Jump to content
Digital_Igloo

Helix/HX 2.91 Hotfix Update

Recommended Posts

Thank you for the quick turnaround on this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This didn't resolve my tap tempo not working (Helix Rack).

 

Looking how to factory reset the rack...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SmackedActor said:

This didn't resolve my tap tempo not working (Helix Rack).

 

Looking how to factory reset the rack...

 

This should help

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, done. Went great without any glitches, fixes seem to fix exactly what the info page says, tap tempo (my biggest concern) is fine!

Have to say that this was a stunningly fast fix, gonna tip my hat at Line 6 for that!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks for this and the awesome fast response

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Line 6 rocks! Awesome turnaround on the hotfix! Tip 'o the whole Susquehana hat factory to you gents.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine seems to be stuck at "beginning firmware download..."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klgood1 said:

Mine seems to be stuck at "beginning firmware download..."

 

Could perhaps be the server being slow-ish.

Maybe Line 6 should provide an easy way for an offline update. Download the file, open it via HX Edits updater functionality and go ahead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, klgood1 said:

Mine seems to be stuck at "beginning firmware download..."


As noted in the post above, it is possibly due to the amount of traffic on the server.  The same thing happened to me earlier today, even getting the direct download was a little flakey. Anyhow, when you do get it, I didn’t spot a way to use HX Edit to finish the job. I think that it is still using the Line 6 Updater application (v 1.9 if I recall) behind HX Edit. I noticed on my Mac what appeared to be a newer version of the previous type of Updater, that connected up to my Helix and installed the local v2.91 patch file - no problem. Having said that, considering the hot fix is so small it took a lot longer than doing the 2.9 through HX Edit.

 

Try it, nothing to lose.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

HX Edit 2.90 Update installed rapidly! 

 

HX Edit 2.90 updated HX Stomp from 2.81 to 2.91, in < 5 minutes w/o pblm!

 

Next, the Helix Floor.... 

 

[Addendum: Helix Floor updated from 2.81 to 2.91 w/o pblms. Preset Rebuild took longer than update installation. Startup now is much faster!] 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, datacommando said:

I noticed on my Mac what appeared to be a newer version of the previous type of Updater, that connected up to my Helix and installed the local v2.9

hi, are you saying that the new hotfix updater allows you to look for a local firmware d/load? .. i wasn’t able to update to firmware 2.9 yet as my computer wont seem to connect to line6 updater sign in anymore.. be great if i can just d/load the firmware and update locally.. it was a process you could do in the past but seems i couldn’t on the new hx edit..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MusicLaw said:

HX Edit 2.90 Update installed rapidly! 

 

HX Edit 2.90 updated HX Stomp from 2.81 to 2.91, in < 5 minutes w/o pblm!

 

Next, the Helix Floor.... 

 

[Addendum: Helix Floor updated from 2.81 to 2.91 w/o pblms. Preset Rebuild took longer than update installation. Startup now is much faster!] 


The initial update to v2.9 was a breeze and extremely quick compared with prior firmware installation - I would guess that is down to last big change when the Core  was modified.

 

The only thing was while trying to use HX Edit to preform the “hot fix” it appeared to be sitting there chewing away at something, but not getting anywhere. After around 30 minutes it still was not making any headway and on clicking the “About” menu it returned the message that the hardware was no longer connected, even though it was. I decided to bailout and the Helix remained unaffected - it remained fully functional as a 2.9 unit. 
 

When I checked back on the Line 6 download page, it appeared very slow and unresponsive, which I put down to the fact that everybody was trying to do the same. Anyhow, I downloaded the memory patch and went in through the back door to flash the update which was fine other than it took a long time even though I was no longer connected to the internet.

 

One more thing to note is, I don’t think that the “phone home” thing that HX Edit uses to log in to the user account and check for updates, plays nice with firewall routines and blockers like “Little Snitch” even when it has been given a pass. It doesn’t like those at all.


Hopefully now we can all return to lockdown with new stuff to mess with. Big thanks to all the Line 6 crew for their continued development of this monster.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, shanecgriffo said:

hi, are you saying that the new hotfix updater allows you to look for a local firmware d/load?


I did everything by the posted installation notes to do the initial update to 2.9 and it was very simple and quick through HX Edit 2.9.

 

It was only later when trying to do the “hot fix” that, after everything ground to a halt, I decided to go for the old school approach and use the Line 6 Update program. When I looked it seemed to have a newer modified date, so launched it and it detected my Helix as 2.9. As I was disconnected from the internet I pointed I at the patch file and away it went. Everything works - no issues, other than it seemed a lot slower performing the patch than it did doing the jump from 2.82 to 2.9 which was smooth as silk.

 

Caveat: Note, this was on a 2016 Mac 27” 5k Retina model. Should you wish to try this you do so at your own risk - no guarantees given or implied. Plus you must download and install 2.9 HX Edit and back up all your stuff first. You’re on your own after that.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, datacommando said:


I did everything by the posted installation notes to do the initial update to 2.9 and it was very simple and quick through HX Edit 2.9.

 

It was only later when trying to do the “hot fix” that, after everything ground to a halt, I decided to go for the old school approach and use the Line 6 Update program. When I looked it seemed to have a newer modified date, so launched it and ir detected my Helix as 2.9. As I was disconnected from the internet I pointed I at the patch file and away it went. Everything works - no issues, other than it seemed a lot slower performing the patch than it did doing the jump from 2.82 to 2.9.

 

Caveat: Should you wish to try this you do it at your own risk - no guarantees give or implied. Plus you must download and install 2.9 HX Edit and back up all your stuff first. You’re on your own after that.

 

My guess is that at some point they'll incorporate the old manual update via a downloaded "Flash Memory" file as an option into the new HX Edit. An important alternative for those who have unreliable or even no internet access where their device is located. Until then good to know the old procedure still works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, HonestOpinion said:

 

My guess is that at some point they'll incorporate the old manual update via a downloaded "Flash Memory" file as an option into the new HX Edit. An important alternative for those who have unreliable or even no internet access where their device is located. Until then good to know the old procedure still works.


There are many users that suffer from bad internet connections and there should be the option for installing a local file. Although having said that, I was really impressed by the new slick HX Edit install routine.
 

It was only later, when looking for the backup of the previous Line 6 Updater, that I thought to myself, it could have quietly been automatically installed along with the HX Edit 2.9 and was actually running in the background. Too many revision numbers to say without  checking prior copies, but that could be getting too far down the rabbit hole. Just say, that’s simply my guess as to what’s happening. It was a rather convoluted  way of flashing the memory and also created floods of “update bricked my Helix” posts with earlier Firmware.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I concur that if the Update Process, as of version 2.90 Helix Firmware and 2.90 HX Edit is now going to be handled by HX Edit, then HX Edit should provide a method to use a locally present version of the flash file (as an alternative to requiring Internet connectivity). This would provide a method for users preferring to use a locally present version of the flash file for their helix hardware, such if they suffer from less than ideal Internet connectivity, or for installation while traveling when Internet connectivity may be intermittent or unavailable. Of course, this presumes the relevant Flash File(s) for the hardware devices had already been obtained via Internet download, or from a thumb drive.

 

My impression is that Line 6 Updater 1.90 was updated by Helix Edit 2.90's installation, making it available for Line 6's products other than the Helix and HX products. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When you install the Helix Edit 2.90, the Line 6 Updater 1.19 is installed, if you do not unchecked that option. i.e. just like you can uncheck Helix Native.


Before I installed Helix Edit 2.90, I uninstalled everything Helix from Windows Uninstall. Then I installed Helix Edit 2.90, I looked and saw the Line 6 Updater 1.19 was installed.

So I used it to offline update the Firmware 2.90, it worked just like before, perfect.
 

So when 2.91 came out, I decided to try the update through the Helix Edit 2.90, like the instructions stated. I 1st downloaded Helix Edit 2.90 and re installed it again, just in case they updated anything, everything looked the same.

 

I tried the update Flash through Helix Edit 2.90, no option to use the downloaded flash file... hmm So I went forward and about 10% into file installed it locked up.

I rebooted Helix, and used the Line 6 Updater 1.19 tool offline and flashed the 2.91 file with no problem.

Without having the Line 6 Updater 1.19 tool you could not go back to order versions, so it needs to be part of the process along with the Flash downloaded offline files.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Version 2.82 to 2.90 to 2.91 with a reset (for factory presets), imports, global tweaks and two cautionary iterative backups:  ~70 minutes (and I own a monster machine).

 

The process is straightforward, but a kludge and a time suck (especially the startup preset rebuilding slog).  However, I am appreciative of owning a product which continues to receive meaningful updates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, ThePup said:

Version 2.82 to 2.90 to 2.91 with a reset (for factory presets), imports, global tweaks and two cautionary iterative backups:  ~70 minutes (and I own a monster machine).

 

The process is straightforward, but a kludge and a time suck (especially the startup preset rebuilding slog).  However, I am appreciative of owning a product which continues to receive meaningful updates.

 

With an almost empty Helix, the process seems to be a *lot* faster (I exported everything before the update and cleared all my setlists and IR slots), so to me it seems there's not much Line 6 could do about it, unless they can speed up the patch/IR loading process. Anyway, even if it takes an hour, I don't think that's a lot, given you only do these kinda things once or twice a year.

And fwiw, a "monster machine" very likely won't help to speed the process up at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My laptop is in need of an upgrade sooooo....  I decided to use my Windows 10 workstation.  I installed the same release I currently had (2.82) on my floor Helix and did a complete backup as well as a individual setlist backup because I am that neurotic.  I installed HX Edit 2.90 and complete FS9+FS10 reset on my Helix before re-connecting to the system.  I used HX Edit via the login icon to upgrade the Helix to 2.91; my first time using HX Edit direct and find this to be a really nice feature.  I then did something I have never done ... Once it started the process I walked away (I know I am tempting the fates) for about 20 minutes or so and when I returned the Helix was upgraded, rebuilt, and rebooted.  I then restored the IR & Global settings then only installed two of my setlists since I am going to try a new approach to building my the parallel path Helix to PA and 4CM to Boogie later.  Then I switched off then back on the Helix using FS10+FS11 to force the rebuild just because.  The upgrade was swift.  It is the individual preparation before and after that I choose that added the extra time.  I did a final backup after I was finished and noted that the 2.91 does take a little longer then any previous version to date; not much but it is a little more.

 

Dennis

 

PS: All in all it went very well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SaschaFranck said:

 

With an almost empty Helix, the process seems to be a *lot* faster (I exported everything before the update and cleared all my setlists and IR slots), so to me it seems there's not much Line 6 could do about it, unless they can speed up the patch/IR loading process. Anyway, even if it takes an hour, I don't think that's a lot, given you only do these kinda things once or twice a year.

And fwiw, a "monster machine" very likely won't help to speed the process up at all.

Yes, thanks for the tip.  The "monster" reference was to infer that the slog was Helix centric.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got a message from HX Edit that my update is complete but I don't see on the unit any activity for Presets Library being rebuild, HX Edit says that it should take a few minutes. I have been waiting for more than 30 minutes and I am afraid to turn it off or I am afraid to click on HX Edit  "Back to HX Edit."

 

Should I wait longer?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I decided to click on "Back to HX Edit", it sows firmware 2.91.

 

I turned off the HX Stomp and when I turned it on it shows firmware 2.91 but I was expecting to see new factory presets and it still shows my old presets with my own IRs. Does it mean that I don't need to restore my backup that I did before installing firmware 2.91?

Please confirm,

Thank you:)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, henrykc said:

So I decided to click on "Back to HX Edit", it sows firmware 2.91.

 

I turned off the HX Stomp and when I turned it on it shows firmware 2.91 but I was expecting to see new factory presets and it still shows my old presets with my own IRs. Does it mean that I don't need to restore my backup that I did before installing firmware 2.91?

Please confirm,

Thank you:)


Hi Henry,

 

What you experienced is perfectly normal behaviour, as the update keeps all your previous presets, but will wipe your Globals. Prior to updating to 2.91 you would have been advised to make a backup of the things on your HX Stomp. After updating it is advisable to restore your backup to the hardware, this will ensure that things like your “global” setting remain as they were.


As there are no acknowledged changes to the factory presets, but if you wish to check that you have the option to load the factory presets from HX Edit, personally, I wouldn’t bother and just go ahead enjoying your new toy.

 

Hope this helps/makes sense

 

Stay safe

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Updated HX Edit 2.90

Updated Helix LT to 2.91

Turned off/on all as per instructions

 

Now I'm trying to restore my back up and get and error which states that the device has not been initialised properly (code -8201) and every time I switch off and back on the device takes an age rebuilding presets.

 

Can I correct this? How do I go about it?

 

Screenshot 2020-05-01 13.19.20.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SoSage said:

Updated HX Edit 2.90

Updated Helix LT to 2.91

Turned off/on all as per instructions

 

Now I'm trying to restore my back up and get and error which states that the device has not been initialised properly (code -8201) and every time I switch off and back on the device takes an age rebuilding presets.

 

Can I correct this? How do I go about it?

 

Screenshot 2020-05-01 13.19.20.png


Try holding down FS9 & FS10 while powering up. That will do a factory reset. Then try restoring from backup after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/29/2020 at 1:05 PM, henrykc said:

I got a message from HX Edit that my update is complete but I don't see on the unit any activity for Presets Library being rebuild, HX Edit says that it should take a few minutes. I have been waiting for more than 30 minutes and I am afraid to turn it off or I am afraid to click on HX Edit  "Back to HX Edit."

 

Should I wait longer?

Yea mine did the same thing, there was no rebuild that I could see either. I finally clicked on the HX-Edit tab and it came up ok. I need to "double-check" ands see if I have the new stomps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just bought an HX Stomp and immediately upgraded the firmware to 2.91, but I now have no presets! I tried restarting it holding down the two buttons, and holding down all the footswitches, but even after the rebuild presets procedure, there are no presets!

 

I don't have a backup, since I just bought the thing. Do you guys have one?

 

EDIT: I went back to 2.80, which loaded the factory presets, then went forward to 2.91 and now it's all good :) I assume it's because it came with 2.40 something and there was a major upgrade with 2.80

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, crmne said:

EDIT: I went back to 2.80, which loaded the factory presets, then went forward to 2.91 and now it's all good :) I assume it's because it came with 2.40 something and there was a major upgrade with 2.80

 

Glad you managed to get updated to 2.91 and yes, your assumption was correct - there was a big change to the HX Core operating system, but you are over that hurdle. Now you just have to wait for FW v3.0 which is rumoured to be the next big leap forward for the Helix line.

Have fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...