Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD v2.6 FIRMWARE

krystianos

if that date is true... and i have no reason to believe that it is or isn't.... but if we accept that....

it's only saying that the update would be 2 weeks later than previously promised....

a small amount of time to wait... especially as that means they are finding and fixing issues, adding more features, or giving it a good test before releasing.

all very worthwhile.

if that date is true... and i have no reason to believe that it is or isn't.... but if we accept that....

it's only saying that the update would be 2 weeks later than previously promised....

a small amount of time to wait... especially as that means they are finding and fixing issues, adding more features, or giving it a good test before releasing.

all very worthwhile.

Well you have to consider the source. This is the same guy, who in another thread repeatedly asserts that by waiting another month to buy your 500X, it will magically pop out of the box with the new firmware, plus all the new model packs, all for free. He's confused...I wouldn't put much stock in anything he has to say about release dates. He could be getting his info from tea leaves or a Ouija board for all we know.

• Upvote 1

We also have to consider the source. This is the same guy, who in another thread repeatedly asserts that by waiting another month to buy your 500X, it will magically pop out of the box with the new firmware, plus all the new model packs, all for free. He's confused...

I´m not confused.

And information about release date is an answer to one my support ticket. I just put it here for share with all members.

Thanks

• Upvote 1

Reading his posts again, I think he is saying that the GLOBAL EQ requires DSP to run (just like any other fx) but they needed to guarantee that there will always be sufficient spare DSP for it to run with existing patches that users have already made specifically those that are already close the MAX DSP usage - otherwise those users are going to be very angry when they discover they have to change their existing patches to make use of the new GLOBAL EQ. So to prepare for this eventuality they looked at ways of making the existing code for amps and fx more efficient so they use slightly less DSP,  and they were successful in optimising existing code meaning that anyone with a patch that is currently very close to max DSP usage will still be able to use that existing patch at the new firmware level with the GLOBAL EQ switched on and not hit the DSP limit.

Exactly. And depending on what models you're using, you might see a tiny bit of extra DSP headroom on top of getting Global EQ. With other models, you won't see a difference at all.

sure hope the eq will be switchable. and if it is, there must be extra dsp free.

5band eq with lo and hi cut might take a little over 4% hopefully

The Global EQ is switchable (press ENTER while on the Setup > Global EQ screen), but it's.... global.... so you don't get any extra DSP if it's disabled.

And information about release date is an answer to one my support ticket. I just put it here for share with all members.

The support guys gave you our "official" release date, which is correct. Unofficially, we're still on track to release 2.6 and the model packs for HD500X and HD Pro X by the end of March, with support for HD500, HD Pro, and HD (Bean) shortly thereafter.

Basically, nothing's changed since we announced release dates at NAMM.

I don't understand why everyone is so concerned with an exact date. If everyone jumps on at the same time, y'all are gonna lollipop because it took so long to download because of the increased traffic.

And quite frankly, if I even update it, its going to happen weeks later. Because it needs to wait until I hook it up to a PC with monkey. I have EDIT on computers for patch work, but I don't need Monkey on every pc. 

What is every one's rush to have an EQ that is only good when you are in a different environment? 

And as far as buying stuff... 

Again, the scenario will not play out like this: 

It gets released today, I bought it today, I set up my new patches today, I went out and gigged with it today. Someone complimented me on my new 5150 amp sound today. By the end of the show, 500 people showed up because they heard I have an awesome new sound, today. 

Or am I just out in left field with what I think is common sense stuff. 

• Upvote 3

The support guys gave you our "official" release date, which is correct. Unofficially, we're still on track to release 2.6 and the model packs for HD500X and HD Pro X by the end of March, with support for HD500, HD Pro, and HD (Bean) shortly thereafter.

Basically, nothing's changed since we announced release dates at NAMM.

Define "shortly thereafter" please.

To a mountain, an epoch is a short time after all...lol

With any luck, no more than a week or two. Surprises often happen, tho', and we won't release anything before we're confident it's solid.

That's the ticket laddy...I'd rather wait an extra week and not be pissed off that it bricked my POD lol...

• Upvote 1

The new firmware 2.6 will be available in mid April. It is not out yet. The firmware will be free, but if you want more aviable amps, that will cost money. The free firmware update will fix some security bugs, and add a global EQ setting.

... security bugs, for the FW for a non-network-connected device?

Did somebody hear too many people talking about jailbreaking the POD? ;)

• Upvote 1

They are surely adding security to protect the model packs from unauthorized use ...

... security bugs, for the FW for a non-network-connected device?

Did somebody hear too many people talking about jailbreaking the POD? ;)

I'll admit I am keen for this  firmware upgrade and that it flawless is important so a wait will be worth it. 

I keep checking LOL

After the 15th is called the latter half of the month. LOL

The end of the month is the last week or last several days of it. LOL

We are all forgiven for our impatience as we cannot wait.

But wait you must.

• Upvote 1

We've waited how many years for a Global EQ in the PODHD and we're complaining about a few more weeks ?  I want patience and I want it now !!!  hehe.

About 10 years for me....I have been missing the global EQ since the AX2...

I'm curious about something. Having read that the POD HD has an maximizer/exciter that can't be modified parameter-wise, did Line6

code monkeys remove this feature to fit the Global EQ in, or does the maximizer still exist when the Global EQ is disabled ? I aim to

do some spectrum analysis on this when I get around to the update when its released, but I wouldn't mind knowing now if possible ?

Thanks for the reply. I will say that it sucks that Line6 is going to put the 500x first. I guess they have more users than the 500 owners? I hope that the update isn't a month or two past the 500x update.

Unless you are a 500x owner...... :-/

I'm just happy they are still creating drivers and upgrading the systems, including the Desktop and 500.  If that's not a plus, I don't know what is....

I'm curious about something. Having read that the POD HD has an maximizer/exciter that can't be modified parameter-wise, did Line6

code monkeys remove this feature to fit the Global EQ in, or does the maximizer still exist when the Global EQ is disabled ? I aim to

do some spectrum analysis on this when I get around to the update when its released, but I wouldn't mind knowing now if possible ?

So where did you read that exactly?

I'm curious about something. Having read that the POD HD has an maximizer/exciter that can't be modified parameter-wise,

I believe you are referring to the cab resonance feature that some have likened to a sonic maximizer/exciter type effect.  There is no other effect of that type in the POD and I doubt they will be disabling that for the global EQ...

I believe you are referring to the cab resonance feature that some have likened to a sonic maximizer/exciter type effect.  There is no other effect of that type in the POD and I doubt they will be disabling that for the global EQ...

If NucleusX is referring to the RESONANCE dep parameter then it is worth noting that it can be effectively disabled by moving RESONANCE value to zero.

There's no maximizer/exciter that I'm aware of, unless you're talking about the various speaker mode filters.

Nothing was omitted to make room for Global EQ; we squeezed it in by further optimizing the DSP code. There should be zero audible difference.

There's no maximizer/exciter that I'm aware of, unless you're talking about the various speaker mode filters.

Nothing was omitted to make room for Global EQ; we squeezed it in by further optimizing the DSP code. There should be zero audible difference.

Now optimizing DSP code isn't like when you rebuild a carburator and have spare parts, right?

Not even close.  It's more like becoming quicker in how you take the carb apart and put it back together using fewer steps.

Ok, I walked into that lol

Actually, I code for a living myself and it was sort of an inside joke lol...the bit bucket and all that.

Not even close.  It's more like becoming quicker in how you take the carb apart and put it back together using fewer steps.

You guys are giving my baby food jar nightmares of synching my old KZ1000 carbs...and adjusting the valves with shims...talk about analog.... :lol:

Carbs? :)  Haven't worked on one of them in what seems like a lifetime!

Ah the memories lol. That and setting timing plus points dwell and gap. I remember having to get out at times and twist the old distributor just to get home lol.

It was quite some time ago, and I think rads explains this best, but I think someone was referring to cab parameters in that regard, where

there was more bass and treble boost present than it should have and likened it to a maximizer effect, rather than the flat response you

would expect from these parameters being set to zero. I've tried searching to no avail tho. Maybe someone else remembers this conversation ?

In any case, wouldn't it be nice if we did in-fact have an exciter to play with. Nice to see new amps for sure, but FX seem to get neglected. 

I apologize for the confusion, thanks D.I. for your clarification. 

nope, I believe credit goes to Hurghanico for this discovery.  Unfortunately I think that thread is gone... but yes, that is what he described, an exciter type effect applied to the cab model as resonance with the default being ON.  If you want the dry cab turn the RES LEVEL to zero.  THUMP and DECAY are also proportional to RES LEVEL.

• Upvote 1