Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix?? What is it???

Inerzia

Except this blows the AX8 out of the water from a feature standpoint.

Keep in mind the AX8 is only effects only no amp modeling. A lot of people overlook this.The AX8 is a FX only processor to be run in the loop of a amp.

This Helix price point is what you would expect from something like this. So I don't think it is expensive based on what it is.

End of summer and no bluetooth or wireless on any sort.

it's practically got an ipad built into the front of it for editing :)

Is there a release date? and will this have bluetooth for editing via Ipad and Android devices

L6LINK will work more like the stagesource... but will work with DT amps

Does that mean no preamp models?  Just the full amp models that can obviously be played through a tube amp if you want to?

no... still has pre-amps etc...

it's just been simplified....

as in left and right output rather than amp 1-4 and placing them left or right etc.

some of it is still being worked out, so can't be a whole lot more specific (as i simply don't know...)

Does that mean no preamp models?  Just the full amp models that can obviously be played through a tube amp if you want to?

• Upvote 1

What kind of modeling engine is Helix running?

Helix utilizes an all new advanced dual-DSP processor architecture we call the HX Modeling Engine. Although a few popular HD effects models have been meticulously converted (and enhanced with more control and nuance), the vast majority have been modeled in Helix from the ground up. Aside from our high-gain favorites Elektrik, Doom, and Epic, which have been rebuilt using the new architecture, all amps and cabs have been created from scratch in HX.

Can I load third-party or my own custom IRs (Impulse Responses)?

Yes. IRs are loaded into Helix via the Helix Mac/PC software. They will then be available from special IR blocks that can be placed anywhere on your signal paths. Helix can store up to 128 1024 or 2048-point IRs, and a preset can run up to four IRs simultaneously (DSP permitting).

Fourteen LCDs… Really?

Yes, really. All that feedback makes a huge difference in the heat of the gig, especially when you custom label and/or custom color your switches. It also means we have more feature design flexibility in the future, because functionality isn’t restricted by chassis silkscreen.

Where are the tonestack knobs?

Under the big LCD. Since Helix can run up to four amps simultaneously (DSP permitting), pressing the AMP button quickly cycles through the tonestacks of any Amp+Cab, Amp, and Preamp blocks in a tone.

Where’s the Looper switch?

The Looper block is treated like any other effect—It can be placed anywhere on any of the four paths, or even routed to its own output. You can assign it to a footswitch or ignore it completely.

Where are the FX Loops?

Helix has four sends and returns that can be used separately, used together as an FX loop, or stereo linked. They can also act as additional inputs and outputs for processing keyboards, drum machines, or even other modelers—simultaneously.

Can I reamp?

Yes. You can reamp two instruments simultaneously. You can even choose which two physical inputs will be sent dry to your DAW.

This all sounds pretty deep. Is Helix easy to use?

STUPIDLY so. Nearly all day-to-day tonesculpting—from Variax string tuning to deep amp parameters to output routing and everything in between—is accomplished from one unified home screen. Just touch the desired footswitch (they’re capacitve touch) and turn the knobs. There—that’s 90% of your tweaking. Read the included one-page Helix Cheat Sheet and you’ll be a power user before you open the box.

More advanced features such as footswitch and controller assignment have shortcuts to get you the results you want at nearly the speed of thought. For example, you can assign your Variax’s tone knob to control delay feedback in roughly three seconds. Want expression pedal 3 to control looper playback level? Three seconds. The mod wheel on your MIDI keyboard to control rotary speaker speed? Three seconds. In many ways, it’s actually faster to tweak from the hardware than it is the editor.

Helix also has this cool Pedal Edit mode, which lets you adjust all of your amp and effects parameters without taking your hands off the guitar.

How’s the build quality?

Helix’s top panel is carved from a solid block of aluminum (like a Macbook Pro you can stomp on) and its side panels and treadle are solid aluminum as well. There’s no metal protection bar because our lead tester kicked the crap out of the metal knobs and they worked flawlessly. (I’m trying to convince Line 6 to upload the video.)

What’s the difference between Helix and Helix Rack?

Along with the Helix Control remote, Helix Rack’s workflow and feature set is virtually identical to that of Helix. Plus you get duplicate expression pedal jacks, a 1/4†analog bypass (buffered) output, AES/EBU in, and Wordclock in with terminator switch. Presets can be freely shared across both units with no file conversion required.

Why is Helix Rack 3 spaces? Couldn’t you have crammed it into 2 spaces?

No, but we tried. The color screen is far too large and there are too many ins and outs to fit into 2RU.

So how much is it?

Helix is $1499. Helix Rack is also $1499. Helix Control is $499.

When is Helix available?

We’re on track to ship Helix by the end of summer. Helix Rack and Helix Control should ship sometime in the fall.

If the same questions keep being asked, I’ll add to this list.

• Upvote 1

Wow this is a bold move for Line 6. They are approaching Kemper / Fractal territory...here is hoping the sounds / feel of the unit meet or exceed the marketing hype. The board is beautiful with exceptional features....hopefully it will yet again turn the industry on its head...

• Upvote 1

more specifics on the use with a dt25/50  would be great as i liked how the hd500x works with the dt25...i just hope the helix editor may show you the various power amps inthe dt25 to work with when the l6 link is used....this was a shortcomming with the hd500x editor...i am a visual person so i would have liked to have a dt editor as well..

no, will be it's total own thing.... 

although all of the HD amps that were in the model packs do have HX models included... so model pack isn't needed anyway.

Will the new model packs apply to the Helix or are they already included?

I'm pretty stoked about the new editing features.  I've been wanting this for a long time with the POD's.  I always found the POD's to be a bit of a nuisance that would get me out of the flow.  I hope it's as stupidly simple and easy to use as they say.  The less time I have to spend hunting or clicking the better!

you can even edit with the footswitches standing up... it's nice!

and the interface on it is very easy as well..

I'm pretty stoked about the new editing features.  I've been wanting this for a long time with the POD's.  I always found the POD's to be a bit of a nuisance that would get me out of the flow.  I hope it's as stupidly simple and easy to use as they say.  The less time I have to spend hunting or clicking the better!

Keep in mind the AX8 is only effects only no amp modeling. A lot of people overlook this.The AX8 is a FX only processor to be run in the loop of a amp.

This Helix price point is what you would expect from something like this. So I don't think it is expensive based on what it is.

The AX8 is something different than the FX8, which is effects only.

more specifics on the use with a dt25/50  would be great as i liked how the hd500x works with the dt25...i just hope the helix editor may show you the various power amps inthe dt25 to work with when the l6 link is used....this was a shortcomming with the hd500x editor...i am a visual person so i would have liked to have a dt editor as well..

It's important to note that Helix does not behave like HD500X when it comes to L6 LINK communication. It acts much more like HD500X and StageSource; that is, one DT will receive a mono signal and two will split the signal hard left and right. There's no tapping off from various points in the signal, although Helix's flexible routing makes this very easy to accomplish this manually. Unfortunately, at launch, there will also be no automatic topology recall, although if you're willing to hook up a MIDI cable as well, some of this can be accomplished via the Command Center page's Instant commands.

Helix's engine is completely different from HD500X's, and much of the functionality of the current DT Dream Rig simply can't apply to the new routing architecture. We're still not sure how deep down the L6 LINK rabbit hole we want to go, so anything's possible.

how is it with Variax acoustics?  anything special for acoustic stuff?  any new synth effects?

Helix works great with Variax Acoustic or regular acoustics (either via piezo or mic'ed up—the mic pre sounds great).

We have a new crazy 3-oscillator synth that's totally bugnuts. You have to kinda know synthesis to get the most out of it tho'; the thing has 24 parameters.

• Upvote 3

Helix's engine is completely different from HD500X's, and much of the functionality of the current DT Dream Rig simply can't apply to the new routing architecture. We're still not sure how deep down the L6 LINK rabbit hole we want to go, so anything's possible.

...the "current" DT Dream Rig...?

Did you hear that people? Digital_Igloo said that Line 6 is coming out with a New DT series amp that will work with HELIX!!!!

NEW DT SERIES AMP IS COMING SOON ACCORDING TO DIGITAL_IGLOO!!!!!

You heard it here first!!!!

:D

always a good idea to throw things on ideascale....

see what happened with all the previous ideas?!

:D

I think a new DT series amp and Variax are inevitable. I would just like to see some backwards compatibility with the existing products. Should I create an Ideal Scale request? It's never too early.

well i will keep my dt25 for use with my hd500x....i mean i can still get the hd500x to sound very very good...if i get the helix i will use both setups i guess...unless the helix just blows the pants off the hd500x....they i will likely sell it with the dt25 as a combo setup to someone..I still use an older vox valvetronix vtx amp and a tonelab se and le and they sound amazing to me...so just because its older doesnt mean its bad.