Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

No bug, but this is post nr 1000 in this thread, so I went for it :-p

I am celebrating that with you as the OP who started the thread. My sincere thanks to Line6 for pinning it to keep it readily available. Other companies would not have been as brave and would have buried it with a "page not found" message. I hope it has helped folks to resolve issues that turned out not to be bugs, aided as a sort of "early warning" system to relay genuine bugs to Line6 and other users, and also provided a way to have fellow forum users help in confirming(or not) your findings or provide workarounds.

Most folks are already aware of this but a friendly reminder of a point that Silverhead originally communicated to me 'lo' these many moons ago. If you do determine that you have actually discovered a bug, open a trouble ticket with Line6. They have a process in place for addressing bugs and your issue is much more likely to be seen and possibly addressed there. Also, if you have reported a bug and it does get fixed feel free to come back here and post a pat on the back and hearty thanks to Line6. Happy 1000 Anniversary "Bugs" thread!   :)  :D

Just thought I'd mention, this is not one of those threads we are striving to run up the post count on. The goal is that it dwindles down to none eventually and lives out the rest of its days quietly in a pasture.  ;)

• Upvote 1

Hi,

I've updated the new Helix LT firmware to 2.5 and all is good. However I installed HX edit 2.51 several times and every time it crashes on startup. I have Macbook pro 2012 with Mavericks installed. The previous Hx edit version 2.30 works fine after reinstall but I can't see the legacy effects or new amp models.

I have both a Helix Floor and a Helix Rack. 2.5 was seamless on the floor unit however the Helix Rack not so much. My helix control stops working. After a 30 second delay it comes back and as soon I start changing banks it acts up again. I am at a complete loss. Have not had any issues prior to 2.5. It’s now unusable. It’s just a month old.

I’ve tried everything. Different cables etc. Still happens. This is my gig rig!

Update - this is somehow tied to my Mission expression pedal being plugged in. As soon as I unplug it the problem seems to goes away? Even wierder.....if the expression pedal is plugged in and it freezes if I use the expression pedal it starts to work again. Maybe a hardware failure as I rolled it back to 2.30 and I still have the problem. A bit weird that it started with the update though.

Help????

I experienced problems when trying to update the Helix Floor model to 2.5.  Computer 27" iMac 2017  i7 4.2 Ghz.  I tried all of the online suggestions without success.  I contacted support, he tried a lot of suggestions, but to no avail.  I made sure Line 6 installer, Helix edit were all updated.  I tried different USB ports and different usb cables.  The fix came when I switched from a 15' USB cable to a 3' cable, then it worked like a charm.  The USB cable that worked was a higher quality cable with better shielding.  So if everything else fails give this fix a try, it might work for you.

Hi Biggs, just thought I'd provide the steps provided me from Line 6 support.  1) Make sure your working with the most recent Helix edit and Line 6 updater. 2) Back up your Helix if you haven't already. 3) Turn off all firewalls and virus protection. 4) Connect your Helix to your computer directly, not via a USB Hub. 5) If possible unplug all other USB devices connected to your computer. 6) Make sure you’ve installed the latest Line 6 drivers for your operating system. (these can be found at downloads and search on Helix/drivers/“your operating system). 7) Update your Helix following the Line 6 updating instructions.  If it fails the error on the screen had some instructions on how to reset to factory defaults, and how to boot into update mode.  They can also be found at support/technical support/Knowledge base and faqs: Helix/LT/FX Reset Procedures and Troubleshooting Tricks.  If it still fails after all of that, then try updating your Helix, connecting to different USB ports on your computer, sometimes the chip set of the USB connector can cause problems.  That's everything they provided me, so hopefully theres something there that you haven't tried.  If you can't get the upgrade installed, contact support and they will instruct you to ship your Helix to a Line 6 repair center which will perform the update.  I feel your pain, I was an unhappy camper until I discovered that a short high quality USB cable was the fix to my problem.  Good luck!

I am experiencing what may be a bug or quirk in the new Placater Dirty(Friedman) amp block where increasing the Drive parameter decreases the volume significantly. I am using the 'Placater Dirty' amp block with a separate '4x12CaliV30' cab block. Crank your Master up to 10 and the Ch Vol up fairly high. Now slide the Drive parameter steadily down from 10 to 0. At about "1" I am getting a significant boost in volume. As I turn the Drive up from "1" the volume steadily goes down after you pass about 1.4. In other words the volume steadily goes down as I slide the Drive back up to 10. The Drive set on 10 is more distorted(as you would expect) but noticeably lower in volume(which you would not expect) then with the Drive at 1.

The volume level behavior seems abnormal across the entire Drive range. As stated the problem area seems to start at about 1 and by the time the Drive hits about 1.4 the volume starts dropping instead of increasing although the level of overdrive increases(as it should) as you turn up the Drive parameter.. The volume on this amp model is much louder with the Drive on 1 than it is with the Drive on 10.  I discovered this first with my ears and then used a decibel meter to check and the volume is definitely going down as I turn the Drive up. Gives this model a bit of a muted effect on higher drive settings. Is this intentional? Is there a parameter on this model that could be causing this. Does not seem right to me. Could some folks please test this and let me know if they are getting the same results. Thanks!

Btw, I have the HBE, Fat, C45, and Saturation parameters set to off for the purposes of this test.

I am experiencing what may be a bug or quirk in the new Placater Dirty(Friedman) amp block where increasing the Drive parameter decreases the volume significantly. I am using the 'Placater Dirty' amp block with a separate '4x12CaliV30' cab block. Crank your Master up to 10 and the Ch Vol up fairly high. Now slide the Drive parameter steadily down from 10 to 0. At about "1" I am getting a significant boost in volume. As I turn the Drive up from "1" the volume steadily goes down after you pass about 1.4. In other words the volume steadily goes down as I go back up to 10 with the Drive on 10 being more distorted(as you would expect) but noticeably lower in volume(which you would not expect) then with the Drive at 1.

The volume level behavior seems abnormal across the entire Drive parameter range. As stated the problem area seems to start at about 1 and by the time the Drive hits about 1.4 the volume starts dropping instead of increasing as the level of overdrive increases as you turn up the Drive parameter.. The volume on this amp model is much louder with the Drive on 1 than it is with the Drive on 10.  I discovered this first with my ears and then used a decibel meter to check and the volume is definitely going down as I turn the Drive up. Gives this model a bit of a muted effect on higher drive settings. Is this intentional? Is there a parameter on this model that could be causing this. Does not seem right to me. Could some folks please test this and let me know if they are getting the same results. Thanks!

Btw, I have the HBE, Fat, C45, and Saturation parameters set to off for the purposes of this test.

Bump, anyone seeing the same issue on the new Placater Dirty model?

Update: The Gear Page has been discussing the Placater bug and Line6's Ben Adrian says it is will be on the list to be fixed in the next update. Would have been nice if that had been posted over here as well. 

Just commenting; that's been one of my ongoing gripes to be honest - it's very very often been more informative to go to the unofficial sprawling TGP site to get information from the Line 6 officials than it has been to come here.

It seems counterintuitive considering that this forum is the official one.

Cut and paste; a link to the TGP post; anything would be helpful/useful to find here.

Nothing against TGP; I follow things there as much as I can. It's just that it's a site with a high volume of traffic so it's difficult to keep up with things and see these important tidbits showing up there.

I've missed them on more than one occasion because I don't have time to scan through what can often be 10 standard pages of postings in one topic from one day to the next.

• Upvote 1

Just commenting; that's been one of my ongoing gripes to be honest - it's very very often been more informative to go to the unofficial sprawling TGP site to get information from the Line 6 officials than it has been to come here.

It seems counterintuitive considering that this forum is the official one.

Cut and paste; a link to the TGP post; anything would be helpful/useful to find here.

Nothing against TGP; I follow things there as much as I can. It's just that it's a site with a high volume of traffic so it's difficult to keep up with things and see these important tidbits showing up there.

I've missed them on more than one occasion because I don't have time to scan through what can often be 10 standard pages of postings in one topic from one day to the next.

Totally agree! It has become a serious communication problem. For a lot of users of Line6 devices this has been the primary destination for sharing information and looking for assistance. And why wouldn't it be? It is Line6's official site and people assume this is the most likely spot to get help and advice on Line6 products, mostly from fellow users but when they get lucky or it is warranted, directly from someone at Line6.  A lot of users have given their personal time to help out on the forum and quite frankly saved the support folks at Line6 a lot of phone calls and tickets they would have needed to address otherwise. Why not continue to encourage that? It does not seem like too much to ask that if Line6 staff is going to make TGP their primary destination that the information gets shared here as well. For now I would just say again to everyone who frequents this forum, you have a much better chance of getting your questions about bugs, features, future direction, or anything else answered by Line6 staff over on TGP. That appears to be the current trend, I'm not going to try to buck it. Does seems worth mentioning though.

• Upvote 1

bug 1. 2.5 bugs, during my gig, presets 1-4, my main presets, dissappeared, when scrolling thru banks, it went from 5-8 to 124-127, rebooted, still gone, after a minute, they returned by themselves.

bug 2. in the screen menu for which variax guitars are chozen, only my custom banks show up, all others are blank, left handed variax

I am experiencing what may be a bug or quirk in the new Placater Dirty(Friedman) amp block where increasing the Drive parameter decreases the volume significantly. I am using the 'Placater Dirty' amp block with a separate '4x12CaliV30' cab block. Crank your Master up to 10 and the Ch Vol up fairly high. Now slide the Drive parameter steadily down from 10 to 0. At about "1" I am getting a significant boost in volume. As I turn the Drive up from "1" the volume steadily goes down after you pass about 1.4. In other words the volume steadily goes down as I slide the Drive back up to 10. The Drive set on 10 is more distorted(as you would expect) but noticeably lower in volume(which you would not expect) then with the Drive at 1.

The volume level behavior seems abnormal across the entire Drive range. As stated the problem area seems to start at about 1 and by the time the Drive hits about 1.4 the volume starts dropping instead of increasing although the level of overdrive increases(as it should) as you turn up the Drive parameter.. The volume on this amp model is much louder with the Drive on 1 than it is with the Drive on 10.  I discovered this first with my ears and then used a decibel meter to check and the volume is definitely going down as I turn the Drive up. Gives this model a bit of a muted effect on higher drive settings. Is this intentional? Is there a parameter on this model that could be causing this. Does not seem right to me. Could some folks please test this and let me know if they are getting the same results. Thanks!

Update: The Gear Page has been discussing the Placater bug and Line6's Ben Adrian says it is will be on the list to be fixed in the next update. ...

Another quote on TGP from Ben Adrian regarding the 'Placater Dirty' model: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?posts/25820362/

"Okay, this is probably my bad. There is level compensation tied to the gain controls of amps. What happen is that the amps sometimes get unusably quiet at super low gain settings. So, when the amp is in a super low gain setting there is a slight, totally clean, post amp model level boost applied. It's not a compressor. I try to calibrate this so that it's sonically invisible, but I was in a big hurry to make the NAMM release code freeze deadline and I biffed it.

I'll put this in the bug list and make sure it's fixed in the next release. For the time being know that there is nothing changing behind the scenes except what might be considered a hidden Channel Volume adjustment."

Thanks!

Another quote from the Line 6 developer Ben Adrian regarding the Placater model. This reveals an interesting design detail about how some other amp models in general as well as this one use a compensatory boost when the drive is turned most of the the way down. The heart of this quote certainly applies to the Placater model but I was also noticing a loss in volume as the "Drive" parameter was turned all the way up, such that it seemed this model is not only getting a bump where it should not at about Drive=1, but also never attaining the level it should when the Drive is cranked up. Not sure if that is by design or not but it seems like the bug fix should include not only an adjustment to the area at the bottom of the Drive parameter setting but also a fix to the Drive curve such that cranking it up also increases the signal level and adds some volume. That is what I find happens on most amps as you drive the preamp section harder but I don't own this one so maybe it is different.

I guess i get it but do we really just have one thread for all bugs? Ive searched the words "ripple and hum" assuming thats all i can do to find out if my bug has been reported, but nothing came up and it still leaves me with a feeling of discontent.

For a while ive been an of the camp, if you cant hear it or feel it making a difference to the guitar sound then L6 should set it at a moderate volume and get rid of the slider. Hum is pretty obvious, but ripple not so much.  Actually the ripple effect isnt hard to hear at all but up until about 4 months ago when i found the bug, i just assumed my ears were simply not yet picking it up, because the effect was overly subtle, but most of the time it was not working at all, especially in the case of using IRs.

Im not sure how widespread it is but ive gotten the same result on multiple computers and ive heard other users, who i consider to be pretty skilled, complain that they dont hear any difference in using the ripple control.

There is a bug. Its very repeatable. I find it hard to believe that its NOT a known issue, but then its a little hard to be certain with all bugs lumped into a single thread.

Heres how to get ripple to quit working - Lets use Litigator because the effect is most evident that model since it just sounds like hum.

Start with a fresh preset. Add Litigator and turn the ripple up to 10. Add any block. Lets say a speaker. You should still hear the effect after youve added the speaker. Now start cycling thru selections. Not values (such as mic, distance, hi cut, ect) but different speaker selections. As soon as you start cycling thru selections - lets say from 1x12 lead 80 to 1x12 cali IV you will hear the effect stop working. So it seems as long as you are working with blocks in their default settings OR simply changing values of a block, ripple still works, but as soon as you add a speaker or compression block and select a different type of speaker or compressor, thats when ripple stops working. Say vetta comp to blue comp. If you would have just stayed on vetta comp and simply changed its values (sensitivity or level) you would have been fine. It can be ANY block AFAIK.

Heres how to get ripple to start working again - 1) after youve got all your blocks the way you want them, reload the amp block again and dont select any different types of modules inside ANY block. You'll be ok if you raise and lower values, but not if you choose a different type of speaker or whatever.

2) You can also slide the amp block left or right one position....maybe(?) even up or down, but sometimes we dont always have the space to do0 that..

Had an issue on my HX Effects where after engaging the tuner, if I use the tuner switch to turn it off, I get a "pop!" out of my amp.  Pressing the mode button instead works, but to me this is an issue.

Apologies ahead of time if none of this applies but here's tryin'. The fact that it happens when you switch out of the tuner but not when using mode to switch is interesting and could render the following tests null & void and be something to contact Lin6 about but I guess it doesn't hurt to eliminate some possible causes to start. I would start by making sure I am not overloading my monitor equipment with too hot a signal causing a pop when engaged. The easiest way to test this might be by switching to headphones and seeing if you still hear the pop. That would at least disqualify the cabling and setting for your FRFR or amp/cab as a source of the problem. Does this happen on all presets or just a few? If you switch to this preset from another preset instead of from the tuner do you still get a pop? If so, it could be preset, signal level, or monitoring equipment related rather than an issue with switching off the tuner. If you have already tried the above and this is a problem on all/many presets, especially the Factory ones, I would probably open a ticket with Line6 and let them help you out. 

Had an issue on my HX Effects where after engaging the tuner, if I use the tuner switch to turn it off, I get a "pop!" out of my amp.  Pressing the mode button instead works, but to me this is an issue.

Me too, sometimes really loud and of course, if reverb is on the patch you going back to, it sound especially noticeable.

I have both a Helix Floor and a Helix Rack. 2.5 was seamless on the floor unit however the Helix Rack not so much. My helix control stops working. After a 30 second delay it comes back and as soon I start changing banks it acts up again. I am at a complete loss. Have not had any issues prior to 2.5. It’s now unusable. It’s just a month old.

I’ve tried everything. Different cables etc. Still happens. This is my gig rig!

Update - this is somehow tied to my Mission expression pedal being plugged in. As soon as I unplug it the problem seems to goes away? Even wierder.....if the expression pedal is plugged in and it freezes if I use the expression pedal it starts to work again. Maybe a hardware failure as I rolled it back to 2.30 and I still have the problem. A bit weird that it started with the update though.

Help????

The line 6 folks have responded to my ticket and have now acknowledged this is a bug and will be fixed in the next release.

Helix with version 2.50. Stereo Pan Block Issue

I have a preset where I needed to pan the balance to the left, so I placed a stereo pan black at the end of the signal chain. Planned on to 99% left then saved the preset. Upon switching out of that preset then back to it, the pan block reset to Center. Happens every time.

Helix with version 2.50. Stereo Pan Block Issue

I have a preset where I needed to pan the balance to the left, so I placed a stereo pan black at the end of the signal chain. Planned on to 99% left then saved the preset. Upon switching out of that preset then back to it, the pan block reset to Center. Happens every time.

Are there brackets around the pan parameter in the block? The Stereo Pan block comes in with the pan set to be controlled by EXP2 (or EXP 1 - don't quite remember). But if you have the EXP Position global setting set to "Global" the expression pedal position will override the knob setting. If you don't want the Pan block to be tied to the pedal, just go to the Contol Assign screen and change the controller for that parameter to "None".

I should also add that if you simply want to adjust the panning at the end of a signal chain, adding the Pan block is kind of unnecessary. You can adjust the panning in the output block just as easily.

Using a Helix rack here and control.  When a loop is playing at half-speed, moving an effects block around the looper plays the phrase at full speed even though the display says half speed.  Pressing 1/2-full button to say "full" then pressing it back again to say 1/2 speed returns it to normal (normal in this case is half speed).

edit: I'm on 2.50

Hi! I updated to version 2.5 today, and it seems I can’t Get the footswitches to be 8 stompboxes? Just 8 snapshots or 4snap/4stomp. Is there Any way to Get 8 stompboxes?!

Hit the Mode footswitch to get into Stomp Mode.

Apologies ahead of time if none of this applies but here's tryin'. The fact that it happens when you switch out of the tuner but not when using mode to switch is interesting and could render the following tests null & void and be something to contact Lin6 about but I guess it doesn't hurt to eliminate some possible causes to start. I would start by making sure I am not overloading my monitor equipment with too hot a signal causing a pop when engaged. The easiest way to test this might be by switching to headphones and seeing if you still hear the pop. That would at least disqualify the cabling and setting for your FRFR or amp/cab as a source of the problem. Does this happen on all presets or just a few? If you switch to this preset from another preset instead of from the tuner do you still get a pop? If so, it could be preset, signal level, or monitoring equipment related rather than an issue with switching off the tuner. If you have already tried the above and this is a problem on all/many presets, especially the Factory ones, I would probably open a ticket with Line6 and let them help you out. 

I think it may have to do with the fx loop...  standby for further testing.

Edit: It is most definitely an issue with the fx loop.  It is even louder if you do a Send 1 and Return 1 as separate blocks (as opposed to doing FX Loop 1). I intend to report the issue.  No FX loop, no issue.

I'm encountering a bug that first appeared in 2.50 and still seems to be present in 2.52.  I have foot switches assigned to midi toggle for effects in my rack.  These work as intended when toggling the switches manually.  In 2.30 snapshots would save the state of the footswitch and when changing to that snapshot the appropriate midi messages would be sent.  Now the indicators are lit, but no MIDI message is sent.  Seems similar to the reported, and now fixed, bug with external amp switching though I don't use that feature.

Please look into this bug for your next release.

Parametric EQ effect block display for Level does not display -0.1dB properly. The "-" is missing. So the display goes from -0.2dB to 0.1dB to 0.0dB to 0.1dB

I think the actual volume is correct, but the display makes it seem like you're jumping. Very minor I know but it threw me off for a moment wondering why I couldn't set it to 0.0 (when I could, I just needed to go one more notch up).

This is on the 2.50 firmware.

Parametric EQ effect block display for Level does not display -0.1dB properly. The "-" is missing. So the display goes from -0.2dB to 0.1dB to 0.0dB to 0.1dB

I think the actual volume is correct, but the display makes it seem like you're jumping. Very minor I know but it threw me off for a moment wondering why I couldn't set it to 0.0 (when I could, I just needed to go one more notch up).

Yep, I can confirm this bug still exists on the 2.52 firmware as well.

OK, so it turns out it does this on EVERY effect that I've tweaked. -0.1dB doesn't display properly.

I'm encountering a bug that first appeared in 2.50 and still seems to be present in 2.52.  I have foot switches assigned to midi toggle for effects in my rack.  These work as intended when toggling the switches manually.  In 2.30 snapshots would save the state of the footswitch and when changing to that snapshot the appropriate midi messages would be sent.  Now the indicators are lit, but no MIDI message is sent.  Seems similar to the reported, and now fixed, bug with external amp switching though I don't use that feature.

Please look into this bug for your next release.

Line 6, you've rendered my Helix as pedalboard for my MESA MK v useless!!!!!

I use snapshots to switch amp functions via midi CC messages assigned to footswitches via a Voodoo Labs control switcher, and just as awatson 80 experienced, CC messages no longer function via snapshots!  Fix it NOW please!!!!!! I can't use this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit - this is for V2.50

Line 6, you've rendered my Helix as pedalboard for my MESA MK v useless!!!!!

I use snapshots to switch amp functions via midi CC messages assigned to footswitches via a Voodoo Labs control switcher, and just as awatson 80 experienced, CC messages no longer function via snapshots!  Fix it NOW please!!!!!! I can't use this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit - this is for V2.50

Man, if you would have just added a 19th exclamation point at the end, they definitely would've listened to you... Too bad...

This item will be addressed shortly. The hotfix firmware to address this was actually released this past week, but they ended up taking it down because some people were having some weird issues during the installation process.  The new one should be out on Monday.

Man, if you would have just added a 19th exclamation point at the end, they definitely would've listened to you... Too bad...

This item will be addressed shortly. The hotfix firmware to address this was actually released this past week, but they ended up taking it down because some people were having some weird issues during the installation process.  The new one should be out on Monday.

Well phil_m, forgive my anxiety, but an update that breaks important functionality is no good. I hope you're right about the release day. I never even installed 2.3 because I didn't need its' features on my live rig. I only updated to 2.5 for the legacy FX. I only use amp modeling via Helix native on my DAW. My helix floorboard is used strictly for FX and switching of my amp, so at best I'm back to my old tap dance.

Here's a few more exclamation points in case you run out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Having a problem with amp control when switching between presets. After saving a preset with an ext amp toggle to 'on', when switching to that preset the amp is not toggled, even though the switch indicates on. Using a crate shockwave amp if that matters. I can switch back and forth between another snapshot that is toggled off, then it works as expected. I usually prefer to have my presets default to the clean channel, for this amp that's an 'on' toggle. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful! 

Steps to recreate:

1. Save 2 snapshots within a preset, Snapshot 1 with ext amp toggled on, Snapshot 2 with ext amp toggled off. Snapshot 1 is saved as the active Snapshot.

2. Switch back to that preset:

Expected behavior - Snapshot 1 is selected, ext amp toggled on, and amp toggles to the 'on' state, in my case a clean channel.

Observed behavior - Snapshot 1 is selected, the footswitch 'ext amp' is toggled on, but the amp is not toggled, and is on the lead channel. Selecting Snapshot 2 and then Snapshot 1 will toggle the amp, or switching the footswitch 'ext amp' off and back on.

At first this could seem to be a bit of a minor thing, but when you have the clean channel setup going thru the lead channel instead, you can potentially get some very...interesting but undesired sounds and feedback while you're frantically trying to get it switched :p.

Thanks!

My floor unit hung at startup at the splash screen after upgrading it to 2.50, then turning it off and then back on - the screen froze and there was no response to any controls. Cycling the power  resolved this and it's been ok ever since, but now I don't feel confident anymore that it won't hang again every time I turn it on. It's been nice and stable so far with all previous FW versions - no hangs, no crashes. Wondering if anyone else have seen this and heads-up/FYI to the devs.

My floor unit hung at startup at the splash screen after upgrading it to 2.50, then turning it off and then back on - the screen froze and there was no response to any controls. Cycling the power resolved this and it's been ok ever since, but now I don't feel confident anymore that it won't hang again every time I turn it on. It's been nice and stable so far with all previous FW versions - no hangs, no crashes. Wondering if anyone else have seen this and heads-up/FYI to the devs.