Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

You probably wound't consider this a bug it is some i really think you need to change: 

in the Harmony delay the settings for "Voice Shift" doesn't make any sense in a musical way. 

Since no shift is labeled "0" you end up with "1" meaning the interval of a 2nd and "2" meaning a 3rd and so-on. 4 is a 5th. 

Well, of course i can learn that this is the case, but it would be better to give the values: Unison, 2nd, 3rd, 4th. 

I think as is, the number of steps up the scale, is fine. For instance with the minor pentatonic option set to +1, when you play the root you get the second note of the scale, a minor third, when you play the second note of the scale (the minor 3rd) you get a major second interval, perfect 4th from the root. I don't really see with the various options how they could label it differently. Similarly with the harmonic minor, set to +1, root note gives a major 2nd, 2nd note gives a minor 2nd, 6th note gives a minor 3rd.

Backed up my setlists, did the 2.10 update then re-loaded my setlists.  First time through, several presets got wiped completely.  I reloaded them and presets appeared in their place, but they are the wrong ones - it's like the presets and names got scrambled, so the right names show up in the right places, but the amp/effect blocks are all wrong.

• Upvote 1

Backed up my setlists, did the 2.10 update then re-loaded my setlists.  First time through, several presets got wiped completely.  I reloaded them and presets appeared in their place, but they are the wrong ones - it's like the presets and names got scrambled, so the right names show up in the right places, but the amp/effect blocks are all wrong.

Are you using the latest version of the editor (2.10)?

Did you do the global reset (FS 9&10 on the floor version) before loading your presets?

vintage digital delay (mono or stereo) placed after amp when I pick strings with energy I hear a click on the attack of repetitions of the delay in my headphone.

if the bit depth is 16 or 24 there is no click.

it happens on fast attack transient note more evident if I pluck the string.

I don't remember if it was the same before 2.10 update.

the other types of delays haven't this issue

vintage digital delay (mono or stereo) placed after amp when I pick strings with energy I hear a click on the attack of repetitions of the delay in my headphone.

if the bit depth is 16 or 24 there is no click.

it happens on fast attack transient note more evident if I pluck the string.

I don't remember if it was the same before 2.10 update.

the other types of delays haven't this issue

The "headroom" parameter was added to this effect in the 2.10 update to deal with this. If you hear clicking, you're clipping the block. Turn the headroom parameter up to make it go away.

If this is in a preset you made prior to the 2.10 update, you'll have to delete the block and re-insert in order for this parameter to show up.

• Upvote 1

I did factory restore before doing the update. Flawless update and all of my imported patches/setlists came in perfectly. 

Hard to believe I'm just noticing this now;

Helix Rack/Control, firmware 2.10

(As an aside; I'm experiencing the EXP1 jump to 1% issue - even after removing the troublesome block and re-adding it fresh.)

Now this; regardless of how I have the global Snapshot setting (recall/discard - I'm normally on discard so that I can go directly back to the saved state of the Snapshot in one footswitch step) my non-Snapshot controlled parameter edits won't revert to their saved state unless I go off of, and back onto that preset.

Saving this out as a copy in that condition seems to leave it in that condition - parameters aren't changing on Snapshot selection.

I made changes which would be obvious audibly as well, in case it was the display that was failing to update - but, nothing changes audibly either.

Correction; if I clear the assignments, and re-apply, it appears to work once, then fails - I'm having some troubling pin-pointing the exact patterns here, so I'll update as I go along.

I'm hoping someone can take a test patch and mess around with it and the Global setting for Snapshots and see what you find.

This is a new preset I created, an extremely simple path, and it was 'born' to fw 2.10 - so I've seen this oddness on both re-imported patches 'born' in previous firmware versions, and newly created onesl.

I'm half-asleep as I type this, so I'll add any further details I find.

Any further observations by others welcomed and encouraged.

I think as is, the number of steps up the scale, is fine. For instance with the minor pentatonic option set to +1, when you play the root you get the second note of the scale, a minor third, when you play the second note of the scale (the minor 3rd) you get a major second interval, perfect 4th from the root. I don't really see with the various options how they could label it differently. Similarly with the harmonic minor, set to +1, root note gives a major 2nd, 2nd note gives a minor 2nd, 6th note gives a minor 3rd.

Yeah... I hadn't thought of the case with the pentatonic scale, but in the case of harmonic minor the interval from b6 to 7 is actually an augmented 2nd and not a minor 3rd. They sound the same but in theory it is still the interval of a 2nd. 

Yeah... I hadn't thought of the case with the pentatonic scale, but in the case of harmonic minor the interval from b6 to 7 is actually an augmented 2nd and not a minor 3rd. They sound the same but in theory it is still the interval of a 2nd.

Good point

There seems to be a number issues, random volume drop & expression 1/expression 2 pedal assignment issues, I have to assign Wah & Volume to EXP 1 only and bypass one or the other to the same EXP1 and it causes issues with old presets too of course.

Are Line 6 considering a new update to rectify known issues? I'm reverting back to 2.01, as I've never had problems till now!

(As an aside; I'm experiencing the EXP1 jump to 1% issue - even after removing the troublesome block and re-adding it fresh.)

Now this; regardless of how I have the global Snapshot setting (recall/discard - I'm normally on discard so that I can go directly back to the saved state of the Snapshot in one footswitch step) my non-Snapshot controlled parameter edits won't revert to their saved state unless I go off of, and back onto that preset.

Saving this out as a copy in that condition seems to leave it in that condition - parameters aren't changing on Snapshot selection.

I made changes which would be obvious audibly as well, in case it was the display that was failing to update - but, nothing changes audibly either.

Correction; if I clear the assignments, and re-apply, it appears to work once, then fails - I'm having some troubling pin-pointing the exact patterns here, so I'll update as I go along.

I'm hoping someone can take a test patch and mess around with it and the Global setting for Snapshots and see what you find.

This is a new preset I created, an extremely simple path, and it was 'born' to fw 2.10 - so I've seen this oddness on both re-imported patches 'born' in previous firmware versions, and newly created onesl.

I'm half-asleep as I type this, so I'll add any further details I find.

Trying to follow. You said NON-SNAPSHOT parameters? I believe pressing a snapshot only changes the snapshot enabled parameters, seems normal.

For example, if i create a patch with multiple snaps, then i change Amp channel volume, (non snap), it will stay regardless of snap selection. Its a good thing. If i want to revert i need to reselect the preset.

if i remember, snapshots only change the enabled parameters, up to 64. It does not recall entire state of preset.

Trying to follow. You said NON-SNAPSHOT parameters? I believe pressing a snapshot only changes the snapshot enabled parameters, seems normal.

For example, if i create a patch with multiple snaps, then i change Amp channel volume, (non snap), it will stay regardless of snap selection. Its a good thing. If i want to revert i need to reselect the preset.

if i remember, snapshots only change the enabled parameters, up to 64. It does not recall entire state of preset.

This is a new preset I created, an extremely simple path, and it was 'born' to fw 2.10 - so I've seen this oddness on both re-imported patches 'born' in previous firmware versions, and newly created onesl.

I'm half-asleep as I type this, so I'll add any further details I find.

I am on the floor Helix and I believe you are correct. For example, bypassing a block in 'Recall' mode and then selecting alternate snapshots does not reliably leave the block bypassed as you cycle through the snapshots. The bypassed block reverts back to activated when it should stay bypassed until you change it or until you switch away from the preset and come back.

Yes, as above; it's really squirrely and hard to pin down - there are many times when the Snapshot-controlled parameters actually stop changing, and it all seems to tie to making non-Snapshot edits along with anything else.

... again; regardless of how the Global Snapshot setting is toggled.

The bypass state inconsistency is new data on this, also.

I was looking at this all again, and having the same continued issues.

And I realized why I hadn't seen it for several days; for the most part, I was either working with my existing presets / Snapshot settings, or I was making single-purpose stripped down patches just to absorb the new amp models. As a result, I hadn't begun expanding into a new built Snapshot (or edited a previous one) in a while.

Now I'm hoping I didn't accidentally alter any of my others and save the result without noticing this inconsistent behaviour first.

Not knowing how long a 'hot-fix' release might take, I'm right on the verge of sitting down with pad and pen, making notes on some of my recent tests/edits/etc, and then rolling back to 2.01 for the moment.

... I hesitate because I strongly suspect that Line 6 will soon drop the fix, and also, I'm enjoying the new amps a lot.

Thanks Fulcrum, fido083 and HonestOpinion for the additional input. I definitely have spent a lot of time second-guessing myself on this... but in all, I know that the process of working with a preset enhanced with the use of Snapshots was different and predictable prior to fw 2.10.

I am on the floor Helix and I believe you are correct. For example, bypassing a block in 'Recall' mode and then selecting alternate snapshots does not reliably leave the block bypassed as you cycle through the snapshots. The bypassed block reverts back to activated when it should stay bypassed until you change it or until you switch away from the preset and come back.

Just to clarify, you're saying if you bypass the block in, say Snapshot 1, and leave that for Snapshot 2, and come back to Snapshot 1, the block is longer bypassed? Because bypassing the block while in Snapshot 1 will set that block to be bypassed in that Snapshot, not all of them, even if the Snapshots Edit parameter is set to recall.

I personally have not had any issues with this, and I've set up a bunch of presets with snapshots after the 2.10 update. I'm kind of wondering if this isn't a misunderstanding of the expected behavior.

Also, note, that if you have a block set to auto-engage via an expression pedal, and have the EXP Position parameter for that pedal set to anything but "per snapshot", that can lead to unexpected bypass behavior in snapshots. It can also lead to parameters tied to the expression pedals not being at the values saved with the specific snapshots. The position of the pedal will override the bypass state in the snapshot in that case.

Just to clarify, you're saying if you bypass the block in, say Snapshot 1, and leave that for Snapshot 2, and come back to Snapshot 1, the block is longer bypassed? Because bypassing the block while in Snapshot 1 will set that block to be bypassed in that Snapshot, not all of them, even if the Snapshots Edit parameter is set to recall.

I personally have not had any issues with this, and I've set up a bunch of presets with snapshots after the 2.10 update. I'm kind of wondering if this isn't a misunderstanding of the expected behavior.

Also, note, that if you have a block set to auto-engage via an expression pedal, and have the EXP Position parameter for that pedal set to anything but "per snapshot", that can lead to unexpected bypass behavior in snapshots. It can also lead to parameters tied to the expression pedals not being at the values saved with the specific snapshots. The position of the pedal will override the bypass state in the snapshot in that case.

Phil_m you are absolutely correct. Had a temporary moment of confusion on snapshot operation even though I seem to have fully understood its operation for months now.  Chock if up to not enough coffee this morning. I don't see anything wrong with the behavior here. When you have 'Recall' set for instance on a snapshot that ordinarily has a distortion block activated, if you then bypass the distortion block, switch away from that snapshot, the distortion block will reflect whatever you last saved in that subsequently selected snapshot, not necessarily the state of the distortion you temporarily bypassed in the last selected snapshot. The difference in 'Recall' mode is that when you go back to your originally selected snapshot, the distortion will still be bypassed. Alternatively, if you had 'Discard' selected, returning to your original snapshot would now show the Distortion activated (its normal state in that snapshot in the example given). The Helix is acting as designed as far as I can see. I had to reread the text on pg. 38 of the manual.

... Yes, strangely enough, I may have gotten myself turned around on this point - not sure how.

I just sat down and took a copy of a non-SS preset framework, and just started working on creating some SS variations; seems like my habits were just off-kilter that evening.

(In my defense, I'd been up FAR too many hours straight by the time I posted that.)

I think I've got my head screwed back on here - now if I could just start using the auto-engage features and such without the EXP1 jumping down to 1%, I think I'd be back on track.

I get the feeling I´m a bug tester!

This is all happening with saved presets from the earlier firmware!

• Random on and off of effects.
  • Some effects not working at all, but when I move them around, lets say to the lower chain it starts working.
  • A lot clearer signal when attaching the upper chain to the lower, with no added effects!

I guess I have to go through all effects I made and recreate them to get them working!

D

Update.. the bug disappears if you go to snapshots mode then back to stomp mode. But if you switch patches while in stomp mode then turn on/off the switches the bug reappears. Then you go to snapshots mode then back to stomp mode then it works fine again.

Is the Cab Block's Mic selection knob 1's press to reset to default value function not behaving correctly? See symptom post here: http://line6.com/support/topic/24493-cab-blocks-knob-1-press-to-reset-behavoir/

Update: The linked thread is active with other users also finding the same results, and also similar behavior with some another model's parameters (Mesa EQ)!

If posting in this Bug thread is sufficient for Tech Support, then I won't open a Support Ticket. Otherwise, I certainly can open a Ticket.

Does Tech Support harvest bugs from this thread?

[Addendum: Support Ticket submitted: Thr, Dec 15]

hi,

i've just updated hélix editor 2.10.

made reset of my hélix + import my presets

hélix is working well but hélix editor doesn't show the part on the right with effects editor anymore.

can you help me please

Sounds like the editor didn't update correctly. If you're on a PC uninstall what's there and re-install the latest editor.

hi,

i've just updated hélix editor 2.10.

made reset of my hélix + import my presets

hélix is working well but hélix editor doesn't show the part on the right with effects editor anymore.

can you help me please

I agree with PeterHamm's post about install and re-install of the Editor. Have you updated your firmware to 2.10 as well as the Editor?

Same here.

Since i started the update 2.11 there's a thin blue stripe in my screen of the Helix in the middle from top to bottom.

And it won't seem to go away. Did already multibable restarts of the Helix.

Not that disturbing, all functionalities seem to be working fine, but can anyone help?

post-107988-0-35338300-1481974440_thumb.jpg

Since i started the update 2.11 there's a thin blue stripe in my screen of the Helix in the middle from top to bottom.

Not that disturbing, all functionalities seem to be working fine, but can anyone help?

Is this only happening during the boot sequence? My first thought if it is would be to reflash the firmware. If reflashing the firmware does not help and especially If it is happening all the time and not just during the boot, then it may be time to open a ticket with Line6 customer support.

Is this only happening during the boot sequence? My first thought if it is would be to reflash the firmware. If reflashing the firmware does not help and especially If it is happening all the time and not just during the boot, then it may be time to open a ticket with Line6 customer support.

No, not only during the start-up. The stripe remains.....

Already did a re-firmware-upgrade 2.11, but that didn't help.

Thx for your advice for opening a ticket.

Hate to say it, but that's most likely a hardware issue. Dead pixels sometimes happen on LCD screens like this.

Helix Rack/Control with current newest firmware 2.11

- As with previous updates; grouped functions on a stomp switch tend to display an unintended LED status - whereas my presets, for instance, would have an LED OFF as default to the preset, after updating/re-importing/re-building, these functions switches often show the opposite status.

This appears to happen primarily on 'maxed-out' (8-function) switches.

There's a touch/arrive at LED status desired, then re-save workaround... but this is a LOT of presets for me.

- Auto-engage function on EXP - I had left a few auto-engage wah blocks across a few test presets (not widespread in my presets due to the auto-on issues) - I change the defaults so that the wah is OFF at toe-down position, and comes ON when lowering toward heel-down (off at 100%, on at 99% and below).

After updating/re-importing/re-building, these wahs' behaviour had flipped back to the default.

The blocks were OFF as intended when calling up the preset. However, moving the EXP pedal to engage the wah did so, but only at 100%; at 99% and below, the block disengaged.

So the percentile parameters I input remained, but the Bypass State selection set from within the parameters screen appears to be ignored on re-import.

I had to go back into each of these and re-set the bypass state, and then re-save as a work-around.