Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Helix LT user.

I'm having an issue with the volume knob now - it was working last night for headphone control volume!

When I go to change the volume knob setting in Global Settings, the unit freezes.
Edited by Paolo_riffer
Clarification on model.

2 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

v2.91 will fix that, and boot time should remain as fast as v2.90.

Can't think why this huge bug wasn't caught in almost 9 months of beta testing.

What, for 9 months no beta tester turned the volume knob or used the footswitches immediately after turning on the unit?

Apparently not too many people used tap tempo, either.

• Like 1

Bugs observed on my Helix Floor 2.9.0 Firmware

1. Loss of sound while playing - connection to Powercab 112 Plus via L6 Link. 1 block used Amp Model Essex 30, Added Deranged Master, played a few notes and sound tailed off and crackled then silent.

2. Lock up of unit - think this occurred after changing preset, playing a few notes and then accessing Tuner

(Did the boot speed optimisation delay the loading of some modules to post boot e.g. Tuner?)

Dear all,

Regarding Vol issue.

I have posted silly typo at "Trial-01".

>(1) Trial-01
>Set Vol=0 (around 7 oclock),--snip--

Then tweak the vol, but nothing can be heard.

And one more new trial (Repeated 5 times, and reproduced)

(5) Trial-05 (Helix floor is turned off)
Set Vol=independent (Zero included, as you like), turn it on and boot.
Just leave helix, even after booted. Do not touch anything. (Boot + 30 sec. Total 50-60 sec).

Vol Ctrl is working :-) as normal.

New (maybe ?) bug. but it is not fatal at all.
I guess too nitpicky. It might be original design.
I dont remember how it was with FW-282, 280, etc.

GlobalSetting-->Display-->LED Ring=Off/Bright

Stomp/Preset mode-->Press and hold "MODE" switch-->into Edit mode
-->Select block (whatever, lets say Amp block)
-->FS1 (Gain) = bright red, the other FS = Off (not dim, as GlobalSetting)
-->press the other parameter (say FS3 Mid)-->FS3 =bright red, FS1 =remain dim red, not off.

LED of FS1 is supposed to be Off, I guess.

-->press the other parameter-->the FS gets bright red, previous LED ring =remain dim red, not off.
-->repeat the same for all parameters on the same page-->All FS,1--6, light red (bright/dim, not off)

-->next page-->FS1 (Master) = bright red, the other FS = Off (rest of behavior is same as above)
-->previous page-->FS1 (Gain) = bright red, the other FS = Off.

Helix LT, 2.90 firmware.

After upgrade from 2.82, I noticed the tap tempo flashing light was back on (I'd turned it off). Not a big deal, but...

Capacitive footswitches appear to be on all the time, even if you turn them off...

Global Settings > Stomp Select, go from Touch to Off, makes no difference to my LT. If I touch a switch, I still get the Bypass Asign screen.

The Global Settings - Stomp Select - Off doesn't stop the Bypass Assignment (or swap footswitch options) from popping up on touch, it never did that. It only stops Selecting Stomps (as the name describes) when touching the footswitch. At least that what I always remember seeing it do on my Helix Floor device. 

1 hour ago, Riprock said:

The Global Settings - Stomp Select - Off doesn't stop the Bypass Assignment (or swap footswitch options) from popping up on touch, it never did that. It only stops Selecting Stomps (as the name describes) when touching the footswitch. At least that what I always remember seeing it do on my Helix Floor device. 

Are you sure?

I initially had a problem in 2.82 with Controller Assign popping up when pressing switches by hand, and I stopped it by turning off the touch setting.

1 hour ago, SaschaFranck said:

Fwiw, LED rings of switches assignd to Snapshot commands still can't be color coded in 2.91. Not much of an issue, though.

As far as I can tell, it's there.

On device:

Push preset knob

Push rename snapshot encoder

Turn switch LED encoder

HX Edit:

Right click the snapshot field.

14 hours ago, Ilya-V said:

v2.91 will fix that, and boot time should remain as fast as v2.90.

Can't think why this huge bug wasn't caught in almost 9 months of beta testing.

What, for 9 months no beta tester turned the volume knob or used the footswitches immediately after turning on the unit?

Where are you getting 9 months from?

Anyway, sometimes bugs pop up in new builds that weren't there before.

• Upvote 1

Updated to 2.91 my Helix Lt but i still have lag issues with the meters, it seems to be a problem with the dynamics blocks, specially compressors.

When i load a preset all works good, but if turn the knobs and place it in a dynamics block all starts going slowly,  now when i play the meters needs much more time than before, like 8 seconds sometimes, and the if i activate the tuner it happens the same here. I dont know what to do.

• Upvote 1

I updated to 2.91 seemingly without issue. The meters started acting erratically but I didn't see the pattern. I rebooted, they worked fine.

But after a while of playing and editing on a patch, the output meters were  a couple seconds behind synch with the sound. If I don't play for a few seconds, the meters will die to nothing. If I hit a chord, they don't move until a few seconds later. I can't say whether the lag is constant, but it's at least a couple seconds. The compression meters on the LA comp were acting similarly with a big lag.

Changing presets doesn't change the problem.

On further investigation, meters on the output of Path 1 are fworking fine. It's only the meters on the output at the end of the 2nd path that were delayed. The compressor was in the B path.

I deleted most of the blocks in the 2nd path, including the delay and compressor. The output block on 2 still showed delayed, the output on 1 was still fine.

I added a compressor into Path 1. It's meters registered fine.  The meters on the output of path 2 were still lagging real time.

I rebooted the unit.  No output meters would register at all. But the meters on the compressor on path 2 were working correctly without lag.

I changed from snapshot view to signal routing view. The meters suddenly displayed, but were lagging. The meters on the compressor on path 2 were now also lagging.

I rebooted. The meters on path 2 were lagging by only about 1/2 second, as were the compressor meters. But the meters on the output of Path 1 were fine.

If there is a specific test you want me to do, let me know.

• Upvote 2

I'm on the Helix floor, I have the same issues I had with 2.90 and posted about now that I am on 2.91, I had sticking momentary midi footswitches on 2.82 but it was otherwise usable. 

I am getting total freeze/lockup after a few minutes of use with 2.90 and 2.91, not sure what's triggering it. I'll still get sound, but everything is locked up and unresponsive, footswitches, joystick, display etc... Basically requires a shutdown and reboot to act normal for a few minutes, and since I use it with a DAW as the interface all that needs to be shutdown and restarted as well, it's almost unusable for even just practicing with the constant rebooting. I am using a great deal or midi signals to and from controllers, and to and from the Helix to a laptop DAW, including having the laptop give the Helix a master bpm via midi. So not sure if all the midi is triggering it, but it looks like plenty of others are getting lock ups as well. This hotfix came fast, but should I be submitting a support ticket?

I'm new to Helix as of 2.82, so I don't know what to expect from updates and hotfixes, or how fast and complete hotfixes are

About Dual Amp mixer polarity issue.

When I use dual amp set up in the signal chain, there is a polarity issue with ANGEL Meteor, Archetype Lead. 

In the firmware version 2.82, there was no problem using the dual amp chain by any combinations. (I usually combine ANGEL Meteor with Cali IV Lead or Solo Lead OD)

However, upon updating to 2.90 version, I found something really strange from the sound of my existing presets, which have dual amp signal chain with the amps above mentioned.

So I checked everything, and read again everything in the release note, and do every single procedure accroding to the release note.

But nothing has been chanaged. (Now I am 2.91, but the problem is still there)

Of course, If I just change the polarity normal to inverted, they sound fine as usual. However, this kind of unexpected change should be addressed as soon as possible.

Here is the detailed information about the issue

1) Dual amp chain with ANGEL Meteor, or Archetype Lead + any amps ; the ploarity in the mixer tab should be in 'inverted' position

2) Dual amp chain with ANGEL Meteor and Archetype Lead ;  the ploarity in the mixer tab should be in 'normal' position

** In the firmware 2.82, there was no such kind of issues. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, duncann said:

As far as I can tell, it's there.

On device:

Push preset knob

Push rename snapshot encoder

Turn switch LED encoder

HX Edit:

Right click the snapshot field.

Sorry for the possible confusion, "plain" snapshot coloring is possible, but not when you use them in stomp mode via Command Center (should've said that). The option is there but the LED rings always stay red.

With 2.91 on the HX Stomp you can no longer use the "Simple Pitch" or "Whammy Pitch" to "downtune" your guitar, because the signal of the original guitar will be added to the mix, no matter the mix value is set to 100%. I think this is a bug, because I used this feature a lot to play along tracks with Eb-tuning, while leaving my guitar at standard tuning.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Batguano said:

I'm on the Helix floor, I have the same issues I had with 2.90 and posted about now that I am on 2.91, I had sticking momentary midi footswitches on 2.82 but it was otherwise usable.

I would defenitely open a support ticket - IMO this looks as if it is related to your unit (as it already happened with 2.82) rather than the firmware.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:55 PM, 52dmk said:

Just to add to the Tap Tempo issue;

There's also an issue with the bpm display on tap button showing the correct bpm.

In the video below, i'm connected to a helix floor with usb and running HX edit.

I tap in the tempo in HX edit (which is registered correctly and changes the bpm for fx using bpm), however this is not displayed in the tap scribble bpm until i touch the footswitch (touch, not press).

Tap video

Not sure if it helps debugging at all, or if it's a separate issue.

Sorry to say this still happens in 2.91.

Could someone else try to replicate this, please?

Go to Global Settings > Displays > Set Tempo BPM Display to Persistent

Tapped tempo bpm (on floor unit, or in HX edit) does not update the displayed bpm until you touch the tap switch (not press, just touch).

It does update FX using bpm fine now, just not the display.

5 hours ago, Batguano said:

I am getting total freeze/lockup after a few minutes of use with 2.90 and 2.91, not sure what's triggering it. I'll still get sound, but everything is locked up and unresponsive, footswitches, joystick, display etc... Basically requires a shutdown and reboot to act normal for a few minutes, and since I use it with a DAW as the interface all that needs to be shutdown and restarted as well, it's almost unusable for even just practicing with the constant rebooting. I am using a great deal or midi signals to and from controllers, and to and from the Helix to a laptop DAW, including having the laptop give the Helix a master bpm via midi. So not sure if all the midi is triggering it, but it looks like plenty of others are getting lock ups as well. This hotfix came fast, but should I be submitting a support ticket?

I'm new to Helix as of 2.82, so I don't know what to expect from updates and hotfixes, or how fast and complete hotfixes are

Have you tried performing a factory reset and restoring from backup?

2 hours ago, willjrock said:

Not an issue. Posting for awareness.  V 2.90 I couldnt even really tell you what it means, ive simply never seen a message from Helix like this. 

nteresting mssg.PNG

The way IRs are indexed was changed in 2.90. They’re now all indexed by waveform. Meaning, it doesn’t matter what order you have them in the list. The Helix searches for the wav file when associating them with the preset. It looks like this preset is looking for IRS that have been deleted from the unit.

Im on the HX Stomp. Footswitches 4 & 5 no longer does anything, footswitch 3 seems to be working and I can select what I want it to do, but the others are totally not responding since 2.91.
I used to have the ability to select bank preset A-C with the footswitches but that is completely gone now.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

The way IRs are indexed was changed in 2.90. They’re now all indexed by name. Meaning, it doesn’t matter what order you have them in the list. The Helix searches for the name of the file when associating them with the preset. It looks like this preset is looking for IRS that have been deleted from the unit.

I would say your assertion is correct. I replaced one IR with another, and that is the result.

20 minutes ago, Erik_Ekholm said:

Im on the HX Stomp. Footswitches 4 & 5 no longer does anything, footswitch 3 seems to be working and I can select what I want it to do, but the others are totally not responding since 2.91.
I used to have the ability to select bank preset A-C with the footswitches but that is completely gone now.

Some of your Global Settings have changed. The easiest thing to do is go to File>Restore from Backup in HX Edit. That will get everything back to the way you had it.

9 hours ago, al_lighton said:

I updated to 2.91 seemingly without issue. The meters started acting erratically but I didn't see the pattern. I rebooted, they worked fine.

But after a while of playing and editing on a patch, the output meters were  a couple seconds behind synch with the sound. If I don't play for a few seconds, the meters will die to nothing. If I hit a chord, they don't move until a few seconds later. I can't say whether the lag is constant, but it's at least a couple seconds. The compression meters on the LA comp were acting similarly with a big lag.

On further investigation, meters on the output of Path 1 are fworking fine. It's only the meters on the output at the end of the 2nd path that were delayed. The compressor was in the B path.

I deleted most of the blocks in the 2nd path, including the delay and compressor. The output block on 2 still showed delayed, the output on 1 was still fine.

I added a compressor into Path 1. It's meters registered fine.  The meters on the output of path 2 were still lagging real time.

I rebooted the unit.  No output meters would register at all. But the meters on the compressor on path 2 were working correctly without lag.

I changed from snapshot view to signal routing view. The meters suddenly displayed, but were lagging. The meters on the compressor on path 2 were now also lagging.

I rebooted. The meters on path 2 were lagging by only about 1/2 second, as were the compressor meters. But the meters on the output of Path 1 were fine.

Practically the same that happened to me.

1 hour ago, phil_m said:

The way IRs are indexed was changed in 2.90. They’re now all indexed by name.

This isn't true, they're indexed by waveform.

You can check that for yourself (or ask through your Line 6 channels). Load and select an IR, save patch, remove IR, rename original IR, reload it, reload the patch -> the patch will now load the renamed IR.

I think it'd be better if both waveform and name were checked (I have several IRs for testing purposes that I only rename to something more meaningful once I decide that they're keepers).

And as far as exporting and reimporting patches requiring IRs goes, there's still plenty of room for improvement as you still have to keep track of things manually. For instance, the error message that is now showing up could as well tell you which IR is required and ask you to locate it on your computer (offering a search function in addition), just the way software samplers do it. A raw error message isn't of much help.

To clarify, after updating the firmware to the latest version and the editor, 2 of the footswitches on my HX stomp NO LONGER WORK, they simply cannot have anything assigned to them. I have tried many different configs, only one FS work, the one designated FS3, the other two do not do anything anymore. A global settings factory reset did not fix it. I dont have the option to select patches A-C with the FS anymore. Please add this to bugs needed to be fixed.

Updated my LT to 2.91 but now the tuner doesn't work properly. It responds to my guitar but is wildly inaccurate. Has anyone else found this or it it just me?

If I use the tuner  all strings are very sharp to some extent and they seem to get sharper as the strings get higher (Low E ends up as F, A ends up as a B, D as an F etc etc. 

Is this a bug or do I just need to re-update please?

Thanks

HX FX:  Snapshots assigned to switches work as advertised, however for some reason FS4's LED appears on the mode switch.  Another user on the HXFX Users Facebook page is having the same issue.  Is there a global setting causing this somewhere, or a bug?

In the pic, Snapshot 3 located on FS4 is coded blue for reference, this happens on all presets and the only command is for the snapshot on the footswitch.

20200425_162440.jpg

19 hours ago, Batguano said:

Same here on LT.  Was working in HX Edit for about an hour, and somewhere along the line everything locked.   Edit could not save the patch to the unit tand the unit was completely unresponsive despite producing tone and responding to edits from HX Effects the entire time.

On 4/24/2020 at 1:39 PM, aen1ma said:

The rochester comp seems not work under or a lower ratio than 3:1. The gain reduction meter does not show anything either at lower ratios than 3:1

Just FYI, I submitted a ticket on this as it's definitely a bug. Appears to be present in Helix Native too.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2020 at 4:39 PM, aen1ma said:

The rochester comp seems not work under or a lower ratio than 3:1. The gain reduction meter does not show anything either at lower ratios than 3:1

Good catch! I tested it and concur. Might just be the meters and the compressor is still working at low ratios. The meters don't detect any compression at even the most sensitive threshold once you go below 3:1.

21 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

Good catch! I tested it and concur. Might just be the meters and the compressor is still working at low ratios. The meters don't detect any compression at even the most sensitive threshold once you go below 3:1.

I did some testing with really high input levels and low threshold, where even 3:1 was making an obvious difference. As soon as you drop below that, it stops compressing entirely. Definitely not just the meters.

23 hours ago, cehape said:

With 2.91 on the HX Stomp you can no longer use the "Simple Pitch" or "Whammy Pitch" to "downtune" your guitar, because the signal of the original guitar will be added to the mix, no matter the mix value is set to 100%. I think this is a bug, because I used this feature a lot to play along tracks with Eb-tuning, while leaving my guitar at standard tuning.

Can anyone confirm that this is an issue?

On 4/24/2020 at 10:37 PM, al_lighton said:

Hi, I have submitted this to Line 6 support as a bug via support ticket.

I'm seeing the same, except there's more to it:

• I'm using a Helix Floor, firmware v2.91, HX Edit v2.90
  • The lag started after I'd been editing a patch on HX Edit and running USB in/out to Helix via my DAW. Helix had been powered on a couple hours. Not sure exactly when the lag began, or if it built up slowly or happened suddenly.
  • Once I noticed it, I tried closing HX Edit, disconnecting the USB, and changing presets. Lag was still present.
  • On DSP-heavy presets using both paths 1 and 2, the lag shows up on all the meters (input, output, compression). Lag is ~5-7 seconds between input signal and response on the meters. Lag is present on both paths.
  • If I open a blank preset, it starts out laggy, but the lag reduces to almost nothing after about 10 seconds. But as soon as you send the output of Path 1 to Path 2, then the input and output indicators on Path 2 show the same long lag. Weirdly, Path 1 still responds fairly quickly.
  • Audio isn't laggy. Sound doesn't appear to be affected; just the metering.
  • I don't know if the initiation of lag is related to the USB connection, but it definitely persisted after the USB was disconnected. Will have to test more without it connected to USB and see if it still happens.
  • After rebooting the Helix, the lag was gone.
  • Like 1

On 4/25/2020 at 1:10 AM, Batguano said:

I reported strange midi behavior when 2.80 first came out and sent Line 6 a Reaper project file and preset that reproduced the behavior, including crashing Helix by sending a clock signal from Repear. They acknowledged the problem, but apparently it is not fixed as of 2.91.

The problems I'm experiencing only occur when HX Edit is open and connected. So if you're using HX Edit, try without it to see if you still have problems.