Jump to content
zivdud

What will Line 6 drop at Winter NAMM 2019?

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

May as well debate the nature of the afterlife, folks...in fact, it would be the exact same conversation:  Lots of blind guessing, highly individualized wish lists, and references to cryptic writings of questionable origin.... "The Gospel According to Digital Igloo"...;)

Yay, yet another religion to go along with all the others that plague this world.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Rocco_Crocco said:

50576468_10155772979946423_4091700748876

 

Ah "Missed Connections" eh? - like the ability to connect USB to the Send and Return blocks perhaps - or even Send to 1/4in and XLR ;) Here's hoping

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ricksteruk said:

 

Ah "Missed Connections" eh? - like the ability to connect USB to the Send and Return blocks perhaps - or even Send to 1/4in and XLR ;) Here's hoping

Or the ability to connect Helix to my Windows 10 machine?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Or the ability to connect Helix to my Windows 10 machine?

 

Ummm.... you can't? Isn't that what HX Edit does?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, it’s what HX Edit is supposed to do. No issues on my Mac, but my Windows 10 machine simply will not see it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

Well, it’s what HX Edit is supposed to do. No issues on my Mac, but my Windows 10 machine simply will not see it.

 

I’ve had no issues with HX Edit and Windows 10... I’ve pretty much been using Windows 10 ever since I first got my Helix.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dunno, I’ve done all the tinkering I could manage with drivers and configurations, it just keeps telling me there is no device connected. All is well with it on my Mac though, so I’m just sticking to that for now. Sorry, wasn’t trying to derail the thread, just making a quip figuring others could probably relate. Doesn’t work so well with a target audience of 1, haha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay so as I watch this hard to hear livestream, so far that leak actually looks accurate.

 

Several new effects. King of tone.

 

I'm happy. New bass amp for bass players ... good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Again, the video is REALLY jumpy, but it SEEMS like they're bringing in Dream Rig compatibility.

 

Still have to buy a Helix, but that would be reaching out to that crowd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The link from Line6Tony describing the 2.80 update.

 

DI from Line6 lays out some details for the 2.80 release at NAMM in this video. Starts at a little over 26min into the video.

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Genuine question from a newbie and I'm not looking to generate any bad feeling or negativity, and am certainly not trolling in any way.

 

I have a birthday coming up, and luckily I'm getting to pull the trigger on Helix floor. I'm super excited as you can all understand. Yesterday there was a bit of excitement with the leak and then the confirmation of what will be new in 2.8; everyone including myself was buzzed to see what new goodies would be coming. Super!!

 

Here's the issue though (and leads to my genuine question): All the real info in this forum was copied and pasted from TGP Helix forum. DI was on over there, managing expectations and promising to update them ASAP. On this forum, we got squat, except for the copied info from TGP.

 

As a future new user, I wanted to come to the info "from the horses mouth". Is that here (which I had assumed) or is that over at TGP??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, GingerLefty said:

Genuine question from a newbie and I'm not looking to generate any bad feeling or negativity, and am certainly not trolling in any way.

 

I have a birthday coming up, and luckily I'm getting to pull the trigger on Helix floor. I'm super excited as you can all understand. Yesterday there was a bit of excitement with the leak and then the confirmation of what will be new in 2.8; everyone including myself was buzzed to see what new goodies would be coming. Super!!

 

Here's the issue though (and leads to my genuine question): All the real info in this forum was copied and pasted from TGP Helix forum. DI was on over there, managing expectations and promising to update them ASAP. On this forum, we got squat, except for the copied info from TGP.

 

As a future new user, I wanted to come to the info "from the horses mouth". Is that here (which I had assumed) or is that over at TGP??

Tgp only. Forget about here, this is a ghost city compared to the tgp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arislaf said:

Tgp only. Forget about here, this is a ghost city compared to the tgp.

Thanks for the response. Why is this forum not thriving in your opinion?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GingerLefty said:

Thanks for the response. Why is this forum not thriving in your opinion?

I am here about 10 years, and as far as i recall, official line 6 persons get more involved there than here. And still yet not figured out why. Lately, line 6 made a survey, and one of the questions was how to improve communication or something like this. I answered, simply speak with us as you do in tgp forum...

  • Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GingerLefty said:

Thanks for the response. Why is this forum not thriving in your opinion?

 

To some degree I understand why.  There's simply way more traffic on TGP because it's been around forever and has a larger user base.  They used to come on here but to be quite honest most of what gets posted here are fairly rudimentary discussions on how to do things with the Helix.  There's much more depth to the discussions over on TGP.  I think both have their place but one can get pretty tired answering the same question over and over here on this forum from folks can't be bothered to read the manual or view the training videos.

Another alternative would be the Helix Facebook User group which has a very wide group of users that have considerable influence in the product group at Line 6.
Facebook Helix User Group

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I think it's an oversight by them, and it's unfortunate.

 

I would prefer to see more of them weigh in. However, there are some who are perfectly active. I think psarkissian does great on the Variax forum.

 

Still, while I read the TGP forum from time to time, I still prefer the vibe here. Maybe it's because I live in a small town, but I feel like I get help when needed here, and there are a ton of experienced posters I learn a lot from.

 

Oh, and happy birthday. That's awesome! Most birthdays I get socks, but there was one year I got my JTV Variax and Pod HD500x. That was awesome.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/25/2019 at 9:27 AM, BAmartin said:

 

Hahaha... More useless 50s memorabilia boutique junk??? GIVE ME A BREAK!!! This is just the resentful old wankers clean amp wishlist hoax... 

 

 

I for one am stoked about the Tweed Deluxe, and I only satisfy two out of three of the descriptors in “resentful old wankers”. But I’m not ready to admit which two...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2019 at 8:38 AM, gunpointmetal said:

All indications are that there won't be a new platform for some time. With all the newer HX stuff (FX, Stomp, PowerCab) I'm guessing even if they do a "Helix 2" anytime soon, it will just be a more powerful version of the same platform and will likely cost more than the current lineup. And honestly, I don't see that happening, but you're welcome to wait until after NAMM to make your purchase decisions. Maybe a Mooer G300 since they're saving tariff dollars by literally stealing DSP code, lol.

 

An improved version with the same DSP but built in wireless input and a few other tweaks would make tons of sense. Wouldn't take a mountain of engineering to add a few features and they would be able to squeeze a bit more life from the platform.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Verne-Bunsen said:

I for one am stoked about the Tweed Deluxe, and I only satisfy two out of three of the descriptors in “resentful old wankers”. But I’m not ready to admit which two...

 

Come on...  6 new clean amps... Ben and Sam are definitely Fender guys... I was pretty sure that the EVH 5150 III was coming in 2.8

I was clearly mistaken... the Revv Generator Gain 2 channel and the bass distos and preamps are pretty welcome though... Maybe they did that just to tame the headbangers out there once they started reading the release note... haha.

There is an evident bias towards clean amps rather than High Gain monsters... Way too many clean amps modeled in all their channels... When we metalheads are only interested in the high gain channels... Not interested in the clean channel of a Randall amp... nor Diezel´s clean channels... 

Maybe someday we´ll get the "High Gain Update" with 8 heavy metal monsters like the Diezels, the Randalls and the EVH there... I´m pretty happy a lot of requested features are being adressed and solved leaving more manpower to optimize DSP and model more amps... The Helix 3.0 is going to be major... Definitely... Hope they pack it up with a LOT of new amps...

But I´m getting pretty dissapointed with each delivery...

Just my thoughts and forgive my bad language... I was just pissed off at seeing 6 more clean amps that I´ll never use being included in the firmware. I would have prefered the Legendary Gain ones from the fake polish update...

Gonna go play "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger...hahaha. Just grab my acoustic guitar... that´s all I need.

 

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like a pretty significant update to me, especially when it was described as not too much in it. Looks pretty great to me!

 

And with the internal updates, that opens the door to meters of some type or another which would be very welcome. The two new EQs will be great also, and the ability to exclude blocks on a block-by-block basis from being turned on or off by snapshots is something I've privately wished for. Nice!

 

I don't really know anything about the new stomps or the pitch/filter thing. Will be interesting to try them out.

 

The update looks good to me, I'll be happy to get it. Normalizing presets across devices and Native will be a big plus for sharing stuff. And removing artificial block limitations from Native will be interesting as well. You'll have the ability to make a super intensive preset in Native that none of the Helix hardware have enough DSP to run (assuming your computer can handle it).

 

And I'm pretty curious how the core internal updates will open up new things that were not possible with the old software architecture. We'll have to wait to find that out as the year unfolds.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, BAmartin said:

 

Come on...  6 new clean amps... Ben and Sam are definitely Fender guys... I was pretty sure that the EVH 5150 III was coming in 2.8

I was clearly mistaken... the Revv Generator Gain 2 channel and the bass distos and preamps are pretty welcome though... Maybe they did that just to tame the headbangers out there once they started reading the release note... haha.

There is an evident bias towards clean amps rather than High Gain monsters... Way too many clean amps modeled in all their channels... When we metalheads are only interested in the high gain channels... Not interested in the clean channel of a Randall amp... nor Diezel´s clean channels... 

Maybe someday we´ll get the "High Gain Update" with 8 heavy metal monsters like the Diezels, the Randalls and the EVH there... I´m pretty happy a lot of requested features are being adressed and solved leaving more manpower to optimize DSP and model more amps... The Helix 3.0 is going to be major... Definitely... Hope they pack it up with a LOT of new amps...

But I´m getting pretty dissapointed with each delivery...

Just my thoughts and forgive my bad language... I was just pissed off at seeing 6 more clean amps that I´ll never use being included in the firmware. I would have prefered the Legendary Gain ones from the fake polish update...

Gonna go play "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger...hahaha. Just grab my acoustic guitar... that´s all I need.

 

 

You are self aware enough to know that your genre of choice has always been niche though, aren't you?

 

Even as niche you're literally getting some new options.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yay! They added a swap for up and down. Thanks Helix team.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think its a pretty cool update. I like that a Revv is being added (something from a brand not currently in the Helix).  I like the new EQ options, and the Zen drive.  I even like the new clean, and crunch amps. Glad we got a new bass amp. 

 

I am really stoked about being able to control my DAW's transport control's from the Helix Rack floor controller.  This way I can control my DAW more easily from the mic stand in my studio. That is an unexpected treat for us studio guys. I am grateful for the update, and look forward to it this Spring.

 

All that said, I will state that I hope 3.0 will bring us some more high gain focus, more HX reverb flavors, and/or some metering/clip indications. (among some other cool stuff) I am pretty hopeful that throughout the year a good bit of that will be checked off as 2019 is supposed to be a fantastic year for Helix. 

 

Even as a metal guy, I am looking forward to the update cause contrary to the above, my interests are more than just high gain. Though the Helix could use more treatment in that department. Metal isn't all that niche', and high gain even less so. 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I consider metal pretty niche compared to the entirety of the music industry. Even during the heyday of music sales it was always a smaller genre. Not irrelevant or something to be ignored, but it doesn't appeal to as large an audience.

 

Fact is traditional amps are more common and universally used, from pop, to rock, country, rap ...

 

Saying that I don't mean I'm opposed to a metal update, just saying it's not at all surprising there are fewer of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well in the context of a guitar amp/fx modeler, and in the context of guitarists, I don't consider metal all that niche as a whole, and like I said high gain even less so. I'm also just saying that there are plenty of "traditional" amps to hold over for a while, and would prefer the next update to focus a little bit more on the high gain territory.  Like I said above, I am far from opposed of this update. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BAmartin said:

 

Come on...  6 new clean amps... Ben and Sam are definitely Fender guys... I was pretty sure that the EVH 5150 III was coming in 2.8

I was clearly mistaken... the Revv Generator Gain 2 channel and the bass distos and preamps are pretty welcome though... Maybe they did that just to tame the headbangers out there once they started reading the release note... haha.

There is an evident bias towards clean amps rather than High Gain monsters... Way too many clean amps modeled in all their channels... When we metalheads are only interested in the high gain channels... Not interested in the clean channel of a Randall amp... nor Diezel´s clean channels... 

Maybe someday we´ll get the "High Gain Update" with 8 heavy metal monsters like the Diezels, the Randalls and the EVH there... I´m pretty happy a lot of requested features are being adressed and solved leaving more manpower to optimize DSP and model more amps... The Helix 3.0 is going to be major... Definitely... Hope they pack it up with a LOT of new amps...

But I´m getting pretty dissapointed with each delivery...

Just my thoughts and forgive my bad language... I was just pissed off at seeing 6 more clean amps that I´ll never use being included in the firmware. I would have prefered the Legendary Gain ones from the fake polish update...

Gonna go play "Against the Wind" by Bob Seger...hahaha. Just grab my acoustic guitar... that´s all I need.

 

Fully disagree. Have you heard the uberschall clean? Or the eng fireball clean? I am well interested in these cleans. And i love that lately they model all channels. Btw if you see the analogy it is well balanced between clean mid gain and distorted up to now.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

Well in the context of a guitar amp/fx modeler, and in the context of guitarists, I don't consider metal all that niche as a whole, and like I said high gain even less so. I'm also just saying that there are plenty of "traditional" amps to hold over for a while, and would prefer the next update to focus a little bit more on the high gain territory.  Like I said above, I am far from opposed of this update. 

 

Well, and that's a reasonable point. Especially lately metal seems to have risen a bit in popularity among guitar players.

 

Either way though, I just like variety, and I got overwhelmed with amps a while ago. This is just gravy. I hope you get your metal amp collection as desired. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Lachdanan0121 said:

All that said, I will state that I hope 3.0 will bring us some more high gain focus, more HX reverb flavors, and/or some metering/clip indications. (among some other cool stuff) I am pretty hopeful that throughout the year a good bit of that will be checked off as 2019 is supposed to be a fantastic year for Helix.

 

Every metalhead and hardcore shredder hopes for that... It´s great reading that I´m not the only one thinking that Helix is lacking in the high gain department. The Revv is a great addition and it has a ton of switches to mess around with in order to shape the tone... but there are still options that were available in the Pod X3 that got lost in the way as well as the EVH... I´d love getting back those... Don´t forget the feedbacker for that Steve Vai infinite sustain, the Freqout seems to do the job really good... And more reverbs are always great!!!! They are one of the keys in getting the huge sound from the 80s and 90s...

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BAmartin said:

 

Every metalhead and hardcore shredder hopes for that... It´s great reading that I´m not the only one thinking that Helix is lacking in the high gain department. The Revv is a great addition and it has a ton of switches to mess around with in order to shape the tone... but there are still options that were available in the Pod X3 that got lost in the way as well as the EVH... I´d love getting back those... Don´t forget the feedbacker for that Steve Vai infinite sustain, the Freqout seems to do the job really good... And more reverbs are always great!!!! They are one of the keys in getting the huge sound from the 80s and 90s...

 

 

 

If I were to quantify any disappointments I have about the 2.8 . . . and that's a harsh word because I was actually nothing but excited . . . but still, if someone were to talk about the things I hope for with the Helix the concept of unusual effects is where I fall.

 

I have so many solid amps in the HX now (highest gain I go for is Foo Fighters level, and we have plenty of stuff for that including various Vox models which is exactly what Grohl uses). I like the new amps coming, but I could easily give up any more standard amp models in order for every future amp to be a metalhead amp so that group is happy and I'd be fine.  Honestly, I also feel we have plenty of solid distortions, so I really don't NEED more of those and yet we're getting two more for guitar  (with that said, I was very excited about the Tone King - holy hell those suckers have a 3 year waiting list and cost $300 or more). 

 

What would I really like more of?  I feel like there is a long way to go with reverbs, and there's more room for unusual effects like freeze and polyphonic drop tune pedals. That's the avenue I want to see more of.  

 

At the end of the day though, when I bought he Stomp I didn't even realize it would get free updates with more stuff. I bought it for what it was, so I just see every update as a kind of free gift from the guitar Gods. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Well, and that's a reasonable point. Especially lately metal seems to have risen a bit in popularity among guitar players.

 

Either way though, I just like variety, and I got overwhelmed with amps a while ago. This is just gravy. I hope you get your metal amp collection as desired. 

I feel you on the variety. I am a metal head, but I make all kinds of music. I usually find something great in every update so far with the Helix.  Even in the last one that added models.  I am having a lot of fun (and great results) with the Texas ch1 amp, and the addition of the treble booster pedal.  Great stuff!

 

On the topic of updates in general for the Helix platform. It seems each year there is something that really drives home more reason why I am happy I chose it as my platform. 

1st realization was when they launched HX Native. That helps tremendously in a studio environment.  Snapshots was another one, but I don't use them a whole lot as a studio musician, but I love the option.  Another now is being able to control my DAW transport with my feet at the mic stand away from my controls. (Sure I could do this with a tablet, and app, but I like the idea using my Helix control to do it)  Not to mention all the great models we are getting.  It is of my personal opinion that the models we have gotten in firmware updates have sounded better than a lot of what the Helix shipped with.  (I mean new models, not that they changed the sound of ones already there,  like the Archtype, Litigator, Cartographer, and Placater)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

You are self aware enough to know that your genre of choice has always been niche though, aren't you?

 

There is nothing "niche" about the high gain world. It is a huge market!  (EDIT TO ADD: Sorry to pile on, I see someone already beat me to that a few posts earlier)

 

17 hours ago, BAmartin said:

Come on...  6 new clean amps... Ben and Sam are definitely Fender guys...

 

In these forums I am on the record stating that although I have no use for any high gain amps (JCM 800 is more than enough gain for me) I fully support you and others that want more options. If there are iconic high gain amps missing from the Helix, then you deserve to have them. 

 

That said... if you think the Tweed Deluxe is a "clean amp"... then you obviously have a different take on what level of dirt quantifies as dirt. Very few buy a tweed deluxe for it's clean sound (volume lower than 3).... they push it into varying degrees of glorious overdrive.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, codamedia said:

...if you think the Tweed Deluxe is a "clean amp"... then you obviously have a different take on what level of dirt quantifies as dirt. 

 

Lol... indeed.  Which is what makes all of these discussions such a fabulous waste of time.  Abstract, out of context debates over the definition "clean", "dirt", and "crunch"... it's all genre-dependent. One man's over saturated, compressed to oblivion "can of bees", is another's "who the hell snuck in here turned my gain all the way down?". 

 

To the country act sideman who would be genuinely surprised to learn that there are electric guitars other than Telecasters in existence, "dirt" means one thing. If you're Alice Cooper's most recent discovery, and you have difficulty distinguishing a Tele from a canoe paddle, it'll mean something else. Everybody's right, or wrong, or neither... lol.  Who cares? Do your thing, gents...;)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, codamedia said:

I have no use for any high gain amps (JCM 800 is more than enough gain for me)

[...]

That said... if you think the Tweed Deluxe is a "clean amp"... then you obviously have a different take on what level of dirt quantifies as dirt

 

Haha. I would use a JCM 800 as a clean amp. And for dirt? Well...

metalzone.JPG.86a4e35f5a3abb38464cc8afc34f5a90.JPG

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×