HonestOpinion

Helix Bug Reports

On 4/23/2021 at 10:00 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Found a couple of bugs with the 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup' function in HX Edit. Was hoping some other users could confirm them and if so I will create a ticket.

Hardware: Helix  Floor
Firmware/Editor: Firmware 3.10; HX Edit 3.10
Bugs: 'Extract Files From Backup'

I noticed two bugs in the 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup' function in HX Edit. At least on my Helix. Not sure if these bugs will show up on every HX device or even on every Helix as my setlists are almost six years old now and are full of presets that have been through almost every firmware upgrade. Anyway here are the bugs:

One bug is that it does not seem to be working consistently if you just try to extract one setlist. When you do that you may just get an empty directory with a file named info.txt. Or, you may get a proper extraction but depending on which setlist you selected you may also get additional setlist extractions that you did not select. The extract seems to work properly however if you leave all the setlists selected for extract.

The second bug is quite minor. For some reason some of the empty presets named (by default) 'New Preset' don't seem to follow the naming convention properly and just end up with the preset number. I suspect this could be related to if those new presets slots were previously used and then had a blank "New Preset" copied back to them, or perhaps the name of the preset before them breaks the naming convention. Just speculating though.  Again, not a showstopper but a bug nonetheless.

On 5/3/2021 at 3:11 PM, HonestOpinion said:

Thanks to AgFX for bringing attention to an additional bug that renders this command unreliable until it is fixed. The preset files the 'Extract Files From Backup' utility  extracts fail when you try to import them back into your device with the following message: "-8103 - Target is incompatible".  Perhaps there is a manual edit that could be done to the extracted preset files in the meantime that could get them in the proper format for import but who wants to have to do that. I opened up a Line6 ticket with all three of the bugs discovered so far.

Update: AgFx posted that he went ahead and figured out the manual edit required for the preset files produced by the extraction and was able to import them so they do provide some measure of usefulness but for most users this utility still needs to be fixed.

Upon a quick inspection all three bugs as described above in the 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup' command in HX Edit appear to have been fixed in the HX Edit 3.11 update.  Bravo Line6! A shout out to datacommando for reminding me to check this out in the new editor version. Thank you!

Btw, a few days ago they responded to the ticket I had opened to let me know they were aware of the issue. I was not expecting a fix to make it into this version of the editor, fantastic! Of course not harboring any false illusions here and my bet is they were working on the fix well before I opened a ticket. 

Interested to see if it is working consistently for everyone else on the new 3.11 editor version.

• Upvote 1

After updating my helix rack to 3.11, there is now an orange vertical line on the screen at all times. I have tried factory resetting, downgrading firmware and re-upgrading and the line is still present. I did put in a support ticket and all they have suggested so far is what I have already tried. Has anyone had this issue (See pic)?

helic rack.jpg

55 minutes ago, webrunner said:

After updating my helix rack to 3.11, there is now an orange vertical line on the screen at all times. I have tried factory resetting, downgrading firmware and re-upgrading and the line is still present. I did put in a support ticket and all they have suggested so far is what I have already tried. Has anyone had this issue (See pic)?

helic rack.jpg

Start by upgrading to 3.11. You SAID that's what started the problem, but it's obvious from your picture that you're still on 2.92.

After upgrading to 3.11, if you still have the line,  re-open the support ticket and tell them about it.

It looks to me like you have a hardware failure.

• Upvote 1

I actually already have updated between my previous and even older versions and back to 3.11 and it is still present. That screenshot was during one of the rollback tests.... 

I appreciate your input!

Yep, hardware failure. Hope you're under warranty. If not, try support anyway. Sometimes they're very generous about fixing this kind of thing. It's a common failure.

BE NICE! :-)

Dear Line 6: I've been noticing lately that the Amp button in the Helix isn't working at all. Today the Home button died as well. Is this a hardware malfunction (I live in the opposite side of the world, therefore I'm screwed if I have to repair this) or could it be just a system bug that showed up? I wasn't having any trouble with the 3.11 firmware while editing my presets. Now I'm forced to use the pedal edit mode or hook it to HX Edit.

Hope you guys are able to help me out.

Umm... the factory reset didn't fully work. Just resucitated the Home switch... the Amp switch is still dead.

Perhaps it's just a bug. I just don't want my Helix to start dying switch by switch until one day shows the black screen of death. Anything else that could work? Or wait until next firmware to be fixed?

Thanks anyway.

1 hour ago, BAmartin said:

Umm... the factory reset didn't fully work. Just resucitated the Home switch... the Amp switch is still dead.

Perhaps it's just a bug. I just don't want my Helix to start dying switch by switch until one day shows the black screen of death. Anything else that could work? Or wait until next firmware to be fixed?

Thanks anyway.

A "bug" affects everybody, and can be reproduced. This is just affecting you.

Try the reset again.

*Try re-flashing the FW.*

If you still have a problem, contact support.

Since it's not really a "bug" if support can't reproduce it, it's not likely that a future update will fix it.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the input.

I'm just going to hold on until next firmware shows up and use the Helix hooked up to HX Edit. I always thought that these switches (specially the joystick) were just "look but don't touch". The problem is I live at the bottom of South America (Buenos Aires, Argentina) and we're in the midst of the pandemic. Most businesses are not working due to mandatory lockdowns and only 40% of the population was vaccined. 

I'll keep holding on (just like Mick Hucknall used to sing)

Once again, thanks for your kind attention.