Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Number of factory presets and templates in 2.8?

Hollowman_d1

There is no official info on this. However there are many new presets in the TEMPLATES setlist. These were built to aid in the use of the new Hotkey feature for working with some specific DAWs.

As far as the Factory 1 and Factory 2 setlists go there are periodically new or modified presets in a firmware release. I don't know whether or to what extent that has been done in v2.80. You would need to do a manual comparison of the corresponding setlists from v2.7x to v2.80.

I've just reloaded the old Factory 2 bank from 2.7 - and it's fully populated. Unlike my 2.8 version which stops at 24C.

Also, someone reckoned that there are 4 Jason Sadites patches, but I've only got 3, all in Factory Presets 1.

Any ideas why?

I followed the update procedure rigourously and I seem to have most of everything, so it's not like it hasn't updated. I've done a reinstal & only copied in my own presets

Remember that the firmware update does not install any factory presets. So unless you have specifically restored the v2.80 Factory presets (an option in the installation instructions) the Factory 2 setlist you have after the v2.80 installation is the setlist you had before updating. Just want to be sure everyone is clear about this.

30 minutes ago, Ed_Saxman said:

Can someone upload all the new 2.8 setlists, please?

I missed the option to rewrite the presets.

That’s not necessary, you can reload them at anytime. On the Helix floor model just reboot holding Footswitches 7&8.  

2 hours ago, surfsup1955 said:

That’s not necessary, you can reload them at anytime. On the Helix floor model just reboot holding Footswitches 7&8.  

Yes - but before doing so make backup copies of all your other setlists to restore them later. Or, if you already have a backup file, after restoring the v2.80 factory presets you can restore the backup but de-select the factory presets in the backup so you don't overwrite the new ones.

But it would also be good to be able to download the new setlists separately from the line6 homepage.

That would be a little more user friendly.

...does not necessarily have to be, just a suggestion

21 hours ago, silverhead said:

Yes - but before doing so make backup copies of all your other setlists to restore them later. Or, if you already have a backup file, after restoring the v2.80 factory presets you can restore the backup but de-select the factory presets in the backup so you don't overwrite the new ones.

Well, yea. Not to point out the obvious, but the update instructions were pretty clear about that already. I just assumed OP read those? 

Are there any new templates beside the DAW Hotkeys? And thanks for the upload of the Factory Presets. I missed that point in installation, after 5 times mentioning to backup.

Seems like Factory Preset 2.8 has less presets. 96 instead of 128

I have just done a thorough comparison.

The only template the is MISSING from the new set that was previously there is Quadraphonic - it was a four single-input, with four outputs (1/4 and XLR - both stereo), each with a different reverb on it. Not sure why they removed it, but it's gone.

Old 4C was DAW Remote (MMC) - this was moved down the list to go with the rest of the DAWs, and everything else was moved up one. Everything from 6A onward is new.

As for the Factory lists, I am ASSUMING that any playlists that have the same name have NOT changed. I base this on the fact that they have made slight name changes to some presets that HAVE changed (like Dover Cliffs vs. Cliffs of Grover). I'd love to get official confirmation on this.

I admit that with all the moving around of presets (sometimes even moving between FACTORY1 and FACTORY2), I might have counted one or two as "gone" that are still there, but I count 97 of the 256 presets that have been REMOVED from 2.71 to 2.80 - some have been replaced; other updated. What I find quite odd and confusing is that 24D onward (33 presets) on FACTORY 2 have been left blank. Why remove 33 more than you need for the new replacements? The only logic I can think of is that they wanted to leave some room for future updates without removing any.

Still, on the factory reset, there are five blank banks. No reason they couldn't have just started FACTORY3.

I'd love to hear something official on why they chose to do it this way. My plan is to create a new playlist with all the cut presets from 2.71.

Edit: For I'd also love to hear an explanation why they do not choose to group the BASS presets all together - they are in blocks, but on FAC1, they are in two different places, and they are also split between FAC1 and FAC2. There's all sorts of other interesting questions like why BAS:Domz Go 2.2 was updated to simply BAS:Donz Go instead of some higher number.

First of all, All. Presets. Suck.©

We removed a bunch of redundant or less-than-cool ones. Yes, there are fewer now, by design. I believe all presets have been touched in some way, regardless of whether or not the names have changed. Some have been reprogrammed from scratch. At minimum, high cuts and low cuts have been applied across the board.

2.80 presets are, at least to our ears, way better than those in 2.71. But they still suck. Because they're presets.

18 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

2.80 presets are, at least to our ears, way better than those in 2.71. But they still suck. Because they're presets.

You're doing yourselves injustice here Digital_Igloo. They are a great basis to build your own tone upon. That is why it is nice to have a better reference to the tone you guys were trying to emulate. So please do us a favor and tell us what your were aiming for, than maybe the community can improve upon them. We would all like to help you out, I am sure :-)

1 hour ago, Perrin1710 said:

You're doing yourselves injustice here Digital_Igloo. They are a great basis to build your own tone upon. That is why it is nice to have a better reference to the tone you guys were trying to emulate. So please do us a favor and tell us what your were aiming for, than maybe the community can improve upon them. We would all like to help you out, I am sure :-)

This assumes there is some sort of perceptual continuity amongst everybody who loads up a given factory preset... but there isn't. You could create a near perfect (to your ears) representation of any tone under the sun with your rig. But perception is the most variable and fickle thing in the world. There are zero guarantees that I'll hear anything remotely like what you heard when you created the patch. Factory presets suffer from the exact same problem. What they sounded like back at the mothership, and what they sound like in my living room, or yours, are likely to be 3 different things.

Pull anything you want from Customtone, and tell me how close it is to the description. You'll spend most of the time scratching your head and wondering if the guy who uploaded the patch was deaf or crazy... but it ain't him. It's you.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Pull anything you want from Customtone, and tell me how close it is to the description. You'll spend most of the time scratching your head and wondering if the guy who uploaded the patch was deaf or crazy... but it ain't him. It's you.

Not sure if I am crazy (just as much as you I guess), but - like I said - the templates are a good start (!) They certainly require tweaking and in some cases some major rework (or a delete - where is that function anyway) to sound anywhere close to the sound I was looking for.

I think it is just a bit daft to populate the system with presets and then have people guessing. I can assume copyrights or something might be an issue here, so the people at Line6 might be hesitant to spill the beans. Also, please consider the fact that not all of us are born in the USA or the UK, so some titles might be obvious to American or UK users. 

I suppose as Line6 seems to have the closest thing on the market to a genuine modeling ecosystem they could theoretically get the closest to having someone experience a preset as they did. They could for example say, all our presets are now designed using a Variax, Helix, and PowerCab+ and using those components will get you nearest to hearing the preset as it was intended;. Even if you use exactly the same equipment though you still won't hear a preset precisely as its designer did. To begin with no two guitars, even of the same make & model sound exactly alike, no two players play identically with the same attack, feel, etc.. As cruisinon alludes to they still can't account for the room you are listening in, your volume, the barometric pressure that day, the orientation of the speaker(flat on floor, raised on pole, etc.) and your distance from it, and most importantly your ears and your brain,  as well as all the other factors that impact how a tone is perceived. 

Factory presets, third party paid, and CustomeTone presets are a recipe that will never taste exactly to you as it did the cook.  "Other people's presets"(OPPs) are just a suggestion, sometimes they work for you exactly as they are, most times you need to adjust to taste. I have found OPPs can be really helpful for novel design and routing methods and tones, e.g. "how do I get a Hammond organ sound?", and for getting you partly or occasionally mostly in the direction of the tone you are searching for. I still design most of my presets from scratch though and when I use someones else's it is almost always after customizing it to my rig and tonal preference.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/31/2019 at 2:29 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

We removed a bunch of redundant or less-than-cool ones. Yes, there are fewer now, by design. I believe all presets have been touched in some way, regardless of whether or not the names have changed. Some have been reprogrammed from scratch. At minimum, high cuts and low cuts have been applied across the board.

Hi Digi, I was wondering if you have heard many reports of the factory presets using expression pedals being assigned to the wrong controllers? (Exp Toe Bypassing will swap the block but the control is for the block you just bypassed)

Hi could someone put up the new v2.81 Templates file. I dont want any of the presets but would like to check out the Hot Key templates without having to load up all the factory presets as well then doing a selective restore from backup. 

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this is not the right thread. I am newbie and have read and acknowledged all the 'presets suck' comments. Be patient as I am using the to learn the box

I have recently upgraded to 2.81 firmware on my LT and deliberately did NOT update the presets. I have noted those that are removed from the thread above.

When I cycle through the menu and select a preset that has been made obsolete, I get no sound. That makes sense.

HOWEVER, every subsequent preset I select (from Factory or User presets) also gives me NOTHING

I have to power the unit down and back up again!

I had a copy of 'Cavernous Clean' that I took from Factory and saved under my user presets.

NEITHER of those give me sound

*Updated* - I also restored the individual preset backup of 'Cavernous Clean' that I had taken, pre 2.81 upgrade, to the User 3 setlist: Still NOTHING

I would have thought the User preset would not have been impacted by the new firmware.

1. Is this correct behaviour and is the only solution to download the new presets?

2. If I save off my previous 2.71 level presets (which I have done before the upgrade) , download the new presets then restore the old ones, will I get 'Cavernous Clean' back in its previous form under my User and/or Factory presets?

3. If presets are going to be dropped off, there doesn't appear to be much warning. Should I make a suggestion for some 'Pre Upgrade' instructions to save them individually AND that specific ones will be deleted. 

• 1 year later...

@georgevoigt

Wow! You're talking Ancient History in terms of Helix FW!

Not that someone here on the User Support Forms may have the older Presets and be able to help you out...

Either way, be sure to first update your Helix Device Firmware to the latest version (currently 3.11) and then Rebuild those old presets so they convert properly. 

On 6/7/2021 at 4:38 PM, georgevoigt said:

Does someone’s have the factory 1 and 2 presets from V 2.71?

I think you can get all(most?) of the old firmware version presets at the link below although I don't know if it specifically has the 2.71 presets but it might. It might require downloading from a couple of links on that page. Scroll down to the bottom of the page for a download link for all the older deleted ones up to I believe version 2.5(?).  The newer firmware versions have links further up the page.

You can also try using the 'File' --> 'Extract Files From Backup' utility in HX Edit to extract the 2.71 presets if you have an old 2.71 backup.

http://benvesco.com/store/line-6-helix/

• Upvote 1

Thank you !! I’m actually new, just got it Saturday, so I don’t have older presets. It arrives with 3.11 firmware updates, and the presets were great- I started using, then deleted overwrote and lost a couple, so… I did factory reset, amd all of the presets changed positions, and were different models, like dimebag Darrel, pull me under- I guess dream theater. I prefer what it was when it arrived. After much digging, Sweetwater didn’t update the presets, I didn’t back up, so I lost the ones I started with. Finally, Line 6 emailed me the factory 1 and 2 presets from 2.71. I can just load them up into the user bank. Ty so much for the input. I’ll be back…