Jump to content
Digital_Igloo

HX Stomp FAQ

Recommended Posts

HX STOMP FAQ
 
That thing looks small. Is it small?
Considering the amount of hardware inside, HX Stomp is practically microscopic—its footprint is smaller than a Line 6 M5 pedal, and pretty much identical to that of a three-switch Strymon. We spent a stupid amount of time and effort cramming massive power into a tiny chassis. It’ll even fit into the small top pocket on Helix Backpack.
 
Helix Backpack was out in 2015. That pocket was designed for HX Stomp all along?
Maaaayyybe?
 
Okay, we agree that it’s small, but what IS it?
At the risk of hyperbole, HX Stomp may be the most powerful and flexible compact stompbox ever made. It can replace multiple pedals on your board (so you have room for more!). It can act as the ultimate travel or backup guitar/bass rig—except it may provide enough simultaneous amps and effects to be your main guitar/bass rig. It can be used to expand the DSP/model set of existing pro modelers; throw it in your Kemper, Fractal, or Atomic’s effects loop to add all Helix amps and effects. It’s also a world-class portable guitar recording interface with digitally-controlled analog impedance circuits, zero-latency monitoring, multichannel re-amping, and headphone amp. (One might suggest it’s the perfect front end for the Helix Native plug-in.) HX Stomp is whatever you want it to be, wherever you want it to be.
 
How does it sound compared to Helix?
Aside from the maximum number of simultaneous effects and amps—six blocks total—HX Stomp sounds identical to Helix. They have the same effects, amps, cabs, IR loading, 24-bit/192kHz A/D/A converters, analog impedance circuits, and patented guitar ins with 123dB of dynamic range.
 
HX Effects is the same price. How is HX Stomp different?
HX Effects is designed to be the centerpiece of your pedalboard, giving you full control over individual Line 6 effects, your MIDI-equipped pedals, and your amp switching. HX Stomp is a programmable amps+cabs/IRs+effects stompbox that seamlessly integrates into a wide variety of environments and applications.
 
TL;DR: HX Effects is for amp and pedalboard guys, HX Stomp is for modeling guys… but amp and pedalboard guys might love it too!
 
What ins and outs does it have?
  • Left/Mono and Right 1/4” Inputs—switchable between instrument and line for use with passive guitars/basses, active guitars/basses, keyboards, synths, drum machines, electric nose flutes, and more
  • Left/Mono and Right 1/4” Outputs—balanced/unbalanced for feeding amps, FRFR speakers, or the front-of-house mixer
  • Stereo 1/4” TRS Send—with a Y cable, two separate mono effects loops (or one stereo effects loop) can be accommodated
  • Left/Mono and Right 1/4” Returns—globally switchable to act as an always-on Aux In for monitoring mixers or MP3 players
  • 1/4” stereo headphone out
  • 1/4” EXP 1/2, FS4/5 Input—can accommodate two expression pedals, two additional footswitches, one of each, or the Mission Helix pedal with toe switch (https://shop.line6.com/promotions/pedals/mission-expression-pedal-for-line-6-products.html)
  • MIDI In and Out/Thru
  • USB—for recording to/jamming along with Macs, PCs, iPads, and iPhones. (iPads and iPhones require the Apple Camera Connection Kit.) HX Stomp can feed both stereo paths into your computer—along with dry versions for reamping—simultaneously
  • DC In
Wait. How did you fit all that into something the size of two Tube Screamers? 
Black sparkle magic.
 
I hate editing little pedals with screens. How easy is HX Stomp to use? 
Very. WATCH THESE VIDEOS (around 10 minutes total) and you’ll be a master: line6.com/meet-hx-stomp
The full manual should be up shortly too: line6.com/support/manuals/hxstomp
 
How’s the build quality? Won’t you mess with the knobs when you stomp on it?
HX Stomp is built into a sturdy die-cast aluminum alloy case with the same footswitches and metal knobs from Helix. If you’re still worried, note that while in Play view, the four knobs closest to the switches are disabled.
 
How can I do anything with only three switches?
You can do a lot with three switches, but if you really need more, two additional external switches can be connected. HX Stomp also responds to a wide variety of MIDI commands, and any block or parameter can learn (or be manually assigned to) an incoming CC message. Plus, from the main Play view, you can press <PAGE/PAGE> or an external footswitch to select one of four footswitch modes on the fly.
 
Does HX Stomp have true analog bypass?
Yes. You may choose either analog bypass or DSP bypass with trails. To bypass everything press the upper and lower knobs together (or assign a footswitch to All Bypass).
 
Is there a Looper?
HX Stomp includes a mono or stereo 1 Switch Looper that can be placed anywhere in the signal flow.
 
Can it do 4-Cable Method?
Yes, and 7-Cable Method for stereo rigs. After hooking everything up, just add an FX Loop block to your tone; any blocks before the FX Loop will appear before your real amp’s preamp and any blocks after the FX Loop will appear between your real amp’s preamp and power amp sections. There are even 4-Cable Method presets to get you started. (Note the “4CM” presets won’t pass audio unless everything’s hooked up correctly!)
 
Is there an editor?
Yes. It uses the same HX Edit application as Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, and HX Effects, except with 126 presets and a simplified signal flow. Just update both HX Stomp’s firmware and HX Edit to 2.70. Both should be available very soon.
 
Can HX Stomp load Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, or HX Effects presets?
As long as the preset has six or fewer blocks, you can use HX Edit 2.70 (available soon) to access both devices at once and copy and paste blocks back and forth. Rebuilding a Helix preset in HX Stomp shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds.
 
Can HX Stomp presets be loaded into the Helix Native plug-in?
Not currently, but individual blocks can be copied and pasted between HX Edit 2.70 and Helix Native 1.70. Again, rebuilding an HX Stomp preset in Helix Native shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds.
 
I know a bunch of us wanted something smaller than Helix LT, but did you have to make it THAT small?
< disapproving side-eye >
 
From the beginning, we understood that for HX Stomp to navigate the widest ocean of adopters (pedalboard guitarists, traveling guitarists, bassists, buskers, keyboardists, producers, fans of desktop PODs, curious Pedalboards of Doom members who post anti-modeling memes, etc.), it needed to be extremely versatile and almost obnoxiously portable. That meant squeezing it into a tough-as-nails pedal—not a slightly smaller traditional floor modeler—yet never sacrificing any sound quality or what it means to be Helix/HX.
 
Yeah, but that honkin’ huge DC-3G power supply is like a third the size of the entire pedal!
The power supply is large, yes. To ensure the same signal integrity of its bigger brothers, we needed a burly power supply.
 
That said, these two seem to work just fine:
  • Strymon Zuma R300—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs
  • Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 4x4—Appears to work fine when doubling up TWO 9V outputs
IMPORTANT NOTE #1: HX Stomp’s sophisticated circuitry pulls notably more than your average pedal. Hence, we used a DC IN jack with a larger center pin to sort of disincentivize people from throwing whatever at it. The stock DC cables that come with the power supplies listed above will NOT fit. Note that Eventide does the exact same thing with their H9.
 
IMPORTANT NOTE #2: YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN. Feel free to use this FAQ as a starting point, but Line 6 is not responsible for any damage incurred when using HX Stomp with any third-party power supplies. That is, if someone writes "B-b-but Line 6 said I could use [power supply X!]," someone will hopefully refer them to this post where I make it perfectly clear that we only *officially* support our DC-3G.
 
Can HX Stomp run on batteries?
No.
 
The chassis gets a bit warm after a while. Is that normal?
Yes. HX Stomp isn’t a budget modeler—it’s a hardcore, professional solution with four circuit boards (one with 12 layers) crammed with serious analog and digital circuitry that happens to have been meticulously squeezed into a tiny chassis. It’s gonna put off a bit of heat. Totally normal.
 
If you connect all the jacks on the sides, it kinda looks like an octopus.
The most commonly used jacks are all on the back. Besides, octopuses are awesome. Have you seen them open jars?
 
Excuse me, but the plural of octopus is octopi.
 
Dimensions/weight?
Including the jacks, 7”w x 5”d x 2.5”h; 1.75 lbs.
 
What’s the price?
$599.99 US street.
 
When is HX Stomp available?
Now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just acquired a Firehawk 1500 and I am curious. Several threads on this forum speak about using a Helix to plug into the Firehawk and bypassing the DSP to turn the amp into a Helix FRFR.

I assume that he connectivity issue of using Helix Stomp with the Firehawk would be the same as using the Helix and that the most likely way of hooking it up would be the 4CM(which I do not fully understand.) So is this right? I noticed on the product page that you show a diagram of the 4CM but do not show the specific connection points. Is this detail forthcoming in the product manual? I would love to jam along with my MP3s through the Firehawk 1500 with all the HD effects and amps from the Helix available at my feet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Or not 4cm since several options have been discussed but I am still not sure what the best method is. Diagrams and specific instructions definitely needed here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just recently bought the POD HD500X because I couldn't afford the Helix system. Now they come out with this just weeks later!!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:
Can HX Stomp load Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, or HX Effects presets?
As long as the preset has six or fewer blocks, you can use HX Edit 2.70 (available soon) to access both devices at once and copy and paste blocks back and forth. Rebuilding a Helix preset in HX Stomp shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds.

 

Can I download the factory presets for HX Stomp and load them into my Helix Floor or Rack, without having to buy HX Stomp?

 

If HX Edit can access both a Helix Floor/Rack and HX Stomp at the same time, does this mean I would be able to access both a Floor and Rack at the same time?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, alitz said:

I just acquired a Firehawk 1500 and I am curious. Several threads on this forum speak about using a Helix to plug into the Firehawk and bypassing the DSP to turn the amp into a Helix FRFR.

I assume that he connectivity issue of using Helix Stomp with the Firehawk would be the same as using the Helix and that the most likely way of hooking it up would be the 4CM(which I do not fully understand.) So is this right? I noticed on the product page that you show a diagram of the 4CM but do not show the specific connection points. Is this detail forthcoming in the product manual? I would love to jam along with my MP3s through the Firehawk 1500 with all the HD effects and amps from the Helix available at my feet.

 

Yeah I was curious about the same thing. I love my 1500, and I have read numerous mixed opinions on connecting a HELIX to it.  I have to admit the saner part of me feels it's mega overkill, and I had practically decided not to worry about it.

 

Then this thing comes out and suddenly there's a VERY dinky way to have HELIX access when I want it with the 1500. Based on what I've seen, it sure seems feasible.  If we are primarily just interested in the stomp effects, we ought to just be able to plus it into the Firehawk's fx send and return options.

 

Using this machine's amp effects seem like a harder approach, but the four cable method sure seems plausible. My issue there is I use a Variax, and I like powering it and tuning it with the Firehawk amp vs. the guitar itself (it's far faster and easier). 

 

The four cable method would require I use the Variax on battery and any crazy tunings would have to either be presaved or created using the Variax's own method, which is a bit of a pain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The manual mentions the HX stomp also accepts MIDI commands via USB.

 

Does it also function as a USB Host, so we can connect an FBV Shortboard MKii to use as an external HX Stomp footcontroller via USB?

 

It's great that the HX stomp supportd midi, but it's a bit of a missed opportunity it does not have the RJ45 connector to connect an FBV MKii or a Helix control footcontroller (but I suppose some of the connectors had to go in such a small box). So I'm hoping the MIDI over USB can be used with an FBV mkii or Helix foot controller...

 

Anyone can confirm this works (or doesn't)? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HX STOMP does NOT function as a USB Host 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just had a look at some of my Helix LT Presets, and unfortunately, 6 blocks looks quite restrictive.

 

At least part of this is because I've been lazy or extravagant when programming the LT; but, as it stands, I couldn't 'just use' a Stomp. 

 

Which is a shame.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi,

 

Question about MIDI functions. I tried to study manual but I could not it figure.

 

Can I assign MIDI PC command or CC commads to a footswitch so that I can send them throuh MIDI OUT to Bluguitar AMP-1 ?

And if so, how to do it?

And if so, is there a problem that there are some reserved MIDI CC messages, that are same with Bluguitar AMP-1 (e.g. CC 50 or CC 60)?

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, KARHUJAXT said:

Hi,

 

Question about MIDI functions. I tried to study manual but I could not it figure.

 

Can I assign MIDI PC command or CC commads to a footswitch so that I can send them throuh MIDI OUT to Bluguitar AMP-1 ?

And if so, how to do it?

And if so, is there a problem that there are some reserved MIDI CC messages, that are same with Bluguitar AMP-1 (e.g. CC 50 or CC 60)?

 

Thanks.

 

No, there is no Command Center in the Stomp, so you can’t assign MIDI commands to footswitches like you can on the Helix or HX Effects. It will send a PC message (the one associated with that preset) when you change presets if you want, but that’s it. It’s designed to be controlled by MIDI, not to be a MIDI controller.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Yeah I was curious about the same thing. I love my 1500, and I have read numerous mixed opinions on connecting a HELIX to it.  I have to admit the saner part of me feels it's mega overkill, and I had practically decided not to worry about it.

 

Then this thing comes out and suddenly there's a VERY dinky way to have HELIX access when I want it with the 1500. Based on what I've seen, it sure seems feasible.  If we are primarily just interested in the stomp effects, we ought to just be able to plus it into the Firehawk's fx send and return options.

 

Using this machine's amp effects seem like a harder approach, but the four cable method sure seems plausible. My issue there is I use a Variax, and I like powering it and tuning it with the Firehawk amp vs. the guitar itself (it's far faster and easier). 

 

The four cable method would require I use the Variax on battery and any crazy tunings would have to either be presaved or created using the Variax's own method, which is a bit of a pain.

I just recently bought a Variax myself because I figured that with all the soundscapes available from the Firehawk, I might as well go for the instrument that could use them all. And I agree that adding a Helix to the mix is definitely a bit of overkill. But with all these guys talking about using the Firehawk as an FRFR for their Helix (or Kemper, Fractal etc.) that it would be very cool to have all those Helix presets available on the Firehawk. And of course, the Mini Helix with all the sounds of the big brother and less than half the cost seemed like it was calling to me when I saw it in my email.

I sent an inquiry directly to L6 asking for the definitive way to hookup and although the response was prompt, they essentially told me that there was no "Best way" and that the method would depend on what sounds that I was looking for. All I want is just a nice diagram showing both the Firehawk and Helix Stomp and all the possible connection methods. I didn't even consider the fact that the 4CM method would require hooking the guitar up through the guitar input and that this would not work with the Variax input. But I certainly want to take advantage of the Firehawk 1500s stereo speaker set up in all its wet goodness for effects.

I actually thought of your idea of using the Helix stomp for just its FX presets but doesn't that become the Helix FX which by the way costs exactly the same as the stomp. Perhaps the FX is the route to go to get those Helix sounds. On the otherhand, don't the presets usually include both the effects and the amp settings? And wouldn't you be loosing the bass rigs that are in the Stomp. I have a bass that I know the Firehawk can handle, but there is only one bass guitar preset in the Firehawk so the addition of these sounds in the Helix was a reason it appealed to me.

Essentially, the Helix Stomp should have the same I/O connectivity of the Helix. The forums suggest the question of Helix connectivity with the Firehawk 1500  is dependent on indvidual applications, but only one video on Facebook shows a connection method, and it is so confusing and convaluted with several I/O circled with chalk that I'll be dammed if I can understand what the guy is doing. Perhaps if someone at Line 6 would just diagram this, it would actually work but even though they did come up with those nice multi-colored diagrams showing the connection possibilities, none of those show the actual I/Os of the units. It would be great if the Helix Stomp manual would show all these diagrams in detail, but considering the lack of general information in the Firehawk's manual, I doubt it. 

(Digital Igloo, if you are monitoring your forum post, please address this, because their are several Helix and Firehawk owners that want to know the answer.)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a helix and the looper does not have enough time.  Not sure about the HX effects, but would be nice if the looper had mor time on this- any thoughts?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, alitz said:

I sent an inquiry directly to L6 asking for the definitive way to hookup and although the response was prompt, they essentially told me that there was no "Best way" and that the method would depend on what sounds that I was looking for. All I want is just a nice diagram showing both the Firehawk and Helix Stomp and all the possible connection methods. I didn't even consider the fact that the 4CM method would require hooking the guitar up through the guitar input and that this would not work with the Variax input. But I certainly want to take advantage of the Firehawk 1500s stereo speaker set up in all its wet goodness for effects.

I actually thought of your idea of using the Helix stomp for just its FX presets but doesn't that become the Helix FX which by the way costs exactly the same as the stomp. Perhaps the FX is the route to go to get those Helix sounds. On the otherhand, don't the presets usually include both the effects and the amp settings? And wouldn't you be loosing the bass rigs that are in the Stomp. I have a bass that I know the Firehawk can handle, but there is only one bass guitar preset in the Firehawk so the addition of these sounds in the Helix was a reason it appealed to me.

 

Absolutely the Helix FX would be another substitute for the HX Stomp being connected to the FX channel of the Firehawk. What I don't know is what having an amp in the signal chain would do to the Firehawk wet/dry/wet setup and that's something that the Helix Stomp could not do - if it works. Like you, I wish there was clearer guidelines on this and I know I've seen the same YouTube video you refer to several hundred times. The loss of the Variax input is just tragic, but I think Line 6 is seeing this as their best hope for a Trojan Horse that converts more of the modelling uninitiated.  

 

In some ways, what you're doing really depends on what you already have though. In my case, the amp/cab models on the Firehawk sound brilliant especially through the Firehawk. I don't necessarily need the Stomp's cab models. However, Helix keeps updating new effects, and the original Firehawk has a somewhat limited (though perfectly adequate in most cases) amount of blocks you can have. The HX stomp seemed like a perfect way to expand the block chain out. Plus, I bought the FBV controller for the Firehawk 1500 and so the Helix Effects rack would add way too much real estate to my setup - the Stomp is nice and dinky. If a person didn't have the FBV though, and all they wanted was effects, the Helix Effects could be a great choice. 

 

Of course, my other reason for liking the Stomp is precisely how dinky it is.  I'm sure you've noticed moving your Firehawk 1500 around is like pushing around a small bus. The HX Stomp would allow me to plug in some headphones when I'm travelling, or when I just don't want to move the bus, and practice away with a ridiculous amount of settings. So I'm kind of interested in it both as a way to expand my Firehawk's abilities AND to have an easy way to practice on the go. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HX Edit and firmware 2.70 - When, dammit? Need G.A.S fix <grunting and snorting fire like Schmodzilla>

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi, I am planning to get an HX stomp since i am just getting into the IR thing. I have a Victory Kraken preamp pedal. Its got its own tubes inside. (If possible), how could I use the IRs in the HX Stomp to make my preamp sound like a full combo to record that signal? I read the IR page on the manual and didn‘t find it. Thanks for your answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like that could be really interesting for me. Never had a helix or used the 4 cable method, but I hope somebody can answer my questions.


For my main rhythm sound I use and still want to use an external drive + my Revv G3 pedal.
I'd like to have these two pedals in the front of the HX Stomp and (sometimes) just use an IR in the HX. I guess this shouldn't be a problem.
Then I would need the same preset and the HX Stomp should just add some FX and a clean boost for my solo sound. Should also work, think.

My third preset would be totally different. Just a clean HX Stomp amp + FX + IR. Is it possible to bypass my external pedals when I use that preset without having to turn them off?
Just one step and I have my clean "channel" and don't have to play Fred Astaire? My live would be so much easier.
At the moment I use the AmpliFirebox and it's obviously not possible there.

 

Any advice would be nice :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kilrahi said:

 

Absolutely the Helix FX would be another substitute for the HX Stomp being connected to the FX channel of the Firehawk. What I don't know is what having an amp in the signal chain would do to the Firehawk wet/dry/wet setup and that's something that the Helix Stomp could not do - if it works. Like you, I wish there was clearer guidelines on this and I know I've seen the same YouTube video you refer to several hundred times. The loss of the Variax input is just tragic, but I think Line 6 is seeing this as their best hope for a Trojan Horse that converts more of the modelling uninitiated.  

 

In some ways, what you're doing really depends on what you already have though. In my case, the amp/cab models on the Firehawk sound brilliant especially through the Firehawk. I don't necessarily need the Stomp's cab models. However, Helix keeps updating new effects, and the original Firehawk has a somewhat limited (though perfectly adequate in most cases) amount of blocks you can have. The HX stomp seemed like a perfect way to expand the block chain out. Plus, I bought the FBV controller for the Firehawk 1500 and so the Helix Effects rack would add way too much real estate to my setup - the Stomp is nice and dinky. If a person didn't have the FBV though, and all they wanted was effects, the Helix Effects could be a great choice. 

 

Of course, my other reason for liking the Stomp is precisely how dinky it is.  I'm sure you've noticed moving your Firehawk 1500 around is like pushing around a small bus. The HX Stomp would allow me to plug in some headphones when I'm travelling, or when I just don't want to move the bus, and practice away with a ridiculous amount of settings. So I'm kind of interested in it both as a way to expand my Firehawk's abilities AND to have an easy way to practice on the go. 

 

 

I also have the issue with the Variax input. I was wondering if part of this could be solved with the addition of the Line 6 Variax Cabled Power Kit 9V XPS AB Box to take away the need for batteries. I also wanted to be able to utilize both the Firehawk DSPs and those on the Helix Stomp. The Firehawk has Variax specific presets and the Stomp has more presets for Bass and Acoustics. The more I look at this the more confused I get. It shouldn't be this hard since all of these are relatively new and current L6 products so they should be compatible and be able to be used together. But the diagrams don't mention the Variax or the Firehawk as connection options. It seems very interesting to me that when you check out the promotion videos for the Stomp from Paul Hindmarsh and Andy Paredes, that they are using Yamaha guitars and when they are demonstrating the Helix floor or even the Firehawk, Hindmarsh uses a Variax. Another poster on these pages lamented that it seemed they were developing these products as "one hand not aware what the other was doing." 

As I said before, I asked these questions directly on the Line 6 help page and they told me that there was no "best" way to connect these products and that they were designed for experimentation to find the best way for the user. I guess I can understand why adding the Variax connection might cause  a little too much heat due to the increased current draw in this very small and fully packed unit. I just think that Line 6 should at least address the current product line and compatibility with all current products in their manuals. It looks like they did try to make the manual for the Stomp somewhat more complete but it is still lacking in this respect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, I'm gonna own an HX Stomp. I was originally looking at the Helix...way too much gear and too pricey, so i looked at the LT, better price still a lot of money. Helix Native i don't believe can run in stand alone mode (vst only?) Then HX Stomp makes it's appearance. Ya, this is settled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2018 at 7:06 PM, wilkinsi said:

HX Edit and firmware 2.70 - When, dammit? Need G.A.S fix <grunting and snorting fire like Schmodzilla>

 

This week according to Digital Igloo and Frank 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Rockinguy said:

Yep, I'm gonna own an HX Stomp. I was originally looking at the Helix...way too much gear and too pricey, so i looked at the LT, better price still a lot of money. Helix Native i don't believe can run in stand alone mode (vst only?) Then HX Stomp makes it's appearance. Ya, this is settled.

 

Helix Native can run in any VST host including free ones that make it standalone such as Savihost:

 

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/helix-native-w-savihost-and-asio4all-no-noticeable-latency.1857013/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pulled the trigger last night. Sold my tc-electronics nova today. Look forward to Helix sound at 3rd the size of the Nova. Hope I solve the connection puzzle of Firehawk 1500 with this thing as a Frfr.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is quite a marvel, to create a compact Helix,

The Black sparkle magic seems like a marketing term for super fragile microscopic components like the ilk of mobile phones.Please expound!

Amazing nonetheless!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 3:44 PM, phil_m said:

 

No, there is no Command Center in the Stomp, so you can’t assign MIDI commands to footswitches like you can on the Helix or HX Effects. It will send a PC message (the one associated with that preset) when you change presets if you want, but that’s it. It’s designed to be controlled by MIDI, not to be a MIDI controller.

Phil, thank you for the clarification.

I was hoping to get rid of all extra gear and use this also as a command center. Because otherwise this HX Stomp is a dream to come true.

Does anyone has an educated guess, if firmware update could 'fix' stomp so, that one can also use it as a midi command center?

Is anyone else interested in this function?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm always told not to cram everything into one single unit, but I don't care, I need to ask, will this unit allow me to run two guitars simultaneously each with their own amp+cab model? Or is it too much for the DSP? I'm guessing as this is limited to 2 paths and 6 blocks it has only one TigerSHARC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FWIW,  many over in the "Kemper owners side" forum are quite excited over this little box! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It can bring a good solution for a backup.

Nevertheless, i use a variax and i am just about to receive my powercab+.....There's no variax input and midi controler so this is really an important drawback for me.

Beyond the fact i can't feed the variax, I won't be able to change the guitar model, the tone and the cab model speaker on PC+ just by pressing  one stomp......

 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mingyi said:

 6 blocks for each path ,or  6 blocks total?

I'd assumed 'total'; but 6 blocks for each path would be far more interesting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey,

first post. I got my HX stomp yesterday. Everything sounds great. However, It won't connect to HX Edit. Says no device present. My Helix connects no problems. Stomp firmware is 2.65.0 and HX Edit is 2.60. Is this a defective unit or am I just waiting for the 2.70 update?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Digital Igloo has already answered to this :

 

 

Can HX Stomp load Helix Floor, Helix Rack/Control, Helix LT, or HX Effects presets?
As long as the preset has six or fewer blocks, you can use HX Edit 2.70 (available soon) to access both devices at once and copy and paste blocks back and forth. Rebuilding a Helix preset in HX Stomp shouldn’t take more than 30 seconds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ugghhh . . . and now Musician's Friend just sent me a 15% off coupon . . .  that's like waiving cocopuffs in front of barely sober crackhead . . .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a question about the preset DIR patches by JS and GD ect..
Will these work through the regular line out into my tube amp?
I ask because I read that the pedal needs to be set to line level output to the powercab for using the DIR Patches.

If these patches do run through the line out into the tube amp, what happens to the IR signals ect.  ?

 

The Stomp has a 1/4" out, and the Powercab has a L6 in , how does this work?

thanks!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hi.

 

do you know this pedal?

Is this compatible?

 

Bank Up Down Express Pedal

 

M-AUDIO BLACK BOX PEDAL BOARD EX-P EXPRESSION+FOOT SWITCH FOR MIDI CONTROLLER 

 

and.

 

 FBV express !!!  Is this compatible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i´m thinking about buying two hx stomps and use them in 4cm , one in front of the amp, and one in the fx loop...i could place both units besides tha amp and achieve very short cable runs...(of course it would be ideal, if turnig off the last fx block could automatically turn the unit into true bypass mode...especially in front of the amp...)

 

is it possible to manage both units via a bigger, external midi board...would it be possible to have as much switch control (presets and istant access) as you´ve got with helix...?

if yes...which units would be great for controlling it that way...?

 

thanks a lot!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, rudomat said:

i´m thinking about buying two hx stomps and use them in 4cm , one in front of the amp, and one in the fx loop...i could place both units besides tha amp and achieve very short cable runs...(of course it would be ideal, if turnig off the last fx block could automatically turn the unit into true bypass mode...especially in front of the amp...)

 

is it possible to manage both units via a bigger, external midi board...would it be possible to have as much switch control (presets and istant access) as you´ve got with helix...?

if yes...which units would be great for controlling it that way...?

 

thanks a lot!

Wouldn't a single Helix (LT) do this better and cheaper ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/10/2018 at 1:31 PM, scallybert said:

I'd assumed 'total'; but 6 blocks for each path would be far more interesting.

Manual looks like 6 in total, and only 3 snapshots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scallybert said:

Wouldn't a single Helix (LT) do this better and cheaper ?

i´d really like to have totally short audio cables...so i was actually thinking about buying the helix rack and place it near my amp...but there´s been some points why i chose to not do that...(can´t even remember why in this moment...;-))

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×