Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Bug Reports

HonestOpinion

Hi I thought my helix had crashed at start up after installing 2.5 but when looked carefully the helix was rebuilding the presets. It took ages to finish btw

Thanks, I saw this too - I waited until it finished and went to the home screen, I even played it a little and then I turned it off and then back on later - that's when it hung.

Well phil_m, forgive my anxiety, but an update that breaks important functionality is no good. I hope you're right about the release day. I never even installed 2.3 because I didn't need its' features on my live rig. I only updated to 2.5 for the legacy FX. I only use amp modeling via Helix native on my DAW. My helix floorboard is used strictly for FX and switching of my amp, so at best I'm back to my old tap dance.

Here's a few more exclamation points in case you run out.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FYI - I did successfully upgrade to 2.52 while it was up and live.  In fact I'm still running that firmware.  The bug for MIDI CC Messages and snapshots I mentioned is present in 2.50 and 2.52.  Unless they have additional fixes for the next patch I don't think the issue my passionate friend above and I are experiencing will be resolved.

Please help.  I'm spoiled after replacing my pedalboard with this setup, and I'm not a fan of tap dancing, even if I use fewer exclamation points to make my  case.

This could be completely unrelated to the new firmware but I am on HX Edit 2.52 as well as the 2.52 firmware. At rehearsal this evening I hit the amp button on my Helix to jump to the amp block and for the first time ever my screen went completely blank. I had to restart to restore normal operation and everything worked normally for the rest of the evening. Hopefully a one-time glitch and quite possibly unrelated to the update. Disconcerting though.

FYI - I did successfully upgrade to 2.52 while it was up and live.  In fact I'm still running that firmware.  The bug for MIDI CC Messages and snapshots I mentioned is present in 2.50 and 2.52.  Unless they have additional fixes for the next patch I don't think the issue my passionate friend above and I are experiencing will be resolved.

Please help.  I'm spoiled after replacing my pedalboard with this setup, and I'm not a fan of tap dancing, even if I use fewer exclamation points to make my  case.

I updated to 2.53 this morning, and the bug for MIDI CC message transmissions not working when changing snapshots has not been fixed.  So you still cannot switch external devices via CC messages when changing snapshots.  CC messages do work in stomp mode.

I have downgraded back to version 2.21 to restore the CC message in snapshot capability.  I guess I'll have to wait to get back all my old M13 effects :(

(look, no exclamation points)

The new HX Edit seems to have an issue -- you can export the current setlist but not from the File menu -- it's greyed out. You can do it from the section that says Setlists Import Export

I don't think this is a bug but more of an operational quirk in the current editor(2.52). If you double-click a preset after selecting a setlist such that there is a preset actively selected in that setlist; then the "Export Setlist" entry in the menu is no longer greyed out and works properly.

Hello,

I do the last update and I m'a happy to see the new Fx like the patern tremolo or panner but for me there is a big probleme to use it with midi sync because the helix can change the tempo even if this tempo is giving by a computer so with the midi sync the rythmic fx is useless because sometimes the tempo is good and sometimes not.. For me it's a really big problem.

The tap led become blue when you have a tempo sync. the led lights on and off on the same beat than the computer but if you change to another snap the light change so the tempo too. and the fx is not sync with the computer. it is the same tempo but the helix's beat and the computer's beat are not together.

Sorry for my bad english.

HX Effects Bugs:

- The LFO of the Bleat Chop Trem and the Legacy Pattern Trem ist not re-syncable! By the way I think the Bleat Chop Trem is not in time...  :wacko:

- I cannot assign the time to an my expression pedal when time is divisible via tap footswitch

Placater Dirty Amp isn't on my Helix running 2.53, wasn't on 2.50 either.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you trying to get to them through the front panel of Helix or through the Editor.

If the front panel, re-install firmware. Something is wrong.

If the Editor, de-install whatever editor you have and re-install HX Edit, the very latest version.

Placater Dirty Amp isn't on my Helix running 2.53, wasn't on 2.50 either.

What am I doing wrong?

Are you trying to get to them through the front panel of Helix or through the Editor.

If the front panel, re-install firmware. Something is wrong.

If the Editor, de-install whatever editor you have and re-install HX Edit, the very latest version.

What PeterHamm said ^^^. It sounds like you either have not upgraded to the 2.52 version of HX Edit. You will have to do this to see the new models in the Editor. If you are not seeing them on the Helix then most likely your firmware version is not updated to 2.53. When you bring up HX Edit and and click on the icon of the Helix on the bottom of the screen or click the "About Helix" entry under Help in the menu, what firmware and editor version are you seeing?

On 2/19/2018 at 2:57 PM, geetar_geek79 said:

Using a Helix rack here and control.  When a loop is playing at half-speed, moving an effects block around the looper plays the phrase at full speed even though the display says half speed.  Pressing 1/2-full button to say "full" then pressing it back again to say 1/2 speed returns it to normal (normal in this case is half speed).

edit: I'm on 2.53

I just upgraded my Helix from 2.53 to 2.54

I have a tuner plugged in send 3 and set the Helix to send the guitar signal to send 3/4 in Tuner Mode (default is MUTE).

It works with the 2.53 firmware but doesn't work anymore with 2.54.

So i went back to 2.53 and it's ok again, in tuner mode, same settings, my polytune receives the guitar signal from send 3.

5 hours ago, plexi71 said:

I have a tuner plugged in send 3 and set the Helix to send the guitar signal to send 3/4 (default is MUTE)

So i went back to 2.53 and it's ok again, in tuner mode, same settings, my polytune receives the guitar signal from send 3.

Please open a Support Ticket with Line 6 to be sure they are aware of your findings (in case they have yet to see your post). 

On 3/22/2018 at 8:07 PM, plexi71 said:

I have a tuner plugged in send 3 and set the Helix to send the guitar signal to send 3/4 in Tuner Mode (default is MUTE).

Same problem here 

I have a rack tuner plugging into send 1 on the Helix and the helix tuner output set to send 1/2 and not getting any signal from the helix rack tuner is not working  tested outputs 3/4 not working also 

1.thumb.jpg.3094e305e8123268b2b2c9b5c8740af0.jpg 

• 2 weeks later...

Without using Snapshots, I have several patches where I have footswitches configured to toggle multiple effects - ie: turn some on, and some off with a single press.   While it functions perfectly, the state of the footswitch on/off indicator that gets assigned seems to be rather random.   For example, suppose I want to bypass one amp and turn on another with one switch, and I want the switch to be bright & the scribble strip solid when I select the second amp.  I've tried various block assignment procedures - such as making sure the last block I assign to the switch is in the state I want the footswitch to show....but it seems to randomly change on it's own sometimes after the fact.  At this point I'm assuming it's a bug.  Correct?

Using a Helix Floor unit with the 4CM, and was working pretty well until i upgraded to 2.54. As soon as I did, I'm getting almost no volume going back to the amp, and the master volume knob has zero effect on the output. If I bypass the fx loop, it goes back to normal volume, and the volume control works normally. The amp control still switches channels appropriately, unlike some others I've seen, But unless I can figure out the volume issue I'll have to roll back to a previous version for it to be useable. Any suggestions welcome :). 

17 hours ago, RafterRattler said:

Without using Snapshots, I have several patches where I have footswitches configured to toggle multiple effects - ie: turn some on, and some off with a single press.   While it functions perfectly, the state of the footswitch on/off indicator that gets assigned seems to be rather random.   For example, suppose I want to bypass one amp and turn on another with one switch, and I want the switch to be bright & the scribble strip solid when I select the second amp.  I've tried various block assignment procedures - such as making sure the last block I assign to the switch is in the state I want the footswitch to show....but it seems to randomly change on it's own sometimes after the fact.  At this point I'm assuming it's a bug.  Correct?

I've been reporting this bug in ongoing fashion. It goes way back, and was thought to be fixed, but has not.

It seems to be either be mainly or exclusively to do with multiple assignments wherein amps are being switched.

I've had other function switches which don't change amps, just other functions/parameters, and they don't seem to 'forget' their LED status.

Each time there was a firmware update, I enjoyed putting it in, but loathed the fact that I'd have to go through all of my amp block-related function switches and fix their LED status every time (and I had at that point used a great many of them, especially since this predated the Snapshot feature).

So, 'seconded' (I've honestly lost track of how many times I've brought this up or reiterated or supported it as I am right now).

My issue is that in the months` I have owned my Helix I have been unable to maintain a connection to my computer.  The device will connect to the Edit software but as soon as I try to do anything, and I mean anything, the software says the connection is lost.  It will stay connected as long as I don't try to do anything.  

5 hours ago, MGW-Alberta said:

My issue is that in the months` I have owned my Helix I have been unable to maintain a connection to my computer.  The device will connect to the Edit software but as soon as I try to do anything, and I mean anything, the software says the connection is lost.  It will stay connected as long as I don't try to do anything.  

What type of computer and what OS?

Purchased a brand new HX Effects unit and it arrive Tuesday, 4/10/18. I intended on using this in the EFX loop of my amp and controlling it via a MIDI controller. It was intended to be a replacement for G-Major unit. 

After I plugged it in, it worked fine and I was able to use some of the EFX. Next I plugged the MIDI into it, and the whole thing died. I then went back and checked all the MIDI set up in the manual (there's not much to it), and tried again. 

After about the 3rd try, the whole unit refused to boot up. It's now be returned. I would have loved to make this unit a part of my rig. I'm not the only one who's experienced this problem based upon some reviews. 

Call me disappointed.  

37 minutes ago, Flameout12 said:

Purchased a brand new HX Effects unit and it arrive Tuesday, 4/10/18. I intended on using this in the EFX loop of my amp and controlling it via a MIDI controller. It was intended to be a replacement for G-Major unit. 

After I plugged it in, it worked fine and I was able to use some of the EFX. Next I plugged the MIDI into it, and the whole thing died. I then went back and checked all the MIDI set up in the manual (there's not much to it), and tried again. 

After about the 3rd try, the whole unit refused to boot up. It's now be returned. I would have loved to make this unit a part of my rig. I'm not the only one who's experienced this problem based upon some reviews. 

Call me disappointed.  

Did you ever try to update the firmware? That's really the first thing you need to upon powering it up.

Try holding down the left two footswitches (the tap and the one to the left of it) while powering it up. That will initiate a factory reset. After you do that, try installing the new firmware with Line 6 Updater.

Helix Floor, 2.54. I noticed that on a 10-band EQ block, the initial change from 0 to -0.1 doesn’t show the “-“ symbol.  The symbol doesn’t appear until you get to -0.2.   I havent’t checked to see if it does it on other EQ blocks.  

10 hours ago, jws1982 said:

Helix Floor, 2.54. I noticed that on a 10-band EQ block, the initial change from 0 to -0.1 doesn’t show the “-“ symbol.  The symbol doesn’t appear until you get to -0.2.   I havent’t checked to see if it does it on other EQ blocks.  

It shows up like that everywhere. This bug has been reported previously. Hopefully they get around to fixing it at some point.

BUG Description

If path 2a (stereo folded back) is used and then in path 2b you attempt to move stereo effect blocks

to 2b second path, the stereo effects end up mono event tough they show stereo.

In 2A Using (1) amp block then add another to 2a and move it to the second path (panning at the relative mixer sections)

then fold 2a (1-2) back to mixer (hard panned then send to path 2b, from 2b add effects in stereo and pull those to 2b (#2)

you expect the effects to stay stereo but then turn mono.

6 minutes ago, MarkJarvis said:

BUG Description

If path 2a (stereo folded back) is used and then in path 2b you attempt to move stereo effect blocks

to 2b second path, the stereo effects end up mono event tough they show stereo.

In 2A Using (1) amp block then add another to 2a and move it to the second path (panning at the relative mixer sections)

then fold 2a (1-2) back to mixer (hard panned then send to path 2b, from 2b add effects in stereo and pull those to 2b (#2)

you expect the effects to stay stereo but then turn mono.

Having a little trouble visualizing this... Any chance you could put up some screenshots?

On 2018-04-17 at 2:31 PM, jandromontero said:

Are you plugged directly into the computer or a usb hub? I’ve noticed HX Edit is prone to crashing when using anything besides the USB port on the Mac/pc.

Directly into a USB port.

I do have a hub but I find a lot of things don't like hubs.

So ... since being here last I managed to stay connected long enough to update my Helix software (the OS?).
That apparently was a big mistake.

The unit has never crashed on me since I got it.

Now it just stops taking input from me until it is rebooted.

Still makes sound, just completely unresponsive to me.
Buttons, dials, whatever.

What if I had noticed this the first time while on stage?

This is NOT cool.

Line 6 needs to work on reliability before fancy new functions.

Reliability is everything on a unit like this.

These things are not inexpensive.

People are not buying them as amusing toys or diversions.

They are tools.

They need to work ALL the time.

No exceptions.

Ever.

23 minutes ago, MGW-Alberta said:

Directly into a USB port.

I do have a hub but I find a lot of things don't like hubs.

So ... since being here last I managed to stay connected long enough to update my Helix software (the OS?).
That apparently was a big mistake.

The unit has never crashed on me since I got it.

Now it just stops taking input from me until it is rebooted.

Still makes sound, just completely unresponsive to me.
Buttons, dials, whatever.

What if I had noticed this the first time while on stage?

This is NOT cool.

Line 6 needs to work on reliability before fancy new functions.

Reliability is everything on a unit like this.

These things are not inexpensive.

People are not buying them as amusing toys or diversions.

They are tools.

They need to work ALL the time.

No exceptions.

Ever.

So are you saying that the HX Effects is crashing when you connect it to HX Edit still? Have you opened a support ticket? https://line6.com/support/tickets/add.html

I disagree VERY strongly with your statement.

Things made by humans can be extremely reliable.

We've simply been conditioned to accept unreliability as a fact of life by the corporate world.

It's a byproduct of unregulated capitalism, which wants you to continue buying the latest and greatest thing.

Building in obsolescence and unreliability is a good business model that creates repeat customers.

That's another conversation for another time and place, though.

To answer your query,  I got the unit updated but now when I use it to play guitar, the on-board editing features and switching on the unit are unresponsive.

It plays fine for a while and then stops taking input.

I don't create patches on the computer, I create them on the unit.
As I said in my earlier post, it doesn't want to stay connected to the computer.

That's why I don't edit on the computer.

The connection issue is now a moot point for me.

It's at the bottom of my list of priorities.

I need a pedal board that works.

I can't be standing on stage and have the board quit on me mid-song.

That's not acceptable.

It used to be reliable before the update.

Is there any way to go back to a previous version of the software?

7 minutes ago, MGW-Alberta said:

To answer your query,  I got the unit updated but now when I use it to play guitar, the on-board editing features and switching on the unit are unresponsive.

It plays fine for a while and then stops taking input.

I don't create patches on the computer, I create them on the unit.
As I said in my earlier post, it doesn't want to stay connected to the computer.

That's why I don't edit on the computer.

The connection issue is now a moot point for me.

It's at the bottom of my list of priorities.

I need a pedal board that works.

I can't be standing on stage and have the board quit on me mid-song.

That's not acceptable.

It used to be reliable before the update.

Is there any way to go back to a previous version of the software?

You can roll back to the previous firmware using Line 6 Updater if you want.

Do you have any presets that you've created and saved on the unit yet? If not, before you rollback, I would try doing a factory reset. To do that, you just hold down the two lower right hand footswitches (the Tap and one to the left of it) while powering up. This will unfortunately delete any presets you've created and saved. But it might be worth trying.