Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

hi, solved thanks

another issue for me :

after upgrade, EXP PEDAL is now only EXP1 (cmall screen above) but i need to switch between EXP1/EXP2

how/where can i change this ?

i have looked in global settings/ exp pedals but not found how

10x

i put a jack into input EXP PEDAL 2 , then away

the screen shows now EXP1/EXP2

But turn back to EXP1 only.... :(

it seems th hélix thinks i have an external exp pedal but i don't

Are you running the 2.10 firmware? This was a known issue with the 2.10 firmware but was fixed with 2.11.

Last update completely messed up my patches using multiple blocks assigned to a footswitch and it seems totally erratic.

Basically it happens that multiple blocks goes OFF when I click a different footswitch, like 2 reverbs going off when I click off on a Delay footswitch, and viceversa.

Reliability on these updates is going worse than better. Never had all these problems with old firmware.

Wow; here's a surprise.

Helix Rack/Control running firmware 2.11 - zero issues with installing (aside from the persistent issues with created function switches LED status, and auto-engage functions 'flipped' from how I had them set up initially when importing/re-building after firmware update).

Auto-engage wah I've set up on EXP1 is still jumping to 1% and thereby activating on its own randomly.

I previously eliminated the wah block and re-added a wah to auto-engage afterward - same behaviour; it comes on itself randomly.

Perplexing this would still be here.

• Upvote 1

Wow; here's a surprise.

Helix Rack/Control running firmware 2.11 - zero issues with installing (aside from the persistent issues with created function switches LED status, and auto-engage functions 'flipped' from how I had them set up initially when importing/re-building after firmware update).

Auto-engage wah I've set up on EXP1 is still jumping to 1% and thereby activating on its own randomly.

I previously eliminated the wah block and re-added a wah to auto-engage afterward - same behaviour; it comes on itself randomly.

Perplexing this would still be here.

I know this is less than an ideal solution and it concerns me that this bug with the pedal jumping to 1% keeps popping up in multiple contexts, but I was wondering if in the meantime as a workaround if you can set the 'Position' parameter for the auto-engage to 2% or 3% to prevent the wah from engaging incorrectly.

The issue presented there is in how I set this up; in order to remain intuitive for me and my long-time reliance on the toe switches of various FBV/etc controllers, I prefer to have OFF set as parked at 100% - unfortunately that would disagree with the persistent position-jumping error.

In this case, I will continue to leave my main patches' on/off controller as the toe-switch (I use the Mission Helix-specific EXP with the toe switch).

Thanks for the idea; if I decided that I just had to use it 'auto' style, that's what I would do. I'd even consider one of the spring add-ons in order to let the pedal relax to heel-down on its own.

I feel confident it's a software issue which can be addressed.

The spring - apparently Mission (whose expression pedals I use with Helix Control) has an optional spring that can be added to their expression pedal line in order to pop them back to extreme position ('off' I guess is the intention) - I believe this is similar to how some Morley (and probably other) wah pedals work.

BUG: 

The parameter "Spread" does not work on the block "reverse delay". 

Some say that it works when the modulation is turned on. I dont have my Helix near to check, but i know that it doesnt work when "Mode" is "Off" 

How would you expect it to work without modulation? If you have the same delay time for both sides, what difference would you expect to hear from the left and right sides?

How would you expect it to work without modulation? If you have the same delay time for both sides, what difference would you expect to hear from the left and right sides?

I suspect what he might be thinking is to simply (or maybe it's not so simple) add a scale parameter to the reverse delay.

I had a small unexpected issue copying factory presets to user setlist 3 on the floor unit, no editor. After running through setlists 1+2 and individually coping favourites to setlist 3, I went to play through the setlist 3 versions and all the presets sounded corrupted incomplete and poor, looked ok on the display. After a reboot they all sounded good as meant.

I had a small unexpected issue copying factory presets to user setlist 3 on the floor unit, no editor. After running through setlists 1+2 and individually coping favourites to setlist 3, I went to play through the setlist 3 versions and all the presets sounded corrupted incomplete and poor, looked ok on the display. After a reboot they all sounded good as meant.

I have noticed after any load of presets to the Helix the next reboot always displays a message showing the presets rebuilding. Before editing a freshly loaded preset or investigating to make sure it is working properly I think it is best practice to restart the Helix first. Whether it is restoring your backups,  loading something from CustomTone, or a custom preset pack you have purchased, you need to allow the rebuild process to complete by restarting the Helix.

I have noticed after any load of presets to the Helix the next reboot always displays a message showing the presets rebuilding. Before editing a freshly loaded preset or investigating to make sure it is working properly I think it is best practice to restart the Helix first. Whether it is restoring your backups,  loading something from CustomTone, or a custom preset pack you have purchased, you need to allow the rebuild process to complete by restarting the Helix.

...also reboot the Helix after doing any file management (changing order of presets, deleting presets, as well as adding presets). 

Maybe reported:

If you simultaneously change a parameter on the Helix while changeing a parameter on the desktop app (OSX) both things gank.

The desktop app is hung.

The Helix still passes signal through the current chain as-is but doesn't respond to any buttons or changes.

Restarting the desktop app does not fix, it fails to reconnect to the Helix.

Just bought my Helix two days ago. Love it. Merry Christmas to me :)

I am new to Helix and I have some issues that need attention. I have completed all the new updates and started over in programing all patches.

I am getting a constant issue when placing a WAH pedal in the patch. I place a WAH pedal and try and manipulate the frequency hi and frequency low and the "editor freezes and the Helix freezes. I have to power the hole thing down.

This is not a issue in live play but is since you have to power down and the patch you are working on is deleted and have to start over.

Happy New Year all!!!

I have a possible bug report on a new unit, that was purchased on Dec.19th and upgraded to 2.11 immediately.

Scenario:

I was plugged into the Aux input (Since I'm using an active pickup) while using the headphones and while I was adjusting patch parameters on the EQ (10-band graphic) of a previously saved patch, the sound all of a sudden dropped down to nothing.

I thought I had hit the volume pedal or something but that wasn't the case.

The sound wouldn't return to normal until I switched to another patch and back to the patch I was working on. This behavior was recreated twice following the same steps and happens unexpectedly.

I will continue to test using the same steps to see if it happens while using the regular guitar input and going through my presonus SL312AI speakers. But thought I would mention it here, in the event other are experiencing the same issue.

Best regards.

Not sure if this is coincidence or not...

After updating to 2.11, I also changed all of my volume blocks in all of my presets to EXP2 (default) to take advantage of the automatic volume/wah switching. Before, I had all my volumes assigned to EXP1 because I assumed that was default, but EXP2 is default. 

Anyway... I have not experienced the volume block dropping randomly to 1% any more. I don't think that the issue was fixed with 2.11, but I could be wrong. Maybe now that they are set to EXP2, they are not dropping. Just thinking out loud on the keyboard...

I don't know if this has been reported yet. Could some other folks please confirm this. Thanks!

Firmware: 2.11

Bug: The 'Send 3/4' selection does not appear in the 2.11 Editor on the 'Output' block. It is available for selection from the 'Output' block on the Helix itself.

I don't know if this has been reported yet. Could some other folks please confirm this. Thanks!

Bug: The 'Send 3/4' selection does not appear in the 2.11 Editor on the 'Output' block. It is available for selection from the 'Output' block on the Helix itself.

I can confirm that on Win10. It appears on helix itself but not in the editor.

I can confirm that on Win10. It appears on helix itself but not in the editor.

Thanks for checking!

Updated to 2.11 on Helix Editor and Firmware.  

My biggest problem continues to be maintaining a stable connection to my iMac running 10.12 Sierra.  Before the update,  both my MacAir Laptop (on Sierra) and my  iMac (Sierra) would not stay connected.  USB would routinely disconnect.  

Now after the update, my MacAir seems stably connected.  The iMac though will not stay connected.  Only significant difference I see is that the laptop has USB 3.0 and the iMac has 2.0

Line 6 support want me to take my Helix to a service center....implying hardware.  However, many others have this disconnect problem, and now a software updated changed the behavior on my systems.  Seems like a software bug to me.  

Some information to add to what's come before regarding EXP1 dropping to 1-2% on its own:

I'm using Helix Rack & Control - and I've continued to experience the EXP1 value random drop (which for me has made auto-engage with EXP1 unusable).

Last evening I did the firmware update, going from v2.11.0 to v2.12.0

Backups went fine (though, again, I wish the character restrictions for file names were being kept in mind for Factory Preset names - I back up both setlists AND individual presets for double-security, and there are several presets in the last few versions which use the ":" plus one "?" - and since the system uses the preset name as the filename for export, those are illegal file system characters, and hence the backups falter and stop as soon as they hit one of those - keep an eye out for that.

BTW: to address this, I used the editor to rename those presets before exporting, substituting '-' in place of the colon characters, and doing this unveiled a strange editor renaming bug which sometimes blanked the name to 'new preset,' and other times seemed to randomly paste in other preset names (without me using any keyboard shortcuts etc). In all cases, I was simply typing in or editing the name, and hitting 'enter' - got this mixed bag of results. Maddening.)

So, I put in v2.12.0 - went very smoothly, and I did all required resets etc. etc. and even gave things a couple extra chances to do rebuilds on re-set (only needed the one extra time after I put my setlists in place).  All good.

I never leave my Helix connected via USB during everyday use; only for backups/updates/housekeeping.

I was busy doing a guitar over-haul in between all this, so I left Helix parked on one of my few auto-engage wah presets to just sit there and wait for me to be ready to play - this way, I'd soon see if the value would jump down to engage it.

Another BTW: as before, ALL (very few, just tests but still...) of my auto-engage wah patches again had the bypass/position relationship flipped around and required me to re-set that and re-save.

Ditto my various multifunction switch assignments and the LED status being flipped yet again - maddening to have to do housekeeping on ALL of these (a great many of these for me).

Helix stayed parked waiting for ... probably about 40 minutes - no value jump on EXP1 therefore no unexpected auto-engage wah.

SO I started play testing, and as before on that simple auto-wah patch and stayed there a little while, marvelling at the fact that the wah wasn't auto-engaging.

I switched presets, and got a poor sound - OH NO - then soon realized I'd forgotten to import my 3 IRs (yup, just 3 to date) and some of my main presets rely on one of these, this one included.

So I hooked back up to USB and used the editor to pop them into place.

Boom, all good.

I went back to playing.

OH NO - wah came on by itself...

Immediately noted settings, and deleted the block and re-added.

Before I even started playing again, it came on by itself.

Previously, I could re-set by moving it and parking it again, and it would generally go quite a while without jumping... now, however, it was relentlessly coming back on.

What?!

... then I realized; I'd left the USB connected, which of course should never be a problem. However, this does add a data point to consider.

I unplugged again, and carried on playing some more.

*knock on wood* EXP1 didn't auto-engage again for the rest of the time I was playing.

Admittedly, that wasn't a super-long session at that point, as it was very late... but it was certainly VERY different behaviour as compared to when the USB connection to the computer was live.

I have a feeling this could at least give a pointer as to what sorts of events within Helix which might trigger the EXP1 drop.

Also of note; sifting back through some presets I've had going back to my first experiments with Helix, I noted that my wahs were almost all saved with a position value of either 1 or 2% - I think that suggests that the EXP1 drop behaviour goes way back. I wasn't experiencing a problem with it because I use the toe-switch function to turn wah or other EXP1-assigned functions on and off.

I always save at 100% position initially to keep it close to toe-switch-on - however, upon re-saving after edits, I imagine those were jumping down to 1 or 2%, and that would be reflected when I'd re-save...

Data for the EXP1 pool, as well as my first real comments about Editor (which I only use for backup/restore housekeeping otherwise - I do all preset building etc. on Helix itself).

(Excuse long-winded explanations...)

• Upvote 1

Further to above; last evening I did some more playing/testing - although leaving the patch on didn't seem to demonstrate the EXP1 value drop, once I was playing and moved from one patch to another and back, the wah in my patch did unfortunately engage itself.

Just to clarify; there's no physical movement of the pedal - no earth-shaking volume (quite the contrary; late-night quiet volumes to be sure) and the value saved to the preset is 100%, which for my settings is OFF.

Checking the position parameter does indeed show 1% - sometimes 2%, and I've even observed this value going from one to the other before my eyes.

If I want to use auto-engage, I'll have to move the duties over to EXP3 (I only use 2 expression pedals with Helix Control currently, so I have that option, and thus far I see no signs of EXP value jumps on either #2 or #3 for myself or any other reports that I'm aware of to date *knock on wood*

But I've wanted to add the 3rd EXP to do some more transitional functions, and this will prevent me from doing so until it's ironed out.

Several users have noticed a bug with the v2.12 update process (see http://line6.com/support/topic/25057-212-snapshots-losing-variax-model-selections/)

Data is being lost during the update. Any preset that uses a snapshot controller for selecting different Variax models among snapshots is losing the model value during the update process. After updating, the preset still shows that the Variax Model parameter is assigned to the snapshot controller, however all snapshot values are reset to [Don't Force]. Previous model selections in the snapshots are lost.

Several users have noticed a bug with the v2.12 update process (see http://line6.com/support/topic/25057-212-snapshots-losing-variax-model-selections/)

Data is being lost during the update. Any preset that uses a snapshot controller for selecting different Variax models among snapshots is losing the model value during the update process. After updating, the preset still shows that the Variax Model parameter is assigned to the snapshot controller, however all snapshot values are reset to [Don't Force]. Previous model selections in the snapshots are lost.

I have seen this problem across presets in every firmware version. Once you set the 'Variax Setttings' parameter back to 'Per Preset' on the Input block, every Variax preset regains its model and custom tuning. Even though this parameter is set within a preset it acts like a global setting and affects all other Variax presets. Does doing this not help with getting the proper settings back in presets with Variax snapshots?

I have seen this problem across presets in every firmware version. Once you set the 'Variax Setttings' parameter back to 'Per Preset' on the Input block, every Variax preset regains its model and custom tuning. Even though this parameter is set within a preset it acts like a global setting and affects all other Variax presets. Does doing this not help with getting the proper settings back in presets with Variax snapshots?

Nope. That was my first thought too but doesn't help with this issue.

I am also having trouble with 2.12 snapshots losing my variax model selections.  All of my patches that used snapshots and changed variax models were set back to [Don't Force] in the variax model selector option.  On patches that did not use snapshots my variax model selections transferred fine.  I went back and forth, installing 2.12 and reverting back to 2.10, several times but the same issue occurs every time.  Previously, with all other updates, I have never had any issues at all, so I'd like to think it wasn't user error!  :)