivity/recording features that were part of X3l would be part of the HD500. Why wouldn't they? It is what made the X3l a great piece of gear.

4. Improved fx. Those chorus fx(s) in particular could use some work.

5. But let me say this when you hook it up to a JTV-69 and a L2t. It is the best solution I have ever had.

• Upvote 1

So, out of the five things you said, only two of those are something you could fix with a firmware update.  Maybe.  The EQ and the chorus.  And I agree with both of those.  But does that make the unit flawed as you said?

My point here being that no firmware update is going to make the HD500 live up to its full potential if those 5 things are the criteria.

I don't expect an update any time in the near future. Line 6 ran into a problem with the HD line of products. The chip they were using became unavailable. So they incorporated a new chip in the HD500 first, which added a little extra DSP, and they made some slight changes to the chassis. The 500X was born. They added the new chip to the PRO, due to the same problem and now we have the PROX.

I don't believe Line 6 plans to continue producing the HD300 or 400, but I'm sure they want to keep the Bean. Which means we would probably see a BeanX first (Unless that chip was different) and then maybe... just maybe, a firmware update. But the problem with the chip had to be solved first before they could continue to work on any updates.

For now, I like what I'm getting from my HD500, so I'm happy.

Karl,

Regardless of how you fix the problems there are still problems. You are aright that firmware releases alone might not be able to solve all things HD. Delivering a great piece of equipment at $500, is a series of engineering trade offs. I get it.

Here is the paradox. At $500 this is arguably the best modeling solution ever......eventhough it is flawed.....

• Upvote 2

I think in trying to give the consumers everything, they went too far.  The internal signal path is too complicated.  Most people don't notice it, but when using the 4CM method it causes problems.

I do want an update with more amps.  Fixing the EQs and maybe the choruses.  That would be enough to finish off the product and move on to the next one.

The next floor unit should have more footswitches, multiple routing choices that are simplified, better outputs (so you can run to an amp and to PA at the same time).

I know you can't please everyone, but I think they didn't need a 300,400, 500, bean, and Pro.  Or they could have made them more different from each other to better satisfy consumer needs.

I love my POD HD 500 but I sometimes wish I had the simplicity of the XT back.

• Upvote 1

Personally I would like to see the facility to use all 8 FS switches to change patches and the output options already mentioned.

More amps? Fewer would be fine by me, given the amount of customisation you are able to achieve, and I think the 8 fx blocks system (subject to dsp limitations of course) is more than adequate.

My rig is a Variax (300 and a JTV69) and HD500 and there is little I can't do with it. The only aspect that I don't like is the 4 patch switching compared to my old RP1 which had 10.

I think in trying to give the consumers everything, they went too far.  The internal signal path is too complicated.  Most people don't notice it, but when using the 4CM method it causes problems.

I completely agree.  4CM with the HD500(x) should be as simple as it is with the M13.  It isn't.  You get a 4dB drop at the effects send if you have the loop configured at Stomp level, and that's problematic because you don't want a lower signal going to your amp.  Fortunately, there are several good ways to fix this that don't involve taking up an additional effects block:

1.  Input configuration:  Input 1: Guitar, Input 2: Aux (In this scenario, we're not going to use both parallel signal paths.  You really don't need to.)

2.  Make sure the amp model is disabled and in the "Pre" position.

3.  Set the left mixer channel pan to center.

4.  If the FX Loop level is at Stomp, you will need to put the FX loop AFTER the mixer and set the level of the left channel to +4dB.

5.  If the FX Loop level is at Line, you can put it before or after the mixer but there will be a +8dB boost at the send.  Set the loop's send to -8dB.

Either of these approaches work, but I prefer the loop level at Line and decreasing the send level because then you aren't adding noise by boosting something.

Once you get past this problem, 4CM isn't that bad.  But the fact that I had to troubleshoot this with signal generators and meters means that it isn't intuitive at all.  And it certainly isn't as simple as the M13.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Karl.  That's a great summation for the 4CM and the POD HD.

Here's my problem with it (not you, with Line 6).  Your input configuration can no longer be global (if you like to use the POD to practice with headphones or any other mode) and you have set every preset this way if you are using the 4CM.  That's a pain.

Why is the amp model disabled and in the "Pre" position?  Can't you just choose "no amp?"

Has to do with how the stereo is mixed down from pre effects.

Yes, you won't be able to globally assign input configuration.  But I look on that as a good thing.  It lets you be free to develop dual tone patches, single amp patches, patches with disparate inputs, etc, and not be tied down to a single configuration.

I still use the line 6 pod X3 bean, and Pod Farm for several years now.  However, I will be upgrading amp/FX modelling before too long. The Pod HD500x was one of the top contenders due to its price:quality ratio.  As well as its availability, features, popularity (for "community" support, and patches) But its not without its flaws, which is why I haven't done it yet.

Its nice that Digitech is releasing something new soon.  I started out with a Digitech RP300 back almost a decade ago, then later on a GNX2.  (most amp models were meh, but it had a nice rectifier model, and a nice "acoustic" amp model that sounded good through my old Fender Stage 112 SE amp that I had starting out) 

But I am sure Digitech has updated there modelling, and FX quality once, or twice since then, and I hope they are doing it this time. Might go that route, especially if it can load custom IRs, and If it has the flexible routing I need.  (as I just do home-studio recording)

If Digitech can deliver yet another step up in quality/flexibility at a similar price point, then I will be even more glad I waited, although I also have my eyes on any real updates that Line 6 has in store to compete.

you mean updates about this imagined update that everyone is dreaming up....?

I would not be sitting around waiting on an update.... 

especially one that's based on desires and wishlists, rather than actual show stopping bugs.

room for improvement? always....

critical issues needing resolved? not so much....

Any news?

• Upvote 1

you mean updates about this imagined update that everyone is dreaming up....?

I would not be sitting around waiting on an update.... 

especially one that's based on desires and wishlists, rather than actual show stopping bugs.

room for improvement? always....

critical issues needing resolved? not so much....

I feel EQs are a critical issue.

well they've been like that since release... and they do work... are they the most intuitive? not really....

i can't speak to their internal thoughts on the matter...

but given that the HD's have been out for 3 years as is...

it's pretty safe to guess that they don't agree with your assessment.

I feel EQs are a critical issue.

As much as I think there will updates, the POD as is from day one has been good enough for whatever task at hand. Effect processor, Modeler, Controller, sound card. Unfortunately many guitar players like variety and change and that's also pushed from the industry to get them to buy new products. If you think about it the improvements in the last 50 years mainly have been only in convenience. Guitar Amps and mics have been producing the same sounds for more than the last fifty years. There are so many options out there it's not even funny but where the HD sits there's really none when it comes to amp modeling. Under $500 the POD has the best amp models period.

In a few weeks things will definitely change when DIgitech releases their new Modeler, controller, Sound card at a similar price to Line 6's offerings. If the competition is serious where the modeling is comparable to HD, I think line 6, at a minimum,  will have to give updates and who knows they might even start giving rebates!! Who knows, they might even start communicating directly with the customers in this company forum and warm up their frigid attitude and aversion to communicating with us commoners who can only afford to buy their "affordable" products. :mellow: