Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

When will we see new models and firmware for helix??

MarkJarvis

When will we see new models and firmware for helix??...

Its been way too quiet..are we at the end of the line for new models?

The Helix team's energy has been focused on Native, in case you missed it...  :)

Not at the end of updates by any means. New stuff coming relatively soon.

• Upvote 1

I've said this here before. The last update didn't hold much interest for me.  Even though I'm also a bassist, I've never used my Helix for bass. That and the nerve wracking process of updating makes me think twice before doing it.  I'm very very happy with the sounds I get now and do not look forward to anymore tweaking. The update has to offer up some very intriguing new capabilities before I'm gonna do it. I am more than content with the current collection of amp models so if it's just going to be more of those, I'm staying put.  

The Helix's consistency is what allows me to just concentrate on playing. I think that sometimes an update tends to jeopardize that consistency.

For me personally, I hear AXFX and Kemper models and wonder home come we dont have as much selection...

Consider how much longer Fractal (AxFX) and Kemper have been around compared to the Helix and you might stop wondering.

• Upvote 2

The Helix's consistency is allows me to just concentrate on playing. I think that sometimes an update tends to jeopardize that consistency.

This is really important to us. There are a lot of features we just won't do—or at least won't do in the way people expect—because it'd mess with existing workflows and force people to program around it. For example, even though Snapshots are an incredibly deep and powerful feature, aside from a new camera icon on the screen and a couple of global parameters, you'd never know they were there. Almost everything is hidden behind shortcuts.

• Upvote 2

For me personally, I hear AXFX and Kemper models and wonder home come we dont have as much selection...

Well, there's a lot of overlap with Fractal's models, but, hey, if you want over 200 amp models, just buy a Fractal product. I don't think Line 6 has the same sort of goals as far as the sheer number of amp models for the Helix. As far as Kemper, that's a different ballgame. With profiling, there's really no limit to number of available profiles since they can be user-created.

Each product has different philosophies as to what they're doing, and they're all doing their own thing, as they should. It's actually better that way. What good would it be if they were all copying each other? How boring would that be?

• Upvote 4

This is really important to us. There are a lot of features we just won't do—or at least won't do in the way people expect—because it'd mess with existing workflows and force people to program around it. For example, even though Snapshots are an incredibly deep and powerful feature, aside from a new camera icon on the screen and a couple of global parameters, you'd never know they were there. Almost everything is hidden behind shortcuts.

With that in mind, I wish there was some way that IdeaScale could give feedback on the feasibility of an idea via percentage points.  I realize that this might be asking a lot but it might cut down on the unreasonable requests... maybe.  I also realize that for every idea that seems unfeasible, there might be one person in the dev team who might ask, "Hey, what if we...?" 

I also realize that for every idea that seems unfeasible, there might be one person in the dev team who might ask, "Hey, what if we...?" 

I'll pop in on occasion and explain why something may or may not be feasible, but you're right—an unfeasible idea may trigger something cool. :)

• Upvote 1

I seriously doubt it. Mostly, it would give the chronically unsatisfied something else to whine about.

"WHY does every idea I suggest have only an 11% feasibility rating?" ;)

Bwahaha!  You're right of course.

Well, there's a lot of overlap with Fractal's models, but, hey, if you want over 200 amp models, just buy a Fractal product. I don't think Line 6 has the same sort of goals as far as the sheer number of amp models for the Helix. As far as Kemper, that's a different ballgame. With profiling, there's really no limit to number of available profiles since they can be user-created.

Each product has different philosophies as to what they're doing, and they're all doing their own thing, as they should. It's actually better that way. What good would it be if they were all copying each other? How boring would that be?

I think there are far more issues of importance other than more, more, more. I welcome the new amps and fx, but there is just tooooo much that Helix needs.  Also, there is also plenty of overlap with Helix.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The next iteration(s) of Helix series 2 firmware should have some nice additions. If I recall correctly, DI has already mentioned that there are 5 Amps and 7 FX forthcoming in 2.30, with more to follow.... By the time Helix Core (firmware) 3.0 arrives (perhaps later this year), we are certain to be enjoying big grins.

• Upvote 1

I am not as concerned with quantity as much as quality. My only real disappointment so far are the reverbs. First, yes they are usable but could be much better. Especially the spring reverbs. Fractal and  Kemper are better here  But I have never liked the reverbs on any Line 6 product including pedals. The current have improved over the past. 

I am not as concerned with quantity as much as quality. My only real disappointment so far are the reverbs. First, yes they are usable but could be much better. Especially the spring reverbs. Fractal and  Kemper are better here  But I have never liked the reverbs on any Line 6 product including pedals. The current have improved over the past.

Amen to this, new and improved reverbs please!!!

The next iteration(s) of Helix series 2 firmware should have some nice additions. If I recall correctly, DI has already mentioned that there are 5 Amps and 7 FX forthcoming in 2.30, with more to follow.... By the time Helix Core (firmware) 3.0 arrives (perhaps later this year), we are certain to be enjoying big grins.

Is this true dear DI???

Yum!

The amp list is plentiful. Have you SEEN the filter effects lately? At least we have all the reverbs from the HD!

I`m sorry to disagree but many users consider that the amp list is not plentiful like you have stated. As seen on Ideascale, there are many upvotes regarding both clean and high gain amps to be added, as well as the need for better reverbs with HX quality... I`d love to have a Diezel VH4 and a Randall Satan at least before they shut down the amp modeling process... I`d also like a Boss HM-2 for the classic Swedish death metal sound and a decent phaser like the Small Stone or Boss PH-1. Filters are lacking as well, I agree. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The amp list is plentiful. Have you SEEN the filter effects lately? At least we have all the reverbs from the HD!

I agree. The effects need work. Would like to see an LFO and ADSR included as modulation control sources. Dedicated mono versions of stereo effects would be great too.this last item wouldn't be necessary if the stereo effects summed to mono properly. Alas, they don't. As far as overall guitar sound though, I'm happy as a clam.

I`m sorry to disagree but many users consider that the amp list is not plentiful like you have stated. As seen on Ideascale, there are many upvotes regarding both clean and high gain amps to be added, as well as the need for better reverbs with HX quality... I`d love to have a Diezel VH4 and a Randall Satan at least before they shut down the amp modeling process... I`d also like a Boss HM-2 for the classic Swedish death metal sound and a decent phaser like the Small Stone or Boss PH-1. Filters are lacking as well, I agree.

If you compare the list of amp models to the list of filter effects, plentiful seems like a fitting word. Not trying to argue, but different strokes for different folks. I am in no way saying L6 needs to ease up in the Amps department. After all, it is their original Forte

• Upvote 1

2.30 is next. Not sure if we'll have time for a 2.40; we might jump straight to 2.50, depending on schedule. 3.00 is a looong way away.

• Upvote 1

I've said this here before. The last update didn't hold much interest for me.  Even though I'm also a bassist, I've never used my Helix for bass. That and the nerve wracking process of updating makes me think twice before doing it.  I'm very very happy with the sounds I get now and do not look forward to anymore tweaking. 

I felt the same way, but I updated anyway. The time I updated before that one was disatrous for me; I lost most of the presets I made and I was "once bitten twice shy" about the whole process. But I figured the best way to conquer your fears is to face them. It went much better this time around, thanks to some help from this forum! I imported my presets individually and it went without a hitch. It's still a bit of a pain in the butt, but it might be made simpler in a future firmware update.

I have a love/hate relationship with tweaking. The "hate" part is because I have tinnitus (I've had it for 30 years actually) and tweaking for FRFR at approximate gig volume isn't helping; in fact the ringing in my ears has gotten worse. Like you, I'm happy with the sounds I'm getting now, but I still can't resist discovering what the new models will sound like, especially when it's free!

• Upvote 1

2.30 is next. Not sure if we'll have time for a 2.40; we might jump straight to 2.50, depending on schedule. 3.00 is a looong way away.

I got a sense of that when looking at your '.'-release dates - they started to be about 4 months apart late last year.

You got delayed by extra effort to get Native right (time well spent, I think), i.e., no 2.3 around end of July.

If I'd have to guess I'd say you're aiming for a 2.3 possibly by or before end of September and a follow on to be ready to demo or release for January 2018

If your past release dates are not just a coincidence and you keep it up, 3.0 would fall into early/mid 2019.

I have to say I like your teasers and real background info (and the guts to let us know).

Thanks

Out of curiosity, what determines how much you increase the tenths digit for a new release? You said you might skip 2.40 and go straight to 2.50, but I would have thought whatever you eventually release after 2.3x would just be 2.40, regardless of whether you skipped a planned release in the interim. If you were just joking around, then I apologize for being a dumbass and I accept the scorn the computer guys will undoubtedly send my way. I still find it difficult to buy USB cords with the right size plug at both ends.

We can at least console ourselves that until we see version 3.00, they haven't stopped improving the Helix. And it doesn't necessarily mean that would be the end either. I do feel like even if they were to end now, I got the minimum of what I wanted and anymore is gravy just to me. There are things I hope will happen (lusher reverb anyone) but am happy already with what I paid for. Just my opinion. I know others will disagree and I don't feel it's a character flaw if they do.

• Upvote 1

I'll pop in on occasion and explain why something may or may not be feasible, but you're right—an unfeasible idea may trigger something cool. :)

As a fellow product manager I wish IdeaScale was much more aggressively groomed. Right now it's kind of a mess of lunacies and perfectly reasonable asks, with a sprinkling of ideas that have been executed already but the team forgot to close (last time I checked).

When I managed an idea forum (my current company doesn't have one) I made a point of grooming the list very often to make it easier for users to see if something was being considered or not, and UserVoice in my opinion does a much better job at letting product teams do that work.

Anyways, it's cool when a PM interacts with the forums, props for being in tune with your customers. Are you on the PMHQ slack?

• Upvote 1

As a fellow product manager I wish IdeaScale was much more aggressively groomed. Right now it's kind of a mess of lunacies and perfectly reasonable asks, with a sprinkling of ideas that have been executed already but the team forgot to close (last time I checked).

When I managed an idea forum (my current company doesn't have one) I made a point of grooming the list very often to make it easier for users to see if something was being considered or not, and UserVoice in my opinion does a much better job at letting product teams do that work.

Anyways, it's cool when a PM interacts with the forums, props for being in tune with your customers. Are you on the PMHQ slack?

Every time I attempt to groom IdeaScale (merge ideas, tag ideas as implemented, etc.), submitters get upset: "Wait! My submission was ever-so-slightly different!" "Yes, but that's not exactly how I wanted that feature to behave!" It also doesn't help that one particular competitor pays very close attention to what we say and do online; the last thing we need to give them is a checklist.

Some companies treat IdeaScale like a two-way communication platform; instead, we just use it to validate/prioritize our backlogs and roadmaps.

Not on the PMHQ, but it's something I really should jump into. Have heard great things; thanks for the push!  :)

• Upvote 1

Out of curiosity, what determines how much you increase the tenths digit for a new release? You said you might skip 2.40 and go straight to 2.50, but I would have thought whatever you eventually release after 2.3x would just be 2.40, regardless of whether you skipped a planned release in the interim. If you were just joking around, then I apologize for being a dumbass and I accept the scorn the computer guys will undoubtedly send my way. I still find it difficult to buy USB cords with the right size plug at both ends.

Gut instinct, mostly. If a release ends up with notably more features or models than we expect, or if it includes features that require extensive documentation, we'll adjust the release number accordingly. For example, Snapshots came with 2.00, and we needed to update the manual to reflect that.

My favorite story involving release numbers was with the Mackie Digital 8•Bus mixer. Everyone was clamoring for 4.0, and one day Mackie made a public announcement that 4.0 would never come. The forums blew up with complaints and the next day they released 5.0. Totally skipped 4.0, just because it was funny.

• Upvote 5

Agreed.  As if we were all waiting on bated breath for native.  This unit has plenty of horse power for more outstanding delays and reverbs as well as new models.

Here is a short list

Shiva clean with bright switch option

existing shiva with optional bright switch  (not sure why that wasn’t included on the current model.  I dime the treble as well as the presence to get close to the desired territory.) 

1970 super lead (George Lynch)

another Divided by 13

HB-HBE 100

Budda 80

Badcat Cub

Super Reverb

Ecstacy.

Just to name a few.

Some reverbs with higher density would be nice.

More options on the tape delay like age and bias?

Can anyone think of some more?

Gut instinct, mostly. If a release ends up with notably more features or models than we expect, or if it includes features that require extensive documentation, we'll adjust the release number accordingly. For example, Snapshots came with 2.00, and we needed to update the manual to reflect that.

My favorite story involving release numbers was with the Mackie Digital 8•Bus mixer. Everyone was clamoring for 4.0, and one day Mackie made a public announcement that 4.0 would never come. The forums blew up with complaints and the next day they released 5.0. Totally skipped 4.0, just because it was funny.

Awesome. "Because it was funny" is the reason for about three quarters of what I do.

• Upvote 1

http://semver.org/

• Upvote 1

@willrock what do you mean by 'but there is just tooooo much that Helix needs.  '?

If you dont want or need more different amps, cabs and fx what are you saying Helix really needs?

Sorry man just seeing this.. Welp, the cabs i agree with you on, whole heartedly. I couldnt be any more disappointed in those. They are far and away the worst of any program i own......amps, while i love them and want more, i could get buy with whats there. More than likely whatever new amp they put out, one of the existing helix amps will be able to duplicate its sound enough a person wouldnt be able to pick it out in a mix, quite often even with the guitar soloed.

For instance litigator wasnt of any use to me. I was already getting that sound with the Hiwatt, identical. Heres the file below. The first 7 seconds is the Hiwatt the last 8 seconds is Litigator....or vise versa. I cant tell them apart lol.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/90lqp2mdd4n304x/dumbwhatt.wav?raw=1

1)The reverbs arent awful but they all sound the same.

2)We need an IR manager or a different approach to IRs bad.

3)While being able to move the mic left/right on the guitar cabs would help a lot, helix needs a complete "cab lab"  equipped with an analyzer and deep phase editing capabilities. That IS where the largest part of the "tone" comes from in the modeling world. Why does it have to be "barely adequate"?

4)Tone matching isnt for me, but it WOULD be cool and i know a lot of other folks would appreciate it.

I cant take anything away from your opinion, but these are just some things off the top of my head that would make helix a stronger product compared to more amps, more fx ect..