Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Hi,

Not a bug per se, but just an awkward editor UI issue.  I was setting up a two amp patch with one panned hard right and the other hard left.  I wanted to add just a TOUCH of delay to the right to simulate double tracking.  I wanted to get 50ms of delay.  That is almost impossible to fine touch that kind of value.  Down there the slider resolution is way too coarse and the arrows bump it up and down by 80ms.

I ended up going to the knobs on the Helix to tune it in.  Can we get a direct entry option for fine tuning?  Click on the control and type a number?

Thanks!

Hi,

Not a bug per se, but just an awkward editor UI issue.  I was setting up a two amp patch with one panned hard right and the other hard left.  I wanted to add just a TOUCH of delay to the right to simulate double tracking.  I wanted to get 50ms of delay.  That is almost impossible to fine touch that kind of value.  Down there the slider resolution is way too coarse and the arrows bump it up and down by 80ms.

I ended up going to the knobs on the Helix to tune it in.  Can we get a direct entry option for fine tuning?  Click on the control and type a number?

Thanks!

It is not very obvious, but if you right click (or Ctrl + click) directly on the number at the right of any slider it allows you to type in your value directly.

Here's an Editor bug I ran into last night:

I took an existing preset X and edited it and saved it as a new preset Y. I then dragged and dropped preset Y in between presets C and D, but that resulted in preset X appearing both there and in its original location and preset Y disappearing completely. I turned the Helix off and on again, and then saw that the new preset X in between presets C and D had some of the edits that I had made in preset Y. FWIW, I also had Garageband open and was making all of my preset edits on the Helix itself. I only used the Editor for preset ordering.

I think I found a bug with the looper when it's assigned to FS8 and the global settings for the number of footswitches is set to 10.   If I'm in Stomp mode, and then activate the looper,  FS1 and FS7 become Bank Up and Down footswitches, which persist after exiting the looper, and remain usable as Bank switches.  The previously assigned functions are unavailable.

Let me know if you can duplicate this, and I'll open a bug report.  Latest helix firmware.

Hello Helix Team

Defect

Tap tempo produces audible artifacts when tapping tempo while playing.

Steps

1) Install firmware 1.6 or beta 1/10

2) Open a patch or create one

3) Assign a delay

4) Switch delay to time. (set to 1/4)

5) Play the sound (strum chords)

6) Attempt to tap the tempo

7) Repeat step #6 changing various tempos

Expected

Delay will change tempo based on user tap and no

artifacts will be heard.

Actual

Delay will change tempo based on user tap and however

artifacts will be heard.

NOTE Artifacts are 'sqwelch' 'chirp' rapid up and down delay

computer glitch sound

NOTE If not playing while taping artifacts are not noticeable.

Attempting while playing and entering tempos bad artifacts are heard,

Legacy

HD500 does not have this issue.

Hello Helix Team

Defect

Tap tempo produces audible artifacts when tapping tempo while playing.

Steps

1) Install firmware 1.6 or beta 1/10

2) Open a patch or create one

3) Assign a delay

4) Switch delay to time. (set to 1/4)

5) Play the sound (strum chords)

6) Attempt to tap the tempo

7) Repeat step #6 changing various tempos

Expected

Delay will change tempo based on user tap and no

artifacts will be heard.

Actual

Delay will change tempo based on user tap and however

artifacts will be heard.

NOTE Artifacts are 'sqwelch' 'chirp' rapid up and down delay

computer glitch sound

NOTE If not playing while taping artifacts are not noticeable.

Attempting while playing and entering tempos bad artifacts are heard,

Legacy

This is actually by design, but whether or not you hear this is selectable in the Global Settings menu. To change it go to Global Settings > MIDI/Tempo > Page 2: Knob 1 (Tap Tempo Pitch) and change the setting from "authentic" to "transparent".

Ok thats great, tested and that was it. That said. why does it even have the other mode

and I noticed when using this mode that tapping interrupts (slightly) particle reverb?

Hey Mark - I think "authentic" mode is intended to emulate the actual old echo and delay devices, such as when you move the echo time lever on an old tape Echoplex - you'd get that tape pitch-shift/warble, and some folks liked the effect of it. If you keep the global setting to Authentic and assign a Delay's Time parameter to an Exp pedal, you could possibly make use of that weird effect, if you're into that kinda thing :)

Hey Mark - I think "authentic" mode is intended to emulate the actual old echo and delay devices, such as when you move the echo time lever on an old tape Echoplex - you'd get that tape pitch-shift/warble, and some folks liked the effect of it. If you keep the global setting to Authentic and assign a Delay's Time parameter to an Exp pedal, you could possibly make use of that weird effect, if you're into that kinda thing :)

Or assign it to a non-latching foot switch and you can warble on demand.

I did create a ticket on this issue.

OS - Windows 8.1 Enterprise

HP Laptop - Pavilion g7

App 1.11 [latest as of date this happened ... 4/23/2016]

F/W 1.10.0 [latest as of date this happened ... 4/23/2016]

I had setup a new setlist in the USER area I'll call setlist A.  In one of the New Preset locations (02D) I imported Panama PV from the premade setlists.  After a while I decided to import a virgin "New Preset" I had exported just for this purpose back into the location I imported Panama PV into (02D).  Then I exported a patch (preset) from another setlist I had created in another user area (I'll call setlist B) keeping the file name the same as the preset [which is what it had defaulted to anyway] then imported it into 02D in setlist A.  It gave me an error of "improper format".  The preset name never came up in the Helix (the label said "New Preset*") even though the various blocks did import.  In the editor it just kept saying something to the effects of “Importing …†and never finished I did this three times and I even turned off the power in between the attempts.

Now I had done the complete reset via the buttons FS5 & FS6 while powering up when I had first updated the F/W using the 1.11 app then reload the setlist I had backed up from the previous version [app 1.08/ F/W 1.10.0].

So I went back and exported the same Patch from setlist B and named the file differently.  I then imported the file into setlist A 02D and it worked.

After this happened I did go ahead and power back up while holding down buttons FS10 & FS11 after this happened just to be safe but I had done that after I had upgraded as well as powering up holding the FS5 & FS6 buttons the first time like I mentioned.  However, I have not attempted to repeat this following rebuilding the presets again.

Dennis

And it does remind me of my first echoplex ... so I do like that feature. :lol:

Dennis

I have created three patches in which I used a pan>Y with a dist. pedal in the parallel path, returning to the main path in front of an amp. On 2 of them the panning did not change the path at the Y. On one of them it worked as expected. I could seethe panning change from left to right, as I rocked the pedal (pedal 2), but it did not route to different paths. I cannot identify anything different about the working and not working patches.

I'd be happy to email the patches to tech support.

I have created three patches in which I used a pan>Y with a dist. pedal in the parallel path, returning to the main path in front of an amp. On 2 of them the panning did not change the path at the Y. On one of them it worked as expected. I could seethe panning change from left to right, as I rocked the pedal (pedal 2), but it did not route to different paths. I cannot identify anything different about the working and not working patches.

I'd be happy to email the patches to tech support.

http://line6.com/support/topic/20072-pan-pedal-not-working-on-some-patches/?p=151194

Hello everyone! (and digital igloo in particular!) I'm fairly new here, so I hope that here was the best choice to ask this question,,,when I go to down load the updater "Line6Updater1.08Installer", I get this; "The signature of Line6Updaterv1.08 is corrupt or invalid",,,could someone please advise/walk me through to a solution? I really would like to be able to "update" to the latest firmware with the nice Matchless models, etc,,,thank you, any, and everyone!

Hello everyone! (and digital igloo in particular!) I'm fairly new here, so I hope that here was the best choice to ask this question,,,when I go to down load the updater "Line6Updater1.08Installer", I get this; "The signature of Line6Updaterv1.08 is corrupt or invalid",,,could someone please advise/walk me through to a solution? I really would like to be able to "update" to the latest firmware with the nice Matchless models, etc,,,thank you, any, and everyone!

Are you using a PC?  I have read and found that the latest version of IE in Windows 10 can create this issue.  I use Firefox with no issues.

Dennis

You may want to download the latest version of the Helix App installler, 1.11. Make sure you check the "Beta" checkbox on the right side of the Line6 download page. The Helix App installer will install the latest driver, Updater, and the Helix App/Editor. If you are still getting the message when you attempt the download you can use Firefox or Chrome as suggested or depending on your Microsoft IE or Edge version you may be able to click “More info†and select “Run anywayâ€.

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if this is a known issue, but I wasn't able to find it anywhere.

Bug
Toggling delay and/or reverb, both with trails on, causes a momentary volume drop (when switching on) and a momentary volume raise (when switching off). I recorded a sample to demonstrate this issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3f0KcDnY1EiV2tVaHN2LWVqcHM. It is actually a major show stopper for live gigging.

Steps

1. Install firmware 1.10.0
  2. Import this patch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3f0KcDnY1EiMWtsTjZIOExSRDg, or create one like so:
    1. Add amp+cab block (doesn't matter which).
    2. Add stereo ping pong delay after the amb+cab block.
    3. Add stereo cave reverb after the delay.
    4. Turn the trails on delay and reverb.
  3. Strum a string.
  4. Hit FS4 (if using the patch from the link) or simply toggle on and off the delay and/or reverb.

Expected

No volume changes.

Actual

Volume drop when switching on and volume raise when switching off. Both delay and reverb seem to be affected.

System

Helix Rack, firmware 1.10.0.

Legacy

Would love to see the bug on the expression pedal switch custom label on the scribble strip fixed in the upcoming firmware update.  It has not worked properly since the Helix's release. This is the bug where the pedal switch does not dim/bright properly on the custom label and stays in the same state for the first two initial presses.

Hi everyone,

Bug

Toggling delay and/or reverb, both with trails on, causes a volume drop (when switching on) and a volume raise (when switching off). I recorded a sample to demonstrate this issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3f0KcDnY1EiV2tVaHN2LWVqcHM. It is actually a major show stopper for live gigging.

Steps

2. Import this patch: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3f0KcDnY1EiMWtsTjZIOExSRDg, or create one like so:
  3. Strum a string.
  4. Hit FS4 (if using the patch from the link) or simply toggle on and off the delay and/or reverb.

Expected

No volume changes.

Actual

Volume drop when switching on and volume raise when switching off. Both delay and reverb seem to be affected.

System

Legacy

I don't have my Helix right in front of me right now, so I can't look at your tone, but if you have the mix on either or both the delay higher than 50%, the signal with those blocks turned on could very well be lower than with them off. The reason being that the mix past 50% starts lowering the volume of the dry signal down. This is different than the way the mix knobs works for the effects on the HD500.

I don't have my Helix right in front of me right now, so I can't look at your tone, but if you have the mix on either or both the delay higher than 50%, the signal with those blocks turned on could very well be lower than with them off. The reason being that the mix past 50% starts lowering the volume of the dry signal down. This is different than the way the mix knobs works for the effects on the HD500.

Hi Phil,

The mix on reverb is 30% and the delay 45%. It is the switching itself that causes peaks and valleys as you can hear or see on the waveform of the track I posted. I would expect a consistent volume difference if it was caused by the wet/dry ratio.

Hi everyone,

Bug

Toggling delay and/or reverb, both with trails on, causes a volume drop (when switching on) and a volume raise (when switching off). I recorded a sample to demonstrate this issue: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3f0KcDnY1EiV2tVaHN2LWVqcHM. It is actually a major show stopper for live gigging.

Steps

3. Strum a string.

Expected

No volume changes.

Actual

System

Legacy

It seems the switching could be smoother than it is right now. I tried this and when turning the effects on, I hear an apparent split-second of interruption. It sounds like the dry signal is dropping out and fading back in for that split-second. When turning the effects off though, that's kind of bad. Not smooth at all. In both cases, on and off, I hear the same thing as gavoja.

It seems the switching could be smoother than it is right now. I tried this and when turning the effects on, I hear an apparent split-second of interruption. It sounds like the dry signal is dropping out and fading back in for that split-second. When turning the effects off though, that's kind of bad. Not smooth at all. In both cases, on and off, I hear the same thing as gavoja.

I'm glad that you were able to reproduce it, thanks for the effort! When turning the effects off there's a peak, but only when the trails are on (in the preset they are). When they are off the behaviour is the same as when turning the effects on (a drop-out). That peak on gig volumes is pretty bad.

• 2 weeks later...

Noise Issue with Midi Amp Channel switching and Helix.

Bug

Some amps like Blackstar Series 1 or Marshall JVM and many others offers the ability to control channel selection only via MIDI Program change messages (CV Out not available).

Currently use a Blackstar S1 Amp 4CM and Helix Midi to switch amp real channels, but the problem is I get a big glitch noise when switching patches with Helix. It is actually a major show stopper for live gigging.

Steps

• Set one preset to change the real amp channel via Helix midi.

• Set other preset with other diferent amp channel via Helix midi.

• Play a chord changing between these two presets and enjoy the glitch noise.

Expected

No glitch noise changing amp channels via midi with presets (only a soft latency).

Actual

Big glitch noise changing amp channesl via midi with presets.

System

Helix , firmware 1.10.0.

Legacy

HD500 does not have this issue. The real amp channel switching does not have this issue.

Workaround

Change channels with footswitches inside a preset helps, but doesn't work without scenes (not availabes in Helix. Even if we need only two channels with different effects, we need to click on presets, because one FootSwitch can't change two midi program channels.

HELIX Editor  1.12  -  using delete key to delete a block 

A small thing: I don't know where to submit bug-reports or enhancement requests ( this none os somewhere between ) but among the new set of keyboard shortcuts I noticed that the programmer has assigned the DELETE key on Macs, NOT the BACKSPACE key to delete blocks. On MacBooks like mine - there is no DELETE key -and yes i know that **often** in an app the BACKSPACE key performs the same function as the DELETE key- but in HELIX Editor 1.12 this is not the case. 

For the time being though - for any macbook users out there who don't have a DELETE key, simply press "fn" and BACKSPACE and you will able to delete the block you have highlighted. 

( there is also a right-click contextual menu you can use )

To thee HELIX Editor programmers though- please amend the editor so that we can use BACKSPACE **or** DELETE key to delete blocks

There's a bug with the tuner output in firmware 1.12:

- Enter the tuner and set the output to "Multi"

- Restart Helix

- Now the clean signal is coming through all the time. I mean there is the processed signal but also the unprocessed, so that the clean guitar comes through. Happens on all patches.

If you enter the tuner and exit again then the unprocessed signal is gone.

I've noticed this on the Headphone output. Not sure if it happens on all outputs.

• Upvote 1

HELIX Editor   crash in v 1.12  

I was - i think - making changes in one patch - then double clicked on a different patch in the same setlist and  the app crashed. 

It **is** possible that i might have saved the patch being edited before double clicking on another but i forget. 

In any case here is the OSX Crash log in an enclosed file

HELIX Editor crashlog.rtf

So a few weeks ago my Helix presets were sounding strange, very weak, but after a day it all worked again.
today when I switched it on, they were sounding strange again, in another way. All distorted presets are very loud and trebly, and non-distorted ones are barely audible. but, here's the kicker, all sound from my computer is now distorted, songs that I play along with sound unmixed, like the sound is coming from inside of a coke can or something, no audible lyrics, drums super silent, guitars too loud etc. I tried updating the software, but it didn't help. I started a ticket so we'll see what tech support says.

My Editor did crash today on my mac not long after I had updated to 1.12

But to be fair I had kind of forgotten the editor was still connected to the Helix and used the Helix Preset button to scroll through about a million presets on different set lists in rapid succession.  When I went back to my mac it said "unable to communicate" I think.

(I am still using 10.9.5 by the way. lol)

Two bug reports I made to the Line 6 support center, the second making the editor unusable for me. Be cautious if you don't want to lose some time parameters in your presets!

Bug 1:

When we send a Program Change MIDI message to the Helix, the following behavior occurs:

- If we send a program change with value X and the preset X is not selected, preset X is selected (normal behavior)

- If we send a program change with value X and the preset X is already selected, preset 0 is selected: this is not normal, was not the case before the last firmware and has no sense. It should do nothing (or reload the current preset, but I would prefer like before, that it does nothing), but certainly not selecting preset 0!

Bug 2:

There's a bug with the timings in Helix editor. I have a preset with a controller (EXP pedal 2) changing the Time parameter of a Simple Delay from 596ms to 964ms. It works well, but:

- If Helix editor is open, it goes from 590ms to 960ms instead

- If I save the preset while Helix editor is open, I lose my values, they became theses rounded 590ms and 960ms values forever.

Hopefully we can get a fix soon?

Updated my helix to 1.12 last night. Tried to update the editor last night. In the past, the only way to update anything helix related, I have to completely uninstall anything to do with with helix. Then update the latest updater(?). Running Win7 64. Never had any problem once I get the all the updates in place.

So I got editor 1.12 to install this morning. Played with it a little bit. Then noticed the editor disconnected the helix and locked out the footswitches. Restarted the helix. Worked again for a bit then locked out the footswitches again. Any suggestions? Anyone else experience this. Like I said, I'm running Dell Windows 7 64 machine. Helix floorboard is 1.12 (as of last night). Editor is at 1.12(as of this morning). Last editor worked fine for me.

Thanks,

Danny.

Here is an interesting bug, I am now thinking that the "rebuilding preset #???" message on reboot is not so benign and needs to be addressed.

Firmware 1.12.0

Editor 1.12.0

Bug: Presets that have been saved to prevent the "rebuilding preset #" message when you boot the Helix can not only crash the editor when selected, they can also actually prevent the editor from starting up if the affected preset is already selected on the Helix when you try to start the Editor.

Test Procedure:

1. Save one of the presets causing the "rebuild preset" message upon boot such that it no longer appears on bootup.
  2. Restart the Helix.
  3. Select the preset that you "fixed" with a save.
  4. Now try to start the Helix Editor. The Helix Editor will not start at all if you have the "fixed" preset selected on the Helix when you try to start the Editor.
  5. Select any of your unaffected presets and then try to star the Editor and it will start right up.
  6. I also found that if you start the Helix editor successfully with any of your other presets, and then switch to one of the saved presets you were getting the "rebuild" message on, it will consistently crash the editor.
  7. I can also replicate the crashing editor issue by simply copying the "fixed" preset to any other preset location. If I select the newly saved preset the Editor will not start. If I start the editor on a working preset and switch to the copy of the problem preset it will crash the editor.

UPDATE: I noticed that if you modify any parameter on the "fixed" preset no matter how minutely and save it a second time. The Editor crashing behavior both on editor startup and when you switch to the preset is fixed. Se here is my conclusion.  There is a workaround for now but this is definitely a strange bug which I hope gets addressed.

Workaround: If you fix any of these presets affected by the "rebuilding..." message by saving them (which causes the rebuilding message to go away) make sure you edit at least one parameter on one of the blocks and save the preset again. It does not matter how small the change is. This will prevent the editor from either not starting or crashing when that preset is selected.

Here is the link for the Excel sheet that will help you find the setlist, bank, and footswitch that corresponds to the number you are seeing in the "rebuilding ..." message: http://line6.com/support/topic/20454-grid-for-getting-rid-of-the-preset-rebuild-messages-on-boot-in-latest-firmware-1120/?hl=grid

Sudden loss off high frequencies.

I have some issues with my  Helix floorboard. After playing for a couple of ours, it sometimes looses the high frequencies on all presets.

Reboot is the only solution.  I have had my Helix since mid januar and had the issue  8-10 times.

I have the Helix on the latest firmware, drivers etc,

Anyone else had this issue,

Btw. I am using the JTV 69 with jack cable. Have tried with the Vdi cable, but I dont think Helix likes that I am on Firmware 1.7... on the Jtv. Have tried

the latest Flash memory, but I am not ready for the Hd sounds just yet.

Sudden loss off high frequencies.

I have some issues with my Helix floorboard. After playing for a couple of ours, it sometimes looses the high frequencies on all presets.

Reboot is the only solution. I have had my Helix since mid januar and had the issue 8-10 times.

I have the Helix on the latest firmware, drivers etc,

Anyone else had this issue,

Btw. I am using the JTV 69 with jack cable. Have tried with the Vdi cable, but I dont think Helix likes that I am on Firmware 1.7... on the Jtv. Have tried

the latest Flash memory, but I am not ready for the Hd sounds just yet.