phil_m

The "Show your HX Effects pedalboard" thread

Because, why not?

Here's mine:

LcPjnUU.jpg

The underside:

SWss5wj.jpg

It's a Pedaltrain Novo 24. I have all the pedals on the top going through the Loop Expander and that's in one of the HX Effect's FX Loops. Those pedals are in turn controlled by MIDI (the Meris pedals get MIDI through the little Meris MIDI I/O on the right). Everything is powered by two Strymon Ojais.

• Like 5

Pedalboard is a custom made Pedal Pad. Everything is powered by a Walrus Audio Phoenix power supply with the exception of the vocal processor.   ODs are going through the Mesa Live Wire, into the HX Effects.  EQ is through FX Loop 2 on the HX Effects as I wanted quick access to EQ changes.  HX Effects controls my Mesa or Marshall.  

57DDD84C-4421-46F1-B9EE-D3A823320E60.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/29/2018 at 4:17 PM, TRENDKILLCFH333 said:

Pedalboard is a custom made Pedal Pad. Everything is powered by a Walrus Audio Phoenix power supply with the exception of the vocal processor.   ODs are going through the Mesa Live Wire, into the HX Effects.  EQ is through FX Loop 2 on the HX Effects as I wanted quick access to EQ changes.  HX Effects controls my Mesa or Marshall.  

57DDD84C-4421-46F1-B9EE-D3A823320E60.jpeg

WOW!! That HX isn't going anywhere!!

• Haha 1

On 6/29/2018 at 5:31 PM, phil_m said:

Because, why not?

Here's mine:

LcPjnUU.jpg

The underside:

SWss5wj.jpg

It's a Pedaltrain Novo 24. I have all the pedals on the top going through the Loop Expander and that's in one of the HX Effect's FX Loops. Those pedals are in turn controlled by MIDI (the Meris pedals get MIDI through the little Meris MIDI I/O on the right). Everything is powered by two Strymon Ojais.

Phil, do you have any issues with syncing the Decibel 11 to the HX effects? Since I swapped out my CS12 power supply and started using the Voodoo Labs PP2+ to power the Decibel 11 and my pedals and the Line 6 power supply to power the HX effects I've noticed the HX Effects boots up before the decibel 11 and for whatever reason the looper doesn't take commands from the HX BUT... if I reboot the looper everything is fine.... I'm assuming that when I had everything hooked up to the CS12 the HX booted up first then the Loop since I never had that issue till I changed the power supply.

Well, my pedalboard is in process of construction, I decided to go smallest as possible, just hxfx, mission exp pedal and a midi switcher for my amp channels, rev, eq, master, etc. I'll update when is getting done. 

IMG-20180625-WA0008.jpg

Here's mine..........

My brief was to get my pedal board as simple as possible. I have a bit of OCD when it comes to pedals effecting the amp sound.....If I could I would have one lead going direct into my orange Rockerverb III100, but I need a wah, flanger, and the ability to turn the attenuator on and off on the amp.....Hence the helix Hx. It was basically the first multi effects unit I've seen that may be able to do everything I need.........

I use it in stomp mode, with a flanger, boost, delay, and wah all available on tap, and with one button called 'solo' which I use when playing live to act as a switch for the attenuator on the orange to turn on or off (off for a solo, on for rhythm - basically gives a volume boost). So Im probably using 10% of the Helix features, but it does the job. My signal flow is now - Wireless receiver into Helix, into amp...Simple.

The onboard effects are good enough for me to put my previous pedals on ebay, but I'm yet to be convinced by the expression pedal doing the wah thing. I will be holding on to my Custom Audio wah until I've played live a few times, but I think I may have to put this back into the mix.

pedal board1.JPG

On 7/4/2018 at 10:14 AM, mgrainger said:

Phil, do you have any issues with syncing the Decibel 11 to the HX effects? Since I swapped out my CS12 power supply and started using the Voodoo Labs PP2+ to power the Decibel 11 and my pedals and the Line 6 power supply to power the HX effects I've noticed the HX Effects boots up before the decibel 11 and for whatever reason the looper doesn't take commands from the HX BUT... if I reboot the looper everything is fine.... I'm assuming that when I had everything hooked up to the CS12 the HX booted up first then the Loop since I never had that issue till I changed the power supply.

I have noticed the Loop Expander seems to be finicky about starting up. I'm assuming it has a large current draw at start-up, and if it doesn't get enough power, it shuts down. I've been leaving my HX turned off when I plug my board in and the just hitting its power switch after everything else has turned on.

When I first moved away from using/micing my amp, I still had my Elektron Analog Drive and also my H9 on the board. I soon realised that between the HX and AA6, I had everything I needed.

I use the HX as my master, using MIDI to change presets on the AA6. The EV5 controls a final volume block on the AA with the Mission attached to the HX. HX Presets are changed from an iPad which calls up the correct patch when I select the song; the HX is normally in snapshot mode.

The whole thing is cabled up 4CM meaning I can place HX effects before and after the Amp sections in the AA and still come out of the HX into the Cab section of the AA as the final output into the desk.

The best part is I think I've only really scratched the surface of what these 2 can do together.

David.

IMG_0316_1.jpg

• Like 1

My humble board.

Petty John Chime Drive in S/R 1.

Boiling Point in S/R 2.

Dunlop Volume(X)Mini for all the footwork stuffs.

I am fan of keeping things compact and lightweight.

HXEFX is an excellent solution.

This board will keep me occupied for a long time...beside from swapping out drives from my collection.

Henri.

20180706_165114.jpg

I have rearranged mine and am still waiting on 2-3 pedals. But I built this board to fit into my pt-jr case

52870551-9F98-4F54-BE22-B54BA996996F.jpeg

On 7/5/2018 at 4:30 PM, phil_m said:

I have noticed the Loop Expander seems to be finicky about starting up. I'm assuming it has a large current draw at start-up, and if it doesn't get enough power, it shuts down. I've been leaving my HX turned off when I plug my board in and the just hitting its power switch after everything else has turned on.

so.... got the new CS12 today, wired it up to power my entire board... and no issues, everything boots in the correct order... so that was a happy surprise! 

On 9/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, caberto1981 said:

So, I finished my pedalboard, is really small and light, not less pretty though. 

IMG-20180731-WA0039.jpg

IMG-20180731-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20180721-WA0023.jpg

Really like this, looks killer! Who made the board itself?

8 hours ago, ccouch7 said:

Really like this, looks killer! Who made the board itself?

Thanks! A friend of mine made it, with a little help from myself, I used to have a bigger pedalboard with individual pedals and a controller and I was looking for something smaller and more versatile. I have now all the effects I need and more, plus controlling all the features of my amp, a mesa boogie mark V. 

• Like 1

gUUzt44.jpg

It's not really a pedalboard per say, as mine is more a studio only setup. I'm controlling all pedals (besides the Riverside) via midi with Helix. Still a work in progress. I split the midi with a Midi Merger and that way I can send/receive midi info from Helix and from "Nixie" to control the patches in all 3 pedals from the Mac or from Helix.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 9/8/2018 at 5:33 PM, caberto1981 said:

So, I finished my pedalboard, is really small and light, not less pretty though. 

IMG-20180731-WA0039.jpg

IMG-20180731-WA0037.jpg

IMG-20180721-WA0023.jpg

I like that.   

Any chance your buddy would want to put some schematics/ plans out there for us other DIYers to try our hand at it?

I'm not as attentive to cabling as most :)

After many iterations, I'm pretty settled now...I certainly don't want to go through the pain of reprogramming again.

The 2 H9's run between the Stereo outs of the HX and the AA6 and the HX is the heart of the system.  

I use the AA purely as an Amp Sim and HX Blocks can run before the AA6 Amp or between the AA6 and the Cab (ie - what would be a 7CM with a "proper" amp)  - before it goes out to the 2 H9's.

The Roland controls final volume and the Mission is into the HX and con control HX and/or the H9's - I've got the odd preset where it controls all three at once :)

Having said it's settled, I have one fx loop spare in the HX and it's always just sitting there, winking at me...I've no idea what will go in there, but something will one day.

pboard.jpg.556b781ebae6b1bddea3ef0e70af78bb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I revised my HX Effects board once again over the weekend... I keep on getting rid of stuff, although I did make a few additions. I decided to take some of the things I had on my Stomp board and put them on this. I've found that I've been using my Stomp mainly as a standalone pedal when I use it, so this just makes more sense. I did have the Meris Enzo and Polymoon, the Chase Bliss Tonal Recall and Brother, and the Wampler Dual Fusion on here before. Those were all run through a Loop Expander and controlled by MIDI. I found, though, that the MIDI aspect just became too tedious for me to want to bother with it. Also, I found that I really like the dirt on the HX Effects just as much as the analog dirt. So what I decided to do was to use the DMC.micro as two additional stomp so I can control two dirt blocks in each HX Effects preset. That way I can focus my snapshots on everything else. This will be much nicer once 2.8 comes out with the whole snapshot ignore feature thing.

So here it is. This is the first time my board has been 100% digital, well, maybe ever.

mB8otQT.jpg

• Like 3

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gave up on the CB Brothers... :)

2 hours ago, DodgeGB said:

I'm glad I'm not the only one who gave up on the CB Brothers... :)

Yeah... I liked the way the Brothers sounded, but ultimately, I didn't think it sounded much better, if at all, than the drives in the HX Effects. I thought it would be cool to control it via MIDI, and I did, but, man, having a bunch of MIDI pedals that are essentially black boxes as the presets go is hard. You'd almost need to set up and Excel spreadsheet to keep track of everything. That's something I have no interest in doing... The other thing that really annoys me about the CB pedals are the little dipswitches. I understand they wanted to have a bunch of parameters that could be edited, but they are a pain in the butt to actually move.

• Like 1

That looks good.  What type of board is that?  I'm having a tough time finding on that's 'just right'.  24x14 is ideal, but the only one I can find in that size is the PT Novo 24.  I was hoping to find one with better cable management or an IO panel like the Rockboard or Friedman have.  The Rockboard 4.2 is a hair too small, and the 5.2 is way too big :(.  I can't find any specs on the shelf size on the Friedman, just the overall dimensions.

22 minutes ago, ajb1965 said:

That looks good.  What type of board is that?  I'm having a tough time finding on that's 'just right'.  24x14 is ideal, but the only one I can find in that size is the PT Novo 24.  I was hoping to find one with better cable management or an IO panel like the Rockboard or Friedman have.  The Rockboard 4.2 is a hair too small, and the 5.2 is way too big :(.  I can't find any specs on the shelf size on the Friedman, just the overall dimensions.

Hi, this is the middle sized Friedman board. It is very nice. Two levels and cable management is sweet. Also comes with the Wah ramp that you can move around if you desire. I bought four boards before this one was the perfect pedalboard for me.  The Waggi Pedalboard was odd...I sent it back...But I still have the Accel Pedalboard (Pictured) that is pretty cool.

B70753A4-AD0F-4B37-BB1C-9E76463C4DD7.jpeg

This may be my future pedalboard :)  This Temple Pedalboard system looks great for Helix.  This guy's Temple Helix board is ome of the best I've seen for full size Helix floor.

https://youtu.be/9iDVPobGzEg