Sign in to follow this  
supertonic_jack

The length of the Looper in the Helix Unit

Does anybody know what the maximum time for the looper in the helix units is? How long can I record a riff before the capacity of the looper is reached. On the Spider IV for example it was only 60 sec..
I hope line6 hasn't saved the couple of cents this time and invested in the length of the looping. It is an important feature.

• Upvote 1

Check out page 13of the manual for more info.  It is 60 seconds Mono, 30 seconds Stereo at full speed.

there is a half speed which doesn't alter tone too much (that i can hear) which doubles the length. The only setback with it is remembering to set to 1/2 speed before you start recording ;)

Not sure Helix looper feature is lollipoped, it may have been designed intentionally to be short. The reason is its very difficult to use a looper and switch effects/snapshots using the same set of footswitches and the Mode/Looper switch. Any real looping would benefit from a separate dedicated looper in the Helix effects loop. 

12 hours ago, amsdenj said:

Not sure Helix looper feature is lollipoped, it may have been designed intentionally to be short. The reason is its very difficult to use a looper and switch effects/snapshots using the same set of footswitches and the Mode/Looper switch. Any real looping would benefit from a separate dedicated looper in the Helix effects loop. 

well - an external looper adds switches accessible at the same time, but most loopers offer less switches then the helix in looper mode. OK, you have to switch between looper mode and other modes wich is'nt ideal. But what we have with the Helix would be better with a bit more time ;)

I guess - it's not my priority, but to some other people it could be.

15 hours ago, amsdenj said:

BS, you're saying they purposely throttle the loop time so people don't have trouble using effects and the looper together? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

FWIW loop time is sufficient for me, altgough longer would definitely be desired.  

The Line 6 multi-pedals have never had much looping power or functionality, at least for serious looping work. Its almost like a marketing check-box item. Helix is no different. Its good enough for simple looping/home jamming or composing, or for designing presets. That's OK, though, because Helix can focus on its core tone modeling strengths.

If you want to do precision looping with layered loops or if you perform live using loops, you really should add a dedicated external looper. Pick up a Pigtronix or used Boomerang or something. Polyloops, not lollipops.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, soundog said:

.. Polyloops, not lollipops.

... where are the lol emoticons when you need them???........

On 5/17/2018 at 11:01 AM, silverhead said:

... where are the lol emoticons when you need them???........

They haven't been here since they updated the forum. I hope they wipe their butt better than this on the next forum update! EmojiEmojiEmojiPOOP. ; )

I asked a friend of mine, which knows a lot about technical backgrounds and engineering. He says it would cost Line6 just a couple of Cents to a Dollar more to increase the Memory on the Chip^^ It is a joke to save a couple of cents for such a basic core feature in my opinion. 

1 minute ago, jj19922012 said:

I asked a friend of mine, which knows a lot about technical backgrounds and engineering. He says it would cost Line6 just a couple of Cents to a Dollar more to increase the Memory on the Chip^^ It is a joke to save a couple of cents for such a basic core feature in my opinion. 

The memory isn't really the issue. It's more a matter of the software architecture. One thing is an embedded firmware processor like this isn't a modular system like a PC or a tablet where you can just add more storage. The chips are purchased as complete packages, and it's kind of like you get what you get. They don't sell memory upgrades to SHARC chips. If you look at all the SHARC-based processors out there, or even the new Boss GT-1000 (which isn't SHARC-based, but something similar), they all have relatively short loop lengths. The Headrush, which has 20 minutes of looping capability, but that's an ARM-based processor, which ends up having other significant limitations on other, (I'd say) more important things.

On 5/17/2018 at 10:22 AM, Thurston9 said:

BS, you're saying they purposely throttle the loop time so people don't have trouble using effects and the looper together? Maybe I'm misunderstanding. 

FWIW loop time is sufficient for me, altgough longer would definitely be desired.  

No, I'm saying the looper wasn't necessarily intended to be a performance level looper because of the need to mode switch to share the foot switches between looper, effect and snapshot control. So perhaps having long loops, which would likely require more tone switching, might not have been a priority. 

But I too wish the loop was longer as it would make practicing easier. But I'd probably never use it for live looping in any case.

On 5/20/2018 at 1:44 AM, phil_m said:

The memory isn't really the issue. It's more a matter of the software architecture. One thing is an embedded firmware processor like this isn't a modular system like a PC or a tablet where you can just add more storage. The chips are purchased as complete packages, and it's kind of like you get what you get. They don't sell memory upgrades to SHARC chips. If you look at all the SHARC-based processors out there, or even the new Boss GT-1000 (which isn't SHARC-based, but something similar), they all have relatively short loop lengths. The Headrush, which has 20 minutes of looping capability, but that's an ARM-based processor, which ends up having other significant limitations on other, (I'd say) more important things.

So just to verify, you are saying the issue is in the chipset and no firmware update will ever increase the size of the looper length?

1 hour ago, codeOwl said:

So just to verify, you are saying the issue is in the chipset and no firmware update will ever increase the size of the looper length?

The post you quoted is quite old, and I was speculating that's the case... Maybe Line 6 has something else up their sleeve - I don't know.

2 hours ago, phil_m said:

The post you quoted is quite old, and I was speculating that's the case... Maybe Line 6 has something else up their sleeve - I don't know.

I can't quote chapter and verse, but I did read a post on "The Gear Page" from Digital Igloo who indicated that increasing the length of the looper time was potentially a possible avenue that they could go down once Helix Core was implemented. 

Will they?  

I think a looper is one of those areas that if you need something more complex, you're best buying a more complex looper. Personally, I'd rather they save whatever space they got or can use to add more amps/effects (but hell, maybe it's not an either or decision, so that would change things).  

I'm not anti looper either. I pre-ordered the new Boss RC-10R a few days ago.