Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Helix Native 3.0.1

Seems the block Shuffling Looper isn't fully deactivated in Native, so when you import an hardware preset from Rack/Floor/Whatever, that has a Shuffling Looper in the chain, it will still work in Native, which would be great if totally unlocked, but this way you have no control on it, so it does its glitchy things even if virtually bypassed.

I'd say, since I believe this would work fine in Native, just unlock it. :)

Helix Floor Tuner 
When i choose offset tuning and change the setting to TT Thidell Formula 1

E = -1

A = 0

D = +2

G = +4

B = -1

E = -1

And then do a backup so when i restore the backup the D is always set to = 0 instead of +2

It happens every time i do a backup (I have lots of backups as we have so few IR slots :( )
Luckily i am aware of the bug so i change the D to +2 immediately after the backup is restored.

On 12/28/2020 at 12:52 PM, datacommando said:

As Line 6 posted a notification at the top of this page in a bright orange banner, which reads:

“MacOS 11 Compatibility with Line 6 Software”

it goes on to explain - Currently, Line 6 software products are not compatible with macOS 11 Big Sur.

Major PITA for those who didn’t bother to read it.

Well that disconnect issue happens on Win 10, Win 8, Win 7, and many OSX versions aswell it is a well known problem so it is not a particular OS problem so it doesnt matter if it is not compatible with Big Sur 

15 minutes ago, Guitarmaniac64 said:

Helix Floor Tuner 

E = -1

A = 0

D = +2

G = +4

B = -1

E = -1

And then do a backup so when i restore the backup the D is always set to = 0 instead of +2

It happens every time i do a backup (I have lots of backups as we have so few IR slots :( )
Luckily i am aware of the bug so i change the D to +2 immediately after the backup is restored.

Nice catch and I suppose anyone who alters the tuning on their 'D' string should be aware of this until it gets included in the global settings backup.

I am familiar with "True Temperament", have been wanting to get a guitar with TT frets for years, but thanks for acquainting me with the "TT Thidell Formula 1".  "Bugs" is not really the right topic for me to ask this, wish they still had the direct messaging on the forum, but I am curious. If this blows up into a discussion maybe we can pull it out into a topic of its own. Do you use this tuning for a true temperament fretted guitar or on your standard fretted guitars? If you use it on standard guitars how do you find it in comparison to standard tuning? Is it worth the change? 

On 3/7/2021 at 6:51 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Nice catch and I suppose anyone who alters the tuning on their 'D' string should be aware of this until it gets included in the global settings backup.

I am familiar with "True Temperament", have been wanting to get a guitar with TT frets for years, but thanks for acquainting me with the "TT Thidell Formula 1".  "Bugs" is not really the right topic for me to ask this, wish they still had the direct messaging on the forum, but I am curious. If this blows up into a discussion maybe we can pull it out into a topic of its own. Do you use this tuning for a true temperament fretted guitar or on your standard fretted guitars? If you use it on standard guitars how do you find it in comparison to standard tuning? Is it worth the change? 

Its for my TT guitar its essential to have an offset tuning otherwise it doesnt compensate correctly and it will sound out of tune
You can tune every string to the note A if you dont have a tuner that can be programmed.
I havent tried it on any of my straight fretted guitars hmm well i might have forgotten to switch from offset sometimes when i switch gtr from my TT to a straight fretted guitar 
But those sound so bad anyway compared to a TT fretted so it usually take 1 day or so to get use to it :)

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I could not find anything about this after doing a quick search here, but my LT seems to exhibit this weird behavior when using spillover mode.  I am on 3.01 and I am using the snap/preset footswitch layout.

I can change presets without issues.  But when I am changing scenes, the sound changes but footswitch LED seems to be stuck with the last chosen scene.  The color display screen does not update either.  However, when I move the joystick (just move it randomly, like moving a mouse to wake up a computer screen), the footswitch LED updates and goes to the correct scene.

Hey all,

Brand new Helix LT owner here running into a really frustrating problem.

After opening my LT for the first time, I connected it to my Mac (running OS SIerra), and attempted to update through the Line 6 Updater. About halfway through, it told me that the update failed.

I did read the prompts prior to beginning the installation that said I would receive error messages and helix would reset, but mine never did. Instead, it's stuck on an update screen that reads "Updating UI MCU Firmware, please wait. Do not power off the unit."

I waited about 40 minutes from this point to decide that something was wrong, so I started powercycling, attempting factory resets etc and nothing! It just returns to the same update screen. I'm incredibly frustrated. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

5 hours ago, chugchug said:

Hey all,

After opening my LT for the first time, I connected it to my Mac (running OS SIerra), and attempted to update through the Line 6 Updater. About halfway through, it told me that the update failed.

I did read the prompts prior to beginning the installation that said I would receive error messages and helix would reset, but mine never did. Instead, it's stuck on an update screen that reads "Updating UI MCU Firmware, please wait. Do not power off the unit."

I waited about 40 minutes from this point to decide that something was wrong, so I started powercycling, attempting factory resets etc and nothing! It just returns to the same update screen. I'm incredibly frustrated. Has anyone dealt with this issue?

You first want to start by downloading and installing the 3.0.1 version of HX Edit with all boxes checked. 

You are probably going to have to do a global reset, you can find the various combinations here  https://helixhelp.com/tips-and-guides/universal/reset-options  .  Then you can hopefully get back to kicking off the firmware update again from HX Edit. If these steps don't get you updated you can do the process manually with the Line6 Updater utility.

It is fairly common for people to experience update issues, particularly their first one. The back & forth posts that can be required to diagnose and fix it would quickly overwhelm this "Bugs" topic. If you need more assistance I would open either a new topic or better yet post in one of the thousand that exist on this subject already, for example,  the topic below has a lot of good tips, just a little long in the tooth now as you definitely want to download and install the latest 3.0.1 version of HX Edit.

• Upvote 1

On 3/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, geetar_geek79 said:

I could not find anything about this after doing a quick search here, but my LT seems to exhibit this weird behavior when using spillover mode.  I am on 3.01 and I am using the snap/preset footswitch layout.

I can change presets without issues.  But when I am changing scenes, the sound changes but footswitch LED seems to be stuck with the last chosen scene.  The color display screen does not update either.  However, when I move the joystick (just move it randomly, like moving a mouse to wake up a computer screen), the footswitch LED updates and goes to the correct scene.

I think I may have solved my own issue. Bottom line is I re-flashed using L6 Updater, not Edit. I suggest trying this if your Helix has any quirky behavior, especially if your last update using Edit experienced a Boot Failure.

1. Download the latest firmware

2. Check and ensure the hash matches (Google...)

3. Put the Helix in Update Mode and flash using L6 Updater

4. Factory reset using FS9+FS10 (or applicable knobs for Rack)

On 3/26/2021 at 8:48 PM, geetar_geek79 said:

I think I may have solved my own issue. Bottom line is I re-flashed using L6 Updater, not Edit. I suggest trying this if your Helix has any quirky behavior, especially if your last update using Edit experienced a Boot Failure.

1. Download the latest firmware

2. Check and ensure the hash matches (Google...)

3. Put the Helix in Update Mode and flash using L6 Updater

4. Factory reset using FS9+FS10 (or applicable knobs for Rack)

Well, I thought I was able to resolve but it is still happening. This time I had Edit connected when I ran into the problem and was able to see what the error message was.  It says, "The Helix device failed to recall the snapshot data properly."  After researching the actual error message, it seems like this issue has been around since 2.81:

https://line6.com/support/topic/49417-the-helix-device-failed-to-recall-snapshot-data-properly/

• 2 weeks later...

Think I've got something weird on HX Stomp XL (v3.02 - is this even out yet? Just an XL patch?) and Command Center. I've mapped snapshots 1-3 to the bottom row of footswitches for patch 01A. Works fine until I use mode switch to enter patch mode. When I switch back to stomp mode, the red footswitch light that corresponds to the A preset (FS5) stays on. Seems to function ok, but it's an annoying visual.

After some more testing, it seems like it happens any time the preset footswitch shares the same switch with a CC snapshot. So if patch D (FS3) has a snap on FS3, it will stay red when switching back to stomp mode. But if it has a CC snap on FS2, the light goes away when you switch.

Also, it would be cherry if the current snapshot switch could be lit up white to correspond with the screen. So if my snapshots are 1-2-3 and I was using #2, footswitch 2 would light up, etc...

Have owned Helix lt for a little over a month it has v3.01 installed.. i have 5 of my own presets made 3 using  capo type tunings ( capo1 first fret capo 2 second fret ect) I use my variax 59 with my helix... when i switch from capo 1 preset to capo 2 preset the screen shows that the change was made from 1 to 2 but the sound has not changed from capo 1!!... this happened live so i panicked an pressed the custom button on my variax on and off and was able to change the sound to capo 2 ( the whole time it was showing capo 2 on the helix..... Any ideas

Have a Helix. Updated to most current version as well as HX Edit 3. Running a Variax through it.

Was playing last week and the sound started to rapidly cut in and out. Eventually the audio just went away.

Did a hard reset and loaded a backup. Seemed to work better until I played at a church service. Rehearsal was fine and I left the device on until the service started (Half hour or so from the end of rehearsal). Came to play and no audio. Nothing. Turned it off and back on...still nothing. The tuner was seeing audio from the guitar, just no output.

Solutions?

On 4/8/2021 at 11:35 AM, Djwiens said:

Have a Helix. Updated to most current version as well as HX Edit 3. Running a Variax through it.

Was playing last week and the sound started to rapidly cut in and out. Eventually the audio just went away.

Did a hard reset and loaded a backup. Seemed to work better until I played at a church service. Rehearsal was fine and I left the device on until the service started (Half hour or so from the end of rehearsal). Came to play and no audio. Nothing. Turned it off and back on...still nothing. The tuner was seeing audio from the guitar, just no output.

Solutions?

I've been dealing with the same thing on one specific Snapshot in one specific preset. I have an Essex A30 patch which functions perfectly fine in Snapshots 1 & 2 (Clean and Crunchy Breakup respectively). When I go to Snapshot 3 which has the amp with full gain and master volume, the sound will slowly choke out similarly to if the input signal is dropping steadily. Eventually it'll reach no audio at all but often switching Snapshots seems to correct it momentarily as going back to Snapshot 3 works perfectly fine. Until it does it again. I once left it on this Snapshot for an extended period and the audio was gone entirely from that and other presets. Luckily mine worked again after turning it off and on again.

The latest 3.1.0 release notes stated there is a fix for the Snapshot bug when changing presets related to the midi CC69 message:

• MIDI Snapshot changes on CC69 that are received during preset loads will now be buffered and executed once the preset load is finished. This means that you can send a MIDI Snapshot change immediately after a PC message to effectively load a preset with a different Snapshot than it was saved with.

For me this simply still isn't working. I'll be going back to 2.9.2 when this feature was still useable.

Reply to my Support Ticket:

From one of our software engineers:

âSo this technically does work, but there seems to be some sort of thread priority bug. I am seeing that even when the CC69 is sent after the PC, the actual time it takes to load the preset can be longer than the CC69 being received depending on what is in the preset, which would result in the snapshot not being loaded as expected.

Using the wait parameter in command center set to 150ms or higher would avoid the issue. Or if an external device has a wait feature, using it there to send the CC69 to Helix/HX would work as well.

To Clarify, it is the CC69 that should be set to wait 150ms or so, not the PC message.â

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IOW - there's a new WAIT parameter in Command Center, but if using an external controller, it must be capable of adding it's own WAIT command.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I'm thinking that if you use CommandCenter to assign the Preset/Snapshot load to a FS using the WAIT command, then trigger the FS from the external controller instead of sending the PC and CC, that might work I'll try it later and report back.

EDIT EDIT: Of course that doesn't work. What was I thinking? Need more coffee.

• Thanks 1

Hi 

I just did an update from 3.01 to 3.1 Everything works fine except for the Preset bank selector on the pedal. I cannot not select preset banks (push down on preset knob and rotate to select bank) I can selct it using HX edit but no response from knob on pedal. Have I left out something?? Installed as per Line6 instructions. Can I do a roll back and try reinstalling 3.1 or is this a potential bug?

42 minutes ago, djmizzi said:

Hi 

I just did an update from 3.01 to 3.1 Everything works fine except for the Preset bank selector on the pedal. I cannot not select preset banks (push down on preset knob and rotate to select bank) I can selct it using HX edit but no response from knob on pedal. Have I left out something?? Installed as per Line6 instructions. Can I do a roll back and try reinstalling 3.1 or is this a potential bug?

Are you doing this:

Push knob and release

Joystick left so only the banks are showing

Rotate knob to select bank

If YES Then do a factory reset.

If that doesn't fix it open a support ticket.

It's not a bug, as there's no such problem on mine.

Thanks rd2rk

Much appreciated. I did a factory reset, installed 3.01 again then upgraded to 3.1 and noticed same issue until I pushed harder on the preset button. It turns out that it was probably ok the whole time but it needed a firm push to activate. Maybe just adjustment but its going fine. Thanks for your quick response:-D

Upgraded HX Stomp to 3.10   At least some of the guitar presets have no reverb.   When I create a new patch the reverb works just fine.

Not a major issue as it's pretty easy to create a preset, but I do usually like starting from the factory presets.

I've done a couple of factory resets with no change.

Anyone else seeing this?   

I did submit a support ticket.

9 hours ago, fscroggs said:

Upgraded HX Stomp to 3.10

Hi,

Usually, when weird stuff starts to happen, the factory reset will blow the bugs out.

After you updated did you do a factory reset, and restore from backup, and ensure that you are using HX Edit 3.10?

This is the recommended procedure after updating.

• Upvote 1

Hello, 

I updated to 3.10 and am getting some black boxes obscuring the text showing the preset name.  This box blocks viewing of the screen info in that area and is not preset specific.  some presets will have and others won't.  It does not appear to affect the sound, but I'm mostly playing from the couch into an iPad so who really knows.  I did do the factory rest and backup as the instructions suggested.  I'll see if it persists and may try another reset if it persists.  Image shows missing part of screen in my "B:Fake Bass preset".

IMG_0265.jpeg.b027af3ad3becb925d6374d88f17c18b.jpeg

1 hour ago, gsking1 said:

I updated to 3.10 and am getting some black boxes obscuring the text showing the preset name.  This box blocks viewing of the screen info in that area and is not preset specific.  some presets will have and others won't.  It does not appear to affect the sound, but I'm mostly playing from the couch into an iPad so who really knows.  I did do the factory rest and backup as the instructions suggested.

Do another factory reset. If that doesn't fix it, open a support ticket.

• Upvote 1

On 4/19/2021 at 8:06 PM, rd2rk said:

Reply to my Support Ticket:

From one of our software engineers:

âSo this technically does work, but there seems to be some sort of thread priority bug. I am seeing that even when the CC69 is sent after the PC, the actual time it takes to load the preset can be longer than the CC69 being received depending on what is in the preset, which would result in the snapshot not being loaded as expected.

Using the wait parameter in command center set to 150ms or higher would avoid the issue. Or if an external device has a wait feature, using it there to send the CC69 to Helix/HX would work as well.

To Clarify, it is the CC69 that should be set to wait 150ms or so, not the PC message.â

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IOW - there's a new WAIT parameter in Command Center, but if using an external controller, it must be capable of adding it's own WAIT command.

EDIT: I haven't had a chance to try this yet, but I'm thinking that if you use CommandCenter to assign the Preset/Snapshot load to a FS using the WAIT command, then trigger the FS from the external controller instead of sending the PC and CC, that might work I'll try it later and report back.

EDIT EDIT: Of course that doesn't work. What was I thinking? Need more coffee.

Just to let you know, if you'd not know, until 3.01 fw i was able to change snapshot after PC between 135 ms (using disaster area midi baby 3). with  fw 3.10 using same patches and same configurations and gears i've been forced to set at 155ms.

I've noted as you say that this value depends of the weigth of called patch.

So the added buffer in this release has got worse than before.

Hope it can be useful for you debug activities ;-)

thanks

• Thanks 1

Found a couple of bugs with the 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup' function in HX Edit. Was hoping some other users could confirm them and if so I will create a ticket.

Hardware: Helix  Floor
Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.10; HX Edit 3.10
Bugs: 'Extract Files From Backup'

I noticed two bugs in the 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup' function in HX Edit. At least on my Helix. Not sure if these bugs will show up on every HX device or even on every Helix as my setlists are almost six years old now and are full of presets that have been through almost every firmware upgrade. Anyway here are the bugs:

One bug is that it does not seem to be working consistently if you just try to extract one setlist. When you do that you may just get an empty directory with a file named info.txt. Or, you may get a proper extraction but depending on which setlist you selected you may also get additional setlist extractions that you did not select. The extract seems to work properly however if you leave all the setlists selected for extract.

The second bug is quite minor. For some reason some of the empty presets named (by default) 'New Preset' don't seem to follow the naming convention properly and just end up with the preset number. I suspect this could be related to if those new presets slots were previously used and then had a blank "New Preset" copied back to them, or perhaps the name of the preset before them breaks the naming convention. Just speculating though.  Again, not a showstopper but a bug nonetheless.

Hardware: HX Effects
Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.10; HX Edit 3.10

Bugs: 

In a preset, I assign buttons to snapshots with Command Center. No efx have buttons assigned. 3 of the buttons behave as desired. You click on the button and the snapshot comes to life. One of the buttons, #3 in this case, requires 2 presses to activate the snapshot... the weird part is: after I select the preset it works fine the first time. Every subsequent time after that requires 2 presses to activate the snapshot.

Very strange behavior. I don't know if it's a new problem because I never used snapshots before 3.10.

I know I could use snapshot mode and not even use command center to do this, but I have a couple of momentary efx I want to turn on and off for this patch.

here's a video of it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3d4v93o3gra2qni/HX command center bug sm.mov?dl=0

UPDATE:

I swapped the snapshot to button 1 instead of 3 and now it works perfectly. Does that mean my 3rd button is messed up or can anyone else duplicate this behavior?

On 3/7/2021 at 6:22 PM, Guitarmaniac64 said:

Helix Floor Tuner 

E = -1

A = 0

D = +2

G = +4

B = -1

E = -1

Still present in FW 3.10 plz fix this when you got time 
There is some true tmepered players who use Helix dont forget us.

Today I set up 2 no. foot-switches within command centre to control snapshots; next and previous.

Whenever I cycled through the snapshots, I was presented with the command centre screen and has to manually press home to go back into the preset. This is not workable in a live situation.

I am a new helix floor user on firmware 3.10 so I’m not sure if this is exactly a fault. 

4 hours ago, Rtrain said:

Today I set up 2 no. foot-switches

???

I set my two external switches for Snapshot Prev/Next on my Stomp, no problem.

On my Helix Floor I set up two Stomp Mode Footswitches for Snapshot Prev/Next, no problem.

Perhaps if you stated which device you're using and attached your Preset I can figure out what's wrong.

EDIT: Sorry, you're using a Helix Floor. Just attach your preset and I'll have a look at it.

6 hours ago, Rtrain said:

Today I set up 2 no. foot-switches within command centre to control snapshots; next and previous.

Whenever I cycled through the snapshots, I was presented with the command centre screen and has to manually press home to go back into the preset. This is not workable in a live situation.

I am a new helix floor user on firmware 3.10 so I’m not sure if this is exactly a fault. 

There is a 3.11 version of the firmware out now so that is what I tested on. Same question as rd2rk as to what "2 no. footswitches" is referring to?  Can also confirm though that using global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Up/Down' Switches' = "Snapshots" is working normally, can't replicate your bug.

Update: Just noticed you set up two additional switches for snapshots in Command Center. I will try that next.

6 hours ago, Rtrain said:

One thing to be aware of is if you have the global settings 'Footswitches' --> 'Stomp Select' = "Touch" and you touch a footwitch that is assigned to a CC value that will bring up the Command Center screen as you observed. Stomping on it with a shoe on(or wearing gloves :-) for example does not do that so unless you are playing barefoot it should not impact your live performance.  

If you find this inconvenient during editing you can always set 'Footswitches' --> 'Stomp Select' = "Off";  at least while you are editing your presets but that brings with it the downside of not being able to use the touch capacitance to switch the focus to a footswitch assigned block.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Ostrovsky said:

In the latest firmware, I found a problem. On any overdrive sound (effect or amplifier), there is a parallel sound like ring modulation. Very well heard in headphones on individual notes above 12 fret. 

Before posting something as a BUG, it's best practice to first find out if anyone else has the problem. If it's actually a BUG, then EVERYONE will have the problem.

That is NOT the case here. You should probably do a factory reset, then examine your presets, then open a support ticket.

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I just bought a new Helix Effects and now I think I have a broken unit. I have this problem, when I use 4-cable method with my tube amp:

When I use delay and volume boost at the same time, I get weird lower octave sound that makes using delay (or boost) useless. When I use only delay or only volume boost everything's ok. I have tried every possible scenario: for volume boost I have tried MXR micro amp in HXFX loop 2, after HXFX etc.  and also gain block in HXFX after and before delay for about 6db volume boost. Also tried to boost delay's volume in HXFX, tried eq-pedal block with only volume boost etc. it's all the same weird sound.

Nothing's clipping and in global settings-->in/outs I have everything set to instrument, it works that way best with my amp (Marshall Silver Jubilee 2525H with -10dbv FX-loop). I have tried every possible variation with in/out settings, and they all have the same problem. I have recorded only amp and amp with HXFX 4CM in Pro Tools and with those "all set to instrument" in/out settings those recordings sound almost identical and they have almost the same volume in my daw (only amp has -8,8 db  peak and amp+HXFX -8.6db peak, both recorded at the same -20 to -15db levels with amp and Reactive load+ir to daw). In my 4CM preset I have Loop1 block's all volume levels at 0 (and that way it's almost exactly the same output level than it's with only amp and guitar)

There's this same issue also if I have use my Flashback delay pedal in HXFX loop2 and try to boost volume in HXFX like mentioned before. So now I have to choose whether I use only delay or only volume boost for my guitar solos.

I've been playing guitar semi-pro for more than ten years, owned Kemper before and know something about gain staging, recording etc. so I've tried a lot different ways to try to get this work.

Here's a dropbox-link for the clip I recorded about this issue: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/n0k8zbkvi3caqqu/AABAmAS6r0Bjxryc83fqU3uja?dl=0

In this clip at first the gain block is on and about 6 db boost, then there's boost+delay, then only boost and then boost+delay off.

I have version 3.11. in my HXFX, I've triple checked the cables, gain stages etc. Hope someone could help me with this!

On 3/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, chugchug said:

Hey all,

Same thing happened to me yesterday at soundcheck, Sea World Orlando. Had to run to GC and buy another Helix. This is after running it every day for a week, playing through it, and turning it off at the end of the day, just to make sure there would be no problems on the first gig in 15 months. This is after updating to 3.10 almost 2 weeks ago (yes, I went through 3.01 first) Definitely not my first update, as I've owned my Helix for 5 years now and have relied on it for touring for the entire time.