Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

[SOLVED] Installed 2.8, Helix Rack bricked. Can't roll back. Boot Mode does fail.

PierM

*vandaag line6  duitland aan de lijn gehad en zij stelde volgend voor de usb kabel vervangen  
* eerst proberen met een ander usb kabel  =3 kabels geprobeerd en niets 
*6 usb poorten geprobeerd met 3 kabels en niets 

*ik kreeg steeds de melding op mijn updater dat hij de Line niet ziet "Select device to update" 

*dan een Nieuwe pc  geprobeerd met 2 usb poorten  en 3 kabels en nog steeds niets

wat hielp was alles van line 6 van je computer doen via uninstall maar ook alles ( ik had niets te verliezen)

dan heb ik nog 10 x de updater geinstalleerd en uninstaleerd maar nog steeds niets 

dan heb ik eerst: OPGELET : de helix edit 2.80 geinstallerd U MOET DIT DOEN VOORDAT U UW HELIX / HX FIRMWARE UPDATE! en  dan pas de line 6 updator 

dan de floorpedal opgetsart met knop 6 en 12 ingedrukt en zo vervolgens de updator nogmaals opgestart voor de 25 keer en nu kende hij de helix terug en ik kon zo terug de 2.80 patch hervatten dit duurde 5 min.

dus alles van de pc verwijderen van line 6

pc terug opstarten

EERST helix EDIT 2.80 installeren 

dan line 6 updatot 1.17

dan knop 6 + 12  en floorpedaal aanzetten 

dan de updator 1.17 

6 hours ago, lucky1967 said:

*vandaag line6  duitland aan de lijn gehad en zij stelde volgend voor de usb kabel vervangen  
* eerst proberen met een ander usb kabel  =3 kabels geprobeerd en niets 
*6 usb poorten geprobeerd met 3 kabels en niets 

*ik kreeg steeds de melding op mijn updater dat hij de Line niet ziet "Select device to update" 

*dan een Nieuwe pc  geprobeerd met 2 usb poorten  en 3 kabels en nog steeds niets

wat hielp was alles van line 6 van je computer doen via uninstall maar ook alles ( ik had niets te verliezen)

dan heb ik nog 10 x de updater geinstalleerd en uninstaleerd maar nog steeds niets 

dan heb ik eerst: OPGELET : de helix edit 2.80 geinstallerd U MOET DIT DOEN VOORDAT U UW HELIX / HX FIRMWARE UPDATE! en  dan pas de line 6 updator 

dan de floorpedal opgetsart met knop 6 en 12 ingedrukt en zo vervolgens de updator nogmaals opgestart voor de 25 keer en nu kende hij de helix terug en ik kon zo terug de 2.80 patch hervatten dit duurde 5 min.

dus alles van de pc verwijderen van line 6

pc terug opstarten

EERST helix EDIT 2.80 installeren 

dan line 6 updatot 1.17

dan knop 6 + 12  en floorpedaal aanzetten 

dan de updator 1.17 

Bedankt voor het, het is erg handig voor alle Nederlandse Lijn 6-gebruikers. Goed om te weten dat je de update uiteindelijk hebt voltooid. De beste wensen van de groep

• Like 1

On 7/19/2019 at 6:55 AM, Slimo said:

Boot failure entered update mode. Only boot option that does anything is 6+12 (Entered Update Mode!), everything else goes to boot failure screen with :-3 in top left.

Line 6 updater doesnt find any devices connected so cant update. Tried 2 different cables in EVERY USB slot. Restarted PC and everything else I can think of.

Please help, this is lollipop.

SAME PROBLEM on LT - Windows 7 -

Device Manager OK

LINE Updater NO DEVICE

EVERYONE PLS HELP ME !!! HELP ME !!! HELP ME !!!

Untitled.jpg

On 7/19/2019 at 12:51 AM, HonestOpinion said:

Hopefully you have backups as some of these wipe out presets but I would start rolling through the global reset options for your device.

Edited: There were some excellent solutions added after I posted this initially so please look at phil_m and some of the other posters' solutions before you resort to global reset options. These are for when all else fails.

Reset Options

Helix Floor/LT

Button Combination Description
2 LED light Fun
3 & 4 Test Mode
5 & 6 Global reset
7 & 8 Reset setlists to factory, Keep IRs
8 & 9 Reset setlists to factory, Clear IRs
9 & 10 Reset setlists to factory, Global reset, Clear IRs
10 & 11 Upgrades existing presets to latest format
11 & 12 Clear current preset
5 & 12 Clear setlists, clear IRs, Return system settings to default
6 & 12 Safe boot mode

To use Reset Options:

• Power off the Helix
  • Hold the desired button combination
  • Power on the Helix
  • Release the button combination

Please note: Buttons are numbered from top left to bottom right.

Helix Rack

Since the rack doesn’t have footswitches, you’ll instead hold down a combination of the 6 encoders that are below the main LCD screen as you’re booting up.

ENC2 & ENC3 Reset globals
ENC3 & ENC4 Restore stock presets and setlists
ENC4 & ENC5 Restore stock presets, setlists, and IRs
ENC5 & ENC6 Reset globals and restore presets, setlists, and IRs (entire factory restore)
ENC1 & ENC3 Rebuild all presets
ENC1 & ENC5 Clear all presets, setlists, and IRs
ENC1 & ENC6 Will enter Update Mode (This feature is only available on firmware v1.06.5 and higher)

HX Effects

Holding FS3 + MODE Will clear all Presets and IRs
Holding FS4+FS5 Will reset Global Settings
Holding FS5+FS6 Will reset Presets only
Holding FS6+TAP Will Perform factory restore (reset, Globals, IRs, and Presets)
Holding the right arrow ">" Will put the unit in a fail safe update mode. Use this when the HX Effects is in an un-recoverable state

HX Stomp

All 3 Footswitches Clears all presets/IRs
FS1+2 Resets presets and IRs
FS 2+3 Factory restore (globals, presets, IRs)

I followed the thread and I've tried all the steps. Doesn't seem to work for my Helix floor unit. I then tried doing a global reset with buttons 9 & 10 but that didn't work either. In fact, mone of the other button configurations worked either. Is my unit gone for good? Is there anything else I can do to get the unit working again?

2 hours ago, kdskyy said:

Device Manager OK

LINE Updater NO DEVICE

Untitled.jpg

You need to enter manually the update mode by pressing footswitch 6 + 12 at the same time while switching the helix on. 

8 hours ago, kdskyy said:

Device Manager OK

LINE Updater NO DEVICE

Untitled.jpg

Same exact problem... I uninstalled all L6 software, reinstalled and still not working. 

L6 said anything about this?

Already asked them for support. 

55 minutes ago, risingavalon said:

Same exact problem... I uninstalled all L6 software, reinstalled and still not working. 

Maybe you have the option to install the update from another computer? (I know it's not the best suggestion)

Win 10 1903 here. I had the boot failure. Entered update mode message. never recovered from it. After trying all I could read and think. Went to an old Win 7 never touched by Line 6 software and was able to update Helix Floor. Back to Win 10 1903. I see Line 6 driver 1.0.0.3 and the Line 6 Audio driver is also there *and it works). HX Edit 2.0 doest not see the HELIX Floor. Something is definately broken with the driver/Win 10/HX Edit but what to look next. I will have to go to the other Win 7 just to restore my presets. 

That's a tough updrade. Never had any trouble for the last 3.5 years. 

9 hours ago, timchoong said:

I followed the thread and I've tried all the steps. Doesn't seem to work for my Helix floor unit. I then tried doing a global reset with buttons 9 & 10 but that didn't work either. In fact, mone of the other button configurations worked either. Is my unit gone for good? Is there anything else I can do to get the unit working again?

If you've tried all the steps including trying all the USB ports, swapping cables, restarting computer or using a different one, restarting Helix, global resets, etc. then I would open a ticket/'phone call' with Line6 and let them help you out. What is your Helix displaying when you turn it on?

Finally solved by following the "Neederland" friend post.

After hanging up at 50%, the updater detected the 2.8 Helix LT but after trying to continue with the update it'd promt the "Error" message.

So,

With HX Edit 2.8 installed, I uninstalled helix update 1.17 and reinstalled it again.

Closed them, switched Helix LT on with buttons 6 & 12 pressed. (Forced update mode ¿?)
Launched Helix updater 1.17 with Helix LT on.

Then updater DID detect my LT (2.8).

Selected it and...
Device updated.

Phew.

Thank you all for the little bits of support here and there!

4 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

If you've tried all the steps including trying all the USB ports, swapping cables, restarting computer or using a different one, restarting Helix, global resets, etc. then I would open a ticket/'phone call' with Line6 and let them help you out. What is your Helix displaying when you turn it on?

Thanks for responding. Appreciate your other inputs too. 

The message displayed was the same as before: “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode”. The only different message was when pressing  buttons 6 & 12. 

I’ve put in a support ticket but not sure what else they can do. Not many options left if I can’t even set it to default factory settings. 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pilottes said:

Win 10 1903 here. I had the boot failure. Entered update mode message. never recovered from it. After trying all I could read and think. Went to an old Win 7 never touched by Line 6 software and was able to update Helix Floor. Back to Win 10 1903. I see Line 6 driver 1.0.0.3 and the Line 6 Audio driver is also there *and it works). HX Edit 2.0 doest not see the HELIX Floor. Something is definately broken with the driver/Win 10/HX Edit but what to look next. I will have to go to the other Win 7 just to restore my presets. 

4 hours ago, pilottes said:

Thanks for sharing. 

I’ll need to find an old computer to try this out. 

Agree. This upgrade is their worst ever. I’ve never had a worse experience with upgrades. Makes even Windows look good. 

• Haha 1

I had same problem with my rack and after much frustration and bitchin I plugged my Helix back into my USB hub after 6 hrs of trying to update and it worked, so much for following directions it screwed it up, thought I had a $1400 boat anchor!

Hey, guess who didn't read this thread before updating my helix rack? Yeah. But I didn't panic, came here, and read what some very helpful and informative people had to say to help everyone through this. 

My issue, I downloaded, and never updated HX Edit to 2,8. And when I locked up at 50%, I started looking for why. Found that one issue, updated the software, restarted with 1& 6 ENC buttons on the rack unit, started the update software and it completed the process...

Before you freak out (I know, these things ain't cheap and freaking out comes way easy), read this thread. A lot of people put in some worthwhile info for everyone to follow. 

To those posting helpful hints and tips. Thank you. It is much appreciated...

• Upvote 1

Mine is stuck in boot mode now after hours of it just spinning at 50% now my helix isnt seen by updater and even the the safe mode commands are doing nothing. Line 6 knew that tons of people were complaining and 2 days later they are still letting people download and brick their helix. I'm so made I'm screwed now.  I have show tomorrow this 3 day bulllollipop to respond  is goofy as hell. Anybody else have same issue and figured out how to fix it. I cant even reset it to factory reset.

** thanks for all the help switching computers and changing cables ended up working. The guy at music store thinks my computer is to new and pushed to much information at it. All I know is it didnt work and now it does. Apparently first gen helixs were having this issue. ****

Edited by jage73
Fixed it
  • Sad 1

40 minutes ago, jage73 said:

Mine is stuck in boot mode now after hours of it just spinning at 50% now my helix isnt seen by updater and even the the safe mode commands are doing nothing. Line 6 knew that tons of people were complaining and 2 days later they are still letting people download and brick their helix. I'm so made I'm screwed now.  I have show tomorrow this 3 day bulllollipop to respond  is goofy as hell. Anybody else have same issue and figured out how to fix it. I cant even reset it to factory reset.

You just need to try a different USB port and possibly a different cable and start the update over again. Eventually it should work.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, timchoong said:

Thanks for responding. Appreciate your other inputs too. 

The message displayed was the same as before: “Boot Failure. Entered Update Mode”. The only different message was when pressing  buttons 6 & 12. 

I’ve put in a support ticket but not sure what else they can do. Not many options left if I can’t even set it to default factory settings. 

Hang in there, Line6 will get it worked out for you. Sorry you have to go through the hassle. Assume you have already tried uninstalling the Line6 software and then going to the downloads page, scrolling past the "Flash Memory" file, downloaded the "HX Edit" 2.8 version and reinstalled and restarted the process. This works for a lot of folks. Some specific hardware jut seems to be more uncooperative than most but in several years now of updates I have almost never seen anyone with a bricked unit that can't be unbricked with the right sequence of actions or using another computer and cable. I can almost guarantee you will get a satisfactory resolution, stressful in the interim though I know.

• Like 1

Hang in there, Line6 will get it worked out for you. Sorry you have to go through the hassle. Assume you have already tried uninstalling the Line6 software and then going to the downloads page, scrolling past the "Flash Memory" file, downloaded the "HX Edit" 2.8 version and reinstalled and restarted the process. This works for a lot of folks. Some specific hardware jut seems to be more uncooperative than most but in several years now of updates I have almost never seen anyone with a bricked unit that can't be unbricked with the right sequence of actions or using another computer and cable. I can almost guarantee you will get a satisfactory resolution, stressful in the interim though I know.

Thanks for your encouraging words. Appreciate them.

Just to update you and everyone: my Helix is now working. What happened was the Helix device drivers on my computer were corrupted, and that prevented the computer (and the apps running on it) from recognizing the Helix. I don’t think it was the USB ports or the USB cable, or even the OS version.

I borrowed a working Helix from a buddy of mine because I scheduled to play in church this coming Sunday. My plan was to just copy my prefixes for the songs into his unit and delete them out when I’m done. But after I plugged his Helix in, none of the apps or the Device Manager could see it. With my unit, I thought it was because it was not booted up properly. With his working unit, I realized the issues were probably due to corrupted drivers. After downloading & reinstalling the drivers, I ran Line 6 Update again, selected my unit, and reinstalled 2.8 from the start. This time, zero issues. Didn't matter what was displayed on the Helix-the app just took over. It took only about 2 to 3 minutes to complete. Rebuilding my presets took much longer (I have a lot of them). Didn’t even need to restore any of my backups. All my stuff is still there, everything as I had left them, all intact.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to help, and for the encouragement. 

7 hours ago, jage73 said:

Mine was the same. My drivers were corrupted and that prevented my computer from seeing my Helix. I downloaded the Helix drivers again from the website and reinstalled. After that, the app could see the Helix as a device, and I ran the firmware update again. It worked without any issues. Didn't matter what was displayed on the Helix-the app just took over.

But before you run the update again, check that yours is the latest version of the Line 6 Updater. I read somewhere that 2.8 can only be updated with the latest version.

Probably a overall solution, to do before any action on the Helix, could be to install the new Edit package with Helix not connected at all, then reboot the PC, connect the Helix and install the update.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, risingavalon said:

Use other PC or Laptop - everything OK

For all who still have problems:

I don't know if it helps and only if you have tried all other steps befor:

First I would uninstall all line6 software/drivers. Restart your computer.

There is a tool called "USBdeview"

Windows saves all ever connected USB devices, this sometimes can cause problems with new devices.

Maybe there are still old Helix or USB drivers there, that block something.

If you find something, uninstall it(...at your own risk). But be careful here, don't remove still needed drivers / only remove line6Helix or unneeded(be sure!) USB-device drivers!

Then restart your computer. Install HXEdit2.8( check all the boxes and just let it install all the software and drivers), turn on the Helix and pray you can connect.

21 hours ago, risingavalon said:

I had the same problem. I have the Helix floor. Stopped at 50%, no recognition of the Helix, etc., etc. However, I've now successfully updated the Helix.

I rebooted in safe mode 6+12 (Entered Update Mode). Tried running the updater again, but it didn't see the Helix. Rebooted the Helix again whilst the updater was running and this time it saw the Helix. I was then able to successfully able to complete the update.

I am not convinced that changing ports, uninstalling, etc. solves the problem. I think it's just trying multiple attempts until it works and people are assuming that the changes they've enacted are causing it to work.

I finally tried the update this morning.

Followed instructions, backed everything up. 

I am on Win 10 (updated from Win 8), custom home built PC, using a 3rd party usb cable with lighted ends, going into a firefly (for jitters) and into a USB 3.0 port on the back of my PC. Same port I always use.

The update took about 25 minutes including Native, and restoring my backups. Everything seems to have updated without a problem. Loads as 2.80,  has new amp models, and so does Native. Has my presets too!

Thanks L6!

• Like 1

People I had the same problem, I followed the instructions to the tee but the update hung at the first boot fail message. Tried all the suggestions here with no joy. Finally tried plugging into every USB port and bingo one worked! Try plugging into everyone of your USB ports before you try all other ideas, would have savd me about 16 hours.

On 7/21/2019 at 8:03 AM, gjbellaby said:

I am not convinced that changing ports, uninstalling, etc. solves the problem. I think it's just trying multiple attempts until it works and people are assuming that the changes they've enacted are causing it to work.

I.T tech here.... changing ports, uninstalling old drivers, different cables, etc... etc... is definitely the most common problems/solutions related to any USB device. It just may not have been YOUR problem. 

• Upvote 3

On 7/21/2019 at 2:03 PM, gjbellaby said:

Hi,

Just to say that the post from "codamedia", above get my vote.

If you care to look at what Line 6 have to say about the USB situation - this is from 2006 and in 3 languages.

Just going to add my input to this issue..

Same as most here, got halfway through the update and it didn't finish, then continual errors every time starting the updater again.

Tried all the steps and suggestions, deleting drivers, re-installing drivers etc.

It turned out to be the cable. Now bear in mind the cable I was using is new and did everything else okay but as soon as I swapped it for an older cable, the update went straight through. Obviously the cable is a printer type USB cable so not that easy to find them lying around but nevertheless, that got it done.

Very strange and shouldn't be this difficult to update a piece of hardware but for what it's worth for anyone else at their wits end - try another cable!

On 7/26/2019 at 2:18 PM, Paulzx said:

Just going to add my input to this issue..

Same as most here, got halfway through the update and it didn't finish, then continual errors every time starting the updater again.

Tried all the steps and suggestions, deleting drivers, re-installing drivers etc.

It turned out to be the cable. Now bear in mind the cable I was using is new and did everything else okay but as soon as I swapped it for an older cable, the update went straight through. Obviously the cable is a printer type USB cable so not that easy to find them lying around but nevertheless, that got it done.

Very strange and shouldn't be this difficult to update a piece of hardware but for what it's worth for anyone else at their wits end - try another cable!

Although there are definitely defective USB cables out there on occasion, and swapping cables is a worthy troubleshooting step,  I think for some users it is actually the process of swapping out the cable, not the cable itself that actually enables their system to reconnect.  I would be curious to know if now that your upgrade is complete if your old cable works?

after 6 hours i gave up and decided reboot and try it again. first i pressed 6 and 12 keys while rebooting. updater didn't recognize the helix anymore even though windows did. installed the newest HX editor then tried updater again. running that update quickly now. it appears to be a usb driver issue. i didn't have to switch usb ports, but i did have to install hx edit 2.8 to get the new drivers.

my suggestion: backup your unit using the old hx edit.  then install hx edit 2.8 but don't run it. run editor. should be good to go.

AT LAST I SUCCEED! I did everything possible an Here is what I think of the problem 

You absolutly have to do the update by upgrading to Helix/Hx 2.80. 

NOT by downloading the last updater by itself you can find in the line6 Software area of their web site. if you do this you wont have the WinUSb 1.0.0.0.3 you need to carry on installing the firmware when needed. then your helix wont be detected anymore because of the lack of driver BUT A BAD ONE OF WINDOWS DATING FROM 2013... then the installation wont go further the updater will wait for connection on and on...

When you download Helix/HX 2.80 and install it  you will have within the line6 Updater a whole bunch of stuff beside that will permit you to succes at once.

1) install Helix/HX 2.80

2) Start the Helix pressing footswitch 6 and 12  the last ones on the right side of the pedal board:

789 10 11 12

3) then start the Line 6 updater program that COMES IN THE INSTALLATION OF HELIX/HX 2.80. NO other ones!

Then you will see you pedal board listed!

4) UPGRADE IT NOW!

At the 50% of the installation of the firmware there is the reboot of the Helix and guess what?  the USB drivers will be installed again in windows for some reason.... BUT  this time it will pass thrue. SORTED!

It got me really HAPPY after 5 hours.....!!!

Ricardo Guitare

My solution may be unique to me, or it may have been a coincidence, but I got the same 'stuck' at 50% as others after the reboot (waited 20 minutes for the post-reboot progress bar to proceed) - cancelled the update and rebooted the Helix (Floor) and still got the 'update mode' error on the Helix - and couldn't recognise the Helix in Line6 Update to repeat the update.

Reinstalled Helix Edit and that didn't work.

On a whim, I reinstalled it once more and instead of installing ONLY the Helix drivers (I only have a floor) as I did the first two times to save the unnecessary drivers, I let it install all three drivers including the one for HX Stomp, and the WinUSB driver that is described as "installs HX Effects drivers".

After that, my Helix Floor showed up again in Line6 Update. Let's see how this update cycle goes. Again, could have been a coincidence, but maybe one of those other drivers is necessary to recognising the mid-update machine.

Edit: Yep, just completed a problem-free and quite fast update!

On 7/29/2019 at 1:32 PM, TheHYPO said:

My solution may be unique to me, or it may have been a coincidence

Definitely not unique to you. I had tried everything in this thread to no avail. As soon as I let the WinUSB drivers install, the updater could see my Helix Rack again.

Without the "WinUSB" drivers, there's a random device that appears to the computer as "Msg Pipe" but doesn't have a driver. With these drivers installed, that same device shows up as "Helix Rack" and the updater can see the unit.

Edit: Interestingly, looking at the drivers that are installed when "WinUSB" is selected, the INF includes entries for basically every piece of Helix hardware. The architectural changes in 2.80 are clear since the Helix Drivers actually installs two packages simultaneously now, 1.92 (which works for any Helix unit pre 2.8) and 1.93 (which obviously applies to 2.80). To Windows a 2.80 Helix is a completely different piece of hardware than any earlier version. It also enumerates an extra device as mentioned above that the WinUSB drivers apply to. Not sure if this is for sending keyboard inputs to the PC, or perhaps a new way for L6 software to talk to the Helix, but it's clearly necessary for the update to complete.

The installer is a tiny bit misleading (imho) in that it can lead you to believe you don't need the WinUSB driver if you have a rack/floor/etc.

One thing is FOR SURE: NEVER UPDATE YOUR FIRMWARE ON THE DAY OF A SHOW! 

These steps worked for me with my LT...thank you risingavalon!!!! :-)

On 7/20/2019 at 10:56 AM, risingavalon said:

With HX Edit 2.8 installed, I uninstalled helix update 1.17 and reinstalled it again.

Closed them, switched Helix LT on with buttons 6 & 12 pressed. (Forced update mode ¿?)
Launched Helix updater 1.17 with Helix LT on.

Then updater DID detect my LT (2.8).

Selected it and...
Device updated.

On 7/26/2019 at 7:43 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Although there are definitely defective US cables out there on occasion, and swapping cables is a worthy troubleshooting step,  I think for some users it is actually the process of swapping out the cable, not the cable itself that actually enables their system to reconnect.  I would be curious to know if now that your upgrade is complete if your old cable works?

Yep, update completed first time when i used that old cable. Both my newer usb cable and the old one work for everything else, it was just with the helix update only the old one worked!

Certainly the update process is very temperamental, I would suggest having a couple of cables to hand for this as a last resort

8 hours ago, Paulzx said:

Yep, update completed first time when i used that old cable. Both my newer usb cable and the old one work for everything else, it was just with the helix update only the old one worked!

Certainly the update process is very temperamental, I would suggest having a couple of cables to hand for this as a last resort

Thanks for updating us on this.