Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Future Helix 2

mikefstewart

On 5/27/2019 at 9:49 PM, mitchellisdumb said:

I can't give a timeline. But I can say that Line6 has been laying the groundwork for a "Helix 2" that's an incremental upgrade from the Helix Floor.

HD500X would certainly fit that description. However:

• There were DSP sourcing issues (a faster DSP came out at the same price and IIRC, the old one was discontinued)
  • Line 6 in 2019 is VERY DIFFERENT from Line 6 in 2013, independent of the Yamaha acquisition

It's not up to me—though how I wish it was—but I can say with great confidence that no one on Team Helix has any interest in working on a new flagship that anyone in their right mind might perceive as an "incremental upgrade." We're in it to:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to Line 6/Yamaha/Ampeg patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

8 minutes ago, Digital_Igloo said:

We're in it to:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

ew.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:

It's not up to me—though how I wish it was—but I can say with great confidence that no one on Team Helix has any interest in working on a new flagship that anyone in their right mind might perceive as an "incremental upgrade." We're in it to:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

Well thanks, now I've got a boner for something that doesn't even exist yet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Digital_Igloo said:
  • Line 6 in 2019 is VERY DIFFERENT from Line 6 in 2013 ..We're in it to:
  • soil pants (Emphasis Mine)

Indeed it has changed. Line 6 appears to also be revolutionizing business metrics far beyond the typical ROI (Return on Investment). 

Now you have the new standard of NOSPs (Number of Soiled Pants). One of these days, if you're allowed to, you'll have to share with us what your target NOSP for 2019 is and if you eventually exceeded the 2018 NOSPs from the Stomp's announcement. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, Kilrahi said:

Indeed it has changed. Line 6 appears to also be revolutionizing business metrics far beyond the typical ROI (Return on Investment). 

Now you have the new standard of NOSPs (Number of Soiled Pants). One of these days, if you're allowed to, you'll have to share with us what your target NOSP for 2019 is and if you eventually exceeded the 2018 NOSPs from the Stomp's announcement. 

The technical term is QOSP. Quantity Of Soiled Pants.

• Haha 4

On 6/11/2019 at 11:34 AM, PeterHamm said:

They estimated by the end of spring and never said anything else...

patience, children...

Who is "they" specifically? Id like to know who to praise "specifically" if they release by the end of spring, and who to bad-mouth specifically if they dont... '; ) 

On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:46 PM, spikey said:

Who is "they" specifically? Id like to know who to praise "specifically" if they release by the end of spring, and who to bad-mouth specifically if they dont... '; ) 

Spikey, you know the answer.  They are them.  Now about that QOSP value … :-)

On 6/12/2019 at 12:32 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

• There were DSP sourcing issues (a faster DSP came out at the same price and IIRC, the old one was discontinued)
  • Line 6 in 2019 is VERY DIFFERENT from Line 6 in 2013, independent of the Yamaha acquisition

• drop jaws
  • soil pants

On 6/12/2019 at 1:32 PM, Digital_Igloo said:

• drop jaws
  • soil pants

Will the soiled pants be available in Marketplace?....;)

• 8 months later...
On 6/13/2019 at 3:32 AM, Digital_Igloo said:

• stay ahead of the copycat companies by implementing stuff they simply cannot pull off (due to Line 6/Yamaha/Ampeg patents, domain knowledge, development schedule, or sheer audacity)
  • drop jaws
  • soil pants

OK good luck with that... while we are waiting how about hassling Yamaha for a + model with double the DSP and double the ram? Since your R&D costs have been recovered years ago by now you should easily be able to deliver that as the same price as Helix standard 5 years ago. Everything else can remain teh same so just faster DSP and added ram easy. Then ask Yamaha to buy a majority share in  TC Electronics get them to do new Reverbs, Chorus etc so you can compete with Fractal on the quality of those staple effects..... THEN it's draw dropping without years of waiting....

14 minutes ago, AlienSexGod said:

OK good luck with that... while we are waiting how about hassling Yamaha for a + model with double the DSP and double the ram? Since your R&D costs have been recovered years ago by now you should easily be able to deliver that as the same price as Helix standard 5 years ago. Everything else can remain teh same so just faster DSP and added ram easy. Then ask Yamaha to buy a majority share in  TC Electronics get them to do new Reverbs, Chorus etc so you can compete with Fractal on the quality of those staple effects..... THEN it's draw dropping without years of waiting....

Behringer owns TC Electronic, and TC is pretty much a shell of what they used to be.

And adding additional processing capability is nowhere near as easy as making it sound. For one thing, the type of processors that the Helix uses haven't double in power since the release of the Helix. The amount of processing capability available in the comparable SHARC chip now might be like 20% more. As far as RAM, I don't think that's really even an issue. Also, if case you haven't noticed, production costs keep on increasing, not decreasing. Certainly the trade war between China and the US isn't helping things, but even beyond that, it's not like it would cheaper to make the Helix now than it was 5 years ago.

I was wrong in predicting that Helix 2 would hit the ground running in December 2019. It never happened.

It was actually fun in doing so even if there's still no tuner in the editor... ; )

Oh Its still on the drawing board (Duh) and at some future Winter NAMM they will announce it in all its glory, but I also believe that we will be getting at least a couple MORE big patches in Helix 1st beforehand. It would be stupid to invest time in that programming knowing it will be replaced any time soon Im thinking. But then, Ive been wrong before ; )...

Either way, It good to be a guitar player these days with all the choices available-  

Since your R&D costs have been recovered years ago by now you should easily be able to deliver that as the same price as Helix standard 5 years ago. 

So you expect them to be "fair" about the costs of making an updated Helix? Can you give examples of companies that charge "less" for a new and updated more powerful product? I cant. For example; MRI's have been around for 30+ years now, and the ole (and new) R&D on them has been paid for a thousand time over, yet getting one is still costing the patient (or their Insurance) over 2 grand to get one. So good luck getting a full blown Helix 2 for less than $1399.00. Not saying that I hope your wrong, I just don't see that happening, but...., well, you know... ; )

13 hours ago, spikey said:

...... even if there's still no tuner in the editor... ; )

Oh Its still on the drawing board (Duh) and at some future Winter NAMM they will announce it in all its glory, .....

Ha ha.... Still dreaming, are we?

• Like 1

On 5/27/2019 at 11:07 AM, mikefstewart said:

Total random, curious question.  I am likely to buy a Helix Floor in the next couple of months.  Been researching for too long now.  Thought about Kemper, Fractal or buying a tube amp, etc.  How long do you think it will be before Line 6 says we need a new Helix version, like a Helix 2?  Thanks

If I had to guess, looking at how often Line6 cycles products, I would guess next summer they will announce the next version in correspondence of the version 3.0 of the software. Current generation products will probably still get an update or two, so buying now wouldn't be a terrible deal but if you can swing it I think the Axe FX 3 has more life left (and that's one of the reasons why I think a new Helix is coming).

2 hours ago, BlueD said:

If I had to guess, looking at how often Line6 cycles products, I would guess next summer they will announce the next version in correspondence of the version 3.0 of the software. Current generation products will probably still get an update or two, so buying now wouldn't be a terrible deal but if you can swing it I think the Axe FX 3 has more life left (and that's one of the reasons why I think a new Helix is coming).

Then again... resale value of the Helix is pretty good (or bad, if you're buying), it might drop a little after Helix 2, but an investment now wouldn't be a total loss, even if Helix 2 came out one year from now.  Treat it like a baby and sell it as "Mint condition".

• 1 month later...
On 3/11/2020 at 3:30 AM, phil_m said:

The amount of processing capability available in the comparable SHARC chip now might be like 20% more. As far as RAM, I don't think that's really even an issue. Also, if case you haven't noticed, production costs keep on increasing, not decreasing. Certainly the trade war between China and the US isn't helping things, but even beyond that, it's not like it would cheaper to make the Helix now than it was 5 years ago.

I assure ou if we doubled the processing power... easy to do.. put twice as many sharc processors in or support an intel CPU we would need double the ram.

Have you no idea that THE BIGGEST COST of production something like  Guitar modeller is teh research and development costs They would cost about USD $500 to produce man but had to be sold for $1500 in teh early days to recover R&D plus manufactured cost plus some profit to move forward. If you don't understand my points why try an act like you have dismissed and debunked them?

I don't care who owns TC just license their reverbs and chorus then like Digitech licensed Lexicon reverbs... I dont care if they get a lexicon license but learn to model TC Analg stern chorus like Fractal did... it owns any chorus that the Helix has.... Really if the aim of the game is world domination it's very easy to do some simple updates stay with or blow away the competition at a certain price point

• 2 months later...
On 4/24/2020 at 10:15 AM, AlienSexGod said:

They would cost about USD $500 to produce man but had to be sold for $1500 in teh early days to recover R&D plus manufactured cost plus some profit to move forward.

Your numbers are flawed. You are missing a key point... and it throws quite a monkey wrench in your theory. 

Business 101: Line 6 doesn't sell them for $1500.... the retailer does!

That means it's gone through 2 or even 3 stages of markup... and Line 6 is only responsible for one of those, at the lowest level of profit! L6 profits are likely about 25% - 30% of what you assume they are! And those profits need to pay for the salaries, the R&D, the marketing, the support, the business taxes, the office, the warehouse, the office supplies, the hand trucks, the toilet paper, etc... etc... etc... 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, codamedia said:

Your numbers are flawed. You are missing a key point... and it throws quite a monkey wrench in your theory. 

Business 101: Line 6 doesn't sell them for $1500.... the retailer does!

That means it's gone through 2 or even 3 stages of markup... and Line 6 is only responsible for one of those, at the lowest level of profit! L6 profits are likely about 25% - 30% of what you assume they are! And those profits need to pay for the salaries, the R&D, the marketing, the support, the business taxes, the office, the warehouse, the office supplies, the hand trucks, the toilet paper, etc... etc... etc... 

YES!

...not to mention the fact that the product is continuously improved and updated. If you got one in the early days, as I did, you are looking at MAJOR changes, and new features and models that (at least in my case) are enabling me to make music now I couldn't when it first came out.

Honestly those folks who don't understand that humans are part of the cost of great stuff are just annoying though. They are the same people who think all software should be free so they justify pirating it.

• Like 2

I think one change we might see is a merging of high end modeling with some of the tone matching technology we have seen in lower end amps like the Line6 Amplifi and now the Spark amp. You would have an advanced modeler like a Helix along with a proprietary mapped and matched FRFR sold as a bundle. You would need to have a matched modeler and monitor in order to more accurately predict what sound is going to be delivered. Predictability for the finished product would be the key to accurate reproduction. As we all have experienced, selecting a CustomTone preset for any given song can sound wildly different from the original tone depending on what equipment the user is monitoring with.

You would select any tune and seconds later have a close reproduction of the guitar or bass tone used on it. Rather than analyzing the tone and then trying to match it to an existing library of tones in the cloud as tone matching appears to be done now, the tone and effects used would be rendered accurately onboard. No tone tweaking required at all other than any customization you might want to add and no requirement for a month of Ben Adrian's time to create a faithful model. 

Not a revolutionary concept here, just one that has not been applied to top tier modelers yet. I could see this becoming a crutch for some users who might miss out on developing their own unique tones but it would be a popular feature nonetheless.

• Like 1

On 5/28/2019 at 12:49 PM, mitchellisdumb said:

I can't give a timeline. But I can say that Line6 has been laying the groundwork for a "Helix 2" that's an incremental upgrade from the Helix Floor. With the 2.8 update, they're bringing the codebase together for all of their HX products, even Helix Native. That means they can treat HX less like a product family and more like an ecosystem, in which continuous development of a single stream of software can keep an entire line of products up-to-date.

So just like the HX Effects and HX Stomp are feature-light editions of the Helix, a new flagship "Helix 2" could be released without obsoleting the existing Helix Floor. The 2 would probably have additional DSP to allow for more complex signal chains, and maybe it will have some hardware upgrades—like a larger display, or (my most wished-for feature) a Bluetooth module for iPad control. Maaayyyybe some additional I/O, but... honestly, the I/O is pretty exhaustive already.

If I'm right, then those sorts of hardware updates can keep being released, and us O.G. Helix Floor owners still won't need to worry about missing out on future software upgrades. 

i agree with @mitchellisdumb  .... my wild guess would be at least 3-5yrs from now that Line 6 may have a Helix 2

It's been quite a while since Firehawk was released, and now the Pod go is out, definitely taking it's place in the market lineup.

I am looking to upgrade from FHFX, but don't want to pay full price for already 5-year old Helix hardware, especially when it's resale will drop once the 2 comes out.

JTV is from 2010, and 2015 was a big year with FH, Helix, and Standard.

12 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

but don't want to pay full price for already 5-year old Helix hardware,

You need to change your way of thinking when it comes to the Helix....

The Helix is a software based platform, the hardware is only there for I/O, foot control, and programming. 

Major software updates come more than once a year.... I bought my LT when 2.5 was current and have seen 4 significant updates in just under 2 years and I know their is a major update (v3) is in the works. Hardware has not changed one bit but the Helix I have now is significantly better (IMO) than it was when I bought it. Here is the best part.... it didn't cost me any more money for all those updates. 

So ask yourself....

• Do you need more I/O options that aren't available within the current family of products?
  • Do you need more foot control options? 
  • Do you need a touchscreen? 
  • Do you need more DSP power? 

13 hours ago, codamedia said:

The Helix is a software based platform, the hardware is only there for I/O, foot control, and programming. 

Major software updates come more than once a year.... I bought my LT when 2.5 was current and have seen 4 significant updates in just under 2 years and I know their is a major update (v3) is in the works. Hardware has not changed one bit but the Helix I have now is significantly better (IMO) than it was when I bought it. Here is the best part.... it didn't cost me any more money for all those updates. 

So ask yourself....

• Do you need more I/O options that aren't available within the current family of products?
  • Do you need more foot control options? 
  • Do you need a touchscreen? 
  • Do you need more DSP power? 

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But the hardware still matters. Partly because whatever new software is on it will be optimized for that hardware.  Whenever it's computery stuff, 5 years is a long time. 

And the "newest/best/most accurate" whatever might not run on the hardware of the Helix1. Like trying to run Win10 on a WinXP machine.

Plus, the Helix2 will have "more", whatever that means. Whether it's stuff I need or desire remains to be seen, of course.   

And they won't load the H1 releases with everything the H2 has on it (even if the hardware could run it). 

Kinda like how the PodGo isn't just an incremental upgrade of the Firehawk. I don't expect Helix 2 to be just be a Helix 1 with a faster chip.

Honestly the PodGo would meet almost all my needs, but without Variax interface... have to pass. 

3 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

Whenever it's computery stuff, 5 years is a long time. 

I look at the changes to tablets, phones, smart watches, laptops, etc. over the last five years and there have been some major improvements and a few things that have just plodded along. Fits and starts but five years can definitely bring a lot of change .Add to that the fact that the Helix was in design for a few years prior to its release. They may have selected at least some of their hardware based on what was available towards the beginning of the design phase.  The  current Helix does provide a great platform to build on and has some life in it yet according to Line 6.  I guess they'll put out the Helix II when they think the time is right. The next generation of hardware will put a lot more horsepower under the hood.

17 hours ago, codamedia said:

This perspective is why a  component based approach for a modeler where I could upgrade or add memory, swap out a main board, replace the DSPs with faster and better etc. has always appealed to me. Maybe replace a faulty footswitch, pedal, or LED now and then. Has worked out for me with my computers. Trick out your Helix!

9 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. But the hardware still matters. Partly because whatever new software is on it will be optimized for that hardware. 

And the "newest/best/most accurate" whatever might not run on the hardware of the Helix1. Like trying to run Win10 on a WinXP machine.

I agree with everything you are saying here.... newer machine, faster machine, more opportunity for more advanced programming that "at some point" will not run on the 1st generation of Helix devices. That is an inevitable update. Our opinions differ in that I don't expect there to be any dramatic hardware changes. Sure it might look a little different, get a larger screen.... touchscreen, but I don't expect anything earth shattering. 

9 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

Honestly the PodGo would meet almost all my needs, but without Variax interface... have to pass. 

You are worried about being left behind if you buy a Helix but you would be happy with a Pod Go if it has a VDI port? The Pod Go is a slick little product, but it's already a compromise compared to an existing Helix. 

Have you considered an LT? It has way more features than the POD Go, it has the VDI port,  and it's about 2/3rd the cost of the Helix floor with the same horsepower and programming under the hood!

• Upvote 1

My main complaints with FHFX are the delay in switching presets, many of the distortion models (cleans are pretty good), lack of reamping and dual amp/output chains. Those are the big ones.

By the time I sell FHFX then buy a Pod Go I'm out very little money, and fix my biggest complaints. But no vdi. And I like having control over the Variax with my pedalboard. 

The contrast is if I buy an LT then I'm out significantly more money with a better product, sure. But if I'm going to be out the money I don't want the next one to be out at Christmas.

It's just a money thing. And since Helix has been out 5 years it's not like a new one isn't coming eventually. If it's 1 year I'll wait. If it's 3, probably not. But who knows?!

2 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

If it's 1 year I'll wait. If it's 3, probably not. But who knows?!

Here the rub, though... no matter what the timeline is, L6 is never gonna tell you,  or me, or anybody else until the release is imminent. That's just how they roll. So a year from now if there's still no new hardware (or the announcement thereof), you're gonna be in the exactly the same place you are now...a year closer to "the next big thing"... but a year closer to what and when? You'll still have no actionable info, and still be playing on gear that you already want to upgrade today. Nothing remains the "latest and greatest" for very long anymore... certainly not long enough to justify this sort of purchase strategy. Everything is "old" within a couple of years at this point...tech evolves much faster than it used to. If something suits your needs and you want it, then buy it and play the $hit out of it. Life is short.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, firehawkkwah said:

If it's 1 year I'll wait. If it's 3, probably not. But who knows?!

No one knows!
Therefore, how can you say you will wait a year, but not three.
You are dealing with an unknown.

What exactly is it are you waiting for?
What if the prices of a new version of Helix are 3 times what you can afford - waste of time.
There is always something bigger and better further down the road, or the Earth could be destroyed by a passing Vogon Constructor Ship to make way for a new Intergalactic highway. 

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, firehawkkwah said:

The contrast is if I buy an LT then I'm out significantly more money with a better product, sure. But if I'm going to be out the money I don't want the next one to be out at Christmas.

It's just a money thing. And since Helix has been out 5 years it's not like a new one isn't coming eventually. If it's 1 year I'll wait. If it's 3, probably not. But who knows?!

Here is something to keep in mind.... 

When Line 6 releases a Helix 2, it is going to be the new flagship.... not an LT replacement. Since you say "money is an issue", waiting is not likely to provide much satisfaction. What if that release you wait a couple years for ends up being a $3K Helix that has more power, a touch screen and includes profiling (Kemper) as well as modeling? Something like that would not push the price of the Floor or LT down one cent. 

I'm not trying to be a salesman here, I'm just suggesting that you might want to rethink your approach. 

Me, I'm going to enjoy my Helix LT each and every day until this happens.... 

2 hours ago, datacommando said:

the Earth could be destroyed by a passing Vogon Constructor Ship to make way for a new Intergalactic highway. 

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

I look at the changes to tablets, phones, smart watches, laptops, etc. over the last five years and there have been some major improvements and a few things that have just plodded along. Fits and starts but five years can definitely bring a lot of change .Add to that the fact that the Helix was in design for a few years prior to its release. They may have selected at least some of their hardware based on what was available towards the beginning of the design phase.  The  current Helix does provide a great platform to build on and has some life in it yet according to Line 6.  I guess they'll put out the Helix II when they think the time is right. The next generation of hardware will put a lot more horsepower under the hood.

16 hours ago, codamedia said:

I agree with everything you are saying here.... newer machine, faster machine, more opportunity for more advanced programming that "at some point" will not run on the 1st generation of Helix devices. That is an inevitable update. Our opinions differ in that I don't expect there to be any dramatic hardware changes. Sure it might look a little different, get a larger screen.... touchscreen, but I don't expect anything earth shattering. 

You are worried about being left behind if you buy a Helix but you would be happy with a Pod Go if it has a VDI port? The Pod Go is a slick little product, but it's already a compromise compared to an existing Helix. 

Have you considered an LT? It has way more features than the POD Go, it has the VDI port,  and it's about 2/3rd the cost of the Helix floor with the same horsepower and programming under the hood!

13 hours ago, cruisinon2 said:

Here the rub, though... no matter what the timeline is, L6 is never gonna tell you,  or me, or anybody else until the release is imminent. That's just how they roll. So a year from now if there's still no new hardware (or the announcement thereof), you're gonna be in the exactly the same place you are now...a year closer to "the next big thing"... but a year closer to what and when? You'll still have no actionable info, and still be playing on gear that you already want to upgrade today. Nothing remains the "latest and greatest" for very long anymore... certainly not long enough to justify this sort of purchase strategy. Everything is "old" within a couple of years at this point...tech evolves much faster than it used to. If something suits your needs and you want it, then buy it and play the $hit out of it. Life is short.

12 hours ago, datacommando said:

No one knows!
Therefore, how can you say you will wait a year, but not three.
You are dealing with an unknown.

What exactly is it are you waiting for?
What if the prices of a new version of Helix are 3 times what you can afford - waste of time.
There is always something bigger and better further down the road, or the Earth could be destroyed by a passing Vogon Constructor Ship to make way for a new Intergalactic highway. 

I think there is a bit of a consensus here. Time is the most precious commodity we have. There is no debate that the next generation of modeling equipment will bring greater capability but you can waste a whole lot of time better spent creating than waiting. As has been said no matter when you buy, the next great thing will always be around the corner. Gotta dive in sooner or later.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, HonestOpinion said:

As has been said no matter when you buy, the next great thing will always be around the corner

For sure, and if bro’ “firehawkkwah” is really keen on constant change and new hardware models he should have taken the Fractal route. They change rack boxes more often than my t-shirts. Phew!